Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Roof mounted bike carriers, which one?
  • renton
    Free Member

Im looking to buy a bike carrier for the roof of my car but not sure which to go for as there seem to be so many of them around !!

What do people on here recommend to carry one large mtb?

Im not a brand snob so doesnt bother me if its not thule etc.

Cheers

Steve

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’d only recccomend a Thule, pro rider..

shinobi
    Free Member

I use a Mont Blanc Scott. Does what I want it to do and was about £35 delivered.

porlus
    Free Member

I’ve got a mint blanc barracuda. Works a treat. Handy feature is a deep slot for the front wheel that can actually hold the bike whilst you mess around with the clamp arm.

renton
    Free Member

That mont blanc one looks ok !!

whats it like then ? does it fit to the bars ok enough?

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got the Pendle one, only downside is you have to remove the front wheel – i prefer this as it seems more solid but the Thule ones look pretty good to be fair.

porlus
    Free Member

That mont blanc one looks ok !!

whats it like then ? does it fit to the bars ok enough?

Works fine. Have you got aero or rectangular bars. My roof bars are rectangular. The clamps on the mont blanc are great. Nice and tight. If you have the aero bars it comes with the correct bits for installing.

renton
    Free Member

Not got the bars yet either!! Looking at a set of halfords bars unless you can recommend any others?

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got both Thule 591s and a Mont Blanc Barracuda. Both are decent. The front wheel holder on the Barracuda can be a bit tight with larger tyres. The Thule 591s won’t reach the downtube on my Scott Genius, and I’d imagine this is a problem on other bikes too. The arm on the Barracuda is a little bit longer, but still not quite long enough.

pdw
    Free Member

For me, the only real advantage of aero bars is that they allow you to carry more bikes. With square bars, you can’t put a bike carrier directly above the feet of the bars, but with aero bars you can.

porlus
    Free Member

Yeah the front wheel holder can be a little tight. I tend to let some air out and pump back up when I get to the ride start.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I found the Barracuda a bit of a tight fit for the front wheel if you have a 29er with a 2.3 tyre. Other than that a pretty good piece of kit.I now use a Thule 951 for the reasons above though.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Atera Giro and Thule wing bars.

Done a couple of 1000 mies with various bikes (carbon, alu and steel frames) on them with no problems at all.

nosedive
    Free Member

if you can afford it definitely thule aero bars for the reasons above, you get so much more clamping area.

I use the cheaper thule carrier (freeride 531 or something). The clamp is less fancy but I think the design is more secure as it goes around both sides of the downtube rather than the design that clamps top and bottom, my friends bike slipped sideways and came out of one of those.

I have had no trouble getting the bikes into the freeride carrier, everything from 12 inch wheel kids bikes to a Patriot and everything in betweeen

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have for sale a pair of thule 591 pro locking bike carriers mounted on a pair of Thule aero bars with locking foot pack suitable for VW Passat estate (or similar shape) roof rails.With all keys etc etc, in used but good condition, was going to clean them and put them on ebay tommorrow as I have no longer got the Passat and have a towball mount for my SUV now. Make me a reasonable offer if you want or pm me if you are interested. Failing that take your chances on ebay tomorrow. 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Suggsey what sort of age and condition are they in?

What number is the foot pack?

How much are you after for the bars and one of the bike carriers?

Can’t email you as no email addy in your profile!!

Drop me a mail mate!

Cheers

Steve

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just checked the modern foot from Thule 757 and its the same for my old passat so basically the rails and foot pack should be an exact fit!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Sorry Steve only just seen this will pm you.

renton
    Free Member

Hello mate according to Mazda I need a 757 foot pack and 861 aero bars to fit my car

If this is what you have then let me know mate and we can sort a price!!

Cheers

Steve

Suggsey
    Free Member

YGM 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

YG too many M 😆
    Specs have changed from Thule over the years and it now looks like they spec extra long bars for fitting loads of extra bits on your bars but i hope to have explained in the emails.
    Chris

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Have a look to see if Lidl still have the aero bars in as they are spot on for the cash, i then filed down the little sqares on my mont blanc so they fit in the rail

renton
    Free Member

Suggsey your mobile numbers not working bud??

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Roof mounted bike carriers, which one?’ is closed to new replies.