Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Roof rack/bike carrier advice
  • liggster
    Free Member

I have a roof rack with that works well for carrying my bikes but since fitting 2.4 width tyres they wont fit in ‘tyre channels’ 🙁 I have to deflate the blooming things to squeeeeze them in Grrr! What alternatives are there without costing a fortune? Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated 😀 Thanks in advance!

toofarwest

Do they need to fit into the channel?
    As long as the straps fit around them and the frame is secure then the bike’s not falling off I’d say.
    I’m happy with my 2.4 mountain kings in the Thule rack I have.

liggster
    Free Member

Yes thats right the channel is too narrow basically. I guess I will just have to deflate and then re-inflate them when I reach my destination. If they are fully inflated they don’t drop into the channel and the straps are then not long enough. Its not a huge issue, just a bit annoying that the channels are too narrow.

simon_g

I think Thule started fitting longer straps to their racks for this reason. I assume they can be retrofitted to older ones.

liggster
    Free Member

Sorry but its not a Thule carrier. Not sure what make, but I bought it for my Toyota.

isto
    Free Member

Is it a Mont Blank rack? If so that happened to me so I got two Thule 591’s for about £120. I kept the other one in case I need to carry three bikes as although its a pain deflating its still a good rack. Would recommend the Thule 591.

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like a mont blanc. Quite common for car manufacturers to supply them.

Either take a dremel to the wheel trays or get some Thules. Halfords were doing buy one get one half price the other week (2 for £120 which is pretty good) but you can get them for about the same online.

liggster
    Free Member

Yes the Dremel might be an option 😉 I will check out the Thules too 😀

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The 2.5 muddy mary on my dh bike fits the thule 591 no bother.

liggster
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Roof rack/bike carrier advice’ is closed to new replies.