Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Roof boxes. The good and the bad?
  • benz
    Free Member

Heading away on a family holiday in the next few weeks. We are taking the car and quite a lot of stuff.

I’ve bought some Thule aero bars, etc off local a Gumtree for a decent price and now thinking about buying a box via the same route or borrowing one.

So…are they all created equal? For example Karrite v Thule v Kamei, etc?

Basically I’d like one which does not significantly impact fuel consumption but will be secure and attach to the aero bars….

Recommendations please.

wrecker
    Free Member

Very happy with my thule ranger.
    Clever system which folds up quite small and is very easy to install/remove. Big too!

spacemonkey

Had a Kamei and used it several times over 4 years. Very nice piece of kit. Does what it says on the tin and IMO better VFM than one or two of the better known variants.

ads678

The more expensive one generally have a better open/close mechanism. I’ve had a Mont blanc one for years, the opening mech broke fairly quickly and I’ve since totally modified this, but fuel economy wise it’s great. And it’s massive!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I have a Mont Blanc too – not broken it yet but >1% overloaded and the bugger won’t lock. Drives me up the wall.

falkirk-mark

I have a Thule Ranger, great piece of kit I did worry about security but thought it would never be on the car overnight or without me nearby and how much safer is a plastic box with a lock anyway. Folds up to a good size also.

petrieboy

We had a kamei when we had the Zafira and any impact on mpg was too small to notice.

stox
    Free Member

I’ve got a halfords ‘exodus’ box … Pretty big one that fits on my octavia estate.
    It was up for a bargain price a few years ago plus BC discount made it too tempting.
    Fits to the Thule bars in 5 minutes. Seems solid. Not had an issue with it.
    not sure how secure the lock is but I don’t usually leave anything of value I the box.
    Father in law has a Thule roof box which you can open from both sides which is quite handy. the exodus doesnt

benp1

I don’t think brand is a deal breaker

I think they all have gas struts, get one with double sided opening, makes life much easier

I have a Land Rover one, made by Thule, but fitted to a BMW. It’s ace. Had a Peugeot one before that which was also fine, but only single sided opening

The land rover one has an excellent quick attach and release mechanism for the roof box u bolts

wallop

+1 Thule Ranger – nice and easy to get into your loft for storing.

johndoh
    Free Member

So further to this – what’s the biggest box available? I’ve seen a 640 litre one by Thule, is there a thing bigger?

simon_g

I’ve rented Thule boxes before and been happy with them – unless you’re using them more than a couple of times a year it can work out better than buying then having to store the thing.

re: size, most car roofs and bars are rated for a total load of 75kg which is quite easy to reach with anything sizeable. I’ve used medium sized ones and it still takes some planning about what to stick up there, ideally you want bulkier and lighter things while heavier stuff goes in the boot.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

halfords stuff is thule stuff btw…

Harry_the_Spider

Had a 470l Karrite Odyssey for years. Can’t fault it. No gas strut though. Karrite are a Thule brand also I think.

Are Thule the VAG of roof boxes?

Marko

I have a Halfords ‘Exodus’, bought S/H from the Bay of Fools. Flimsy and can be a pain to lock when stuffed full, but it weighs nothing (empty) and barely effects fuel consumption.

I paid around £120 including a pair of roof bars – collection only naturaly.

Hth
    Marko

perchypanther
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Thule Ranger 90. Had mine for 5 years for the annual trek to Cornwall and it’s been brilliant.

Storing a large plastic box for 50 weeks of the year is a PITA and when you’re on your holibobs you also need to either keep it on the car or find somewhere secure to store it when you’re there.
    With the folding soft box this is not a problem.

In conjunction i’d also recommend Crane dry bags from Aldi at ten quid apiece. 4 of these fill a ranger 90 (almost) exactly. Makes loading and unloading the box a piece of piss.

molgrips
    Free Member

The fabric ones look significantly less aero, can anyone confirm this? I often see them flapping like hell down the motorway which seems as if it would be noisy.

wrecker
    Free Member

The fabric ones look significantly less aero, can anyone confirm this?

It has quite a lot of straps to tighten it up, but ultimately it depends on the shape of whatever you put in it. Ours usually carries a pram/child carrying thingy and a few other bags.
    For convenience, I think it’s very good.

prezet
    Free Member

Another one for a Thule Ranger here. Easy to fit to the car, loads of space. Folds up nicely to store away in the garage when not in use. Much cheaper than a solid box too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The fabric ones look significantly less aero, can anyone confirm this? I often see them flapping like hell down the motorway which seems as if it would be noisy.

Only if you’re dumbass enough to leave them half empty.
    Fill the Aldi dry bags = fill the box = MOAR AERO! = more room in the car.

I can absolutely confirm that, despite it’s advancing years, my soft box has never flapped as I always ensure that it’s adequately stuffed. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Nothing worse than a flappy box.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I had a Halfords Exodus box (the long, thin ski type one). It was excellent – swallowed LOADS of stuff. We packed the boot with clothes etc and thinks like kids bikes, footballs, buggy etc went in the roof box.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Roof boxes. The good and the bad?’ is closed to new replies.