Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Roof Bike Carrier (upside down?)
  • slackman99
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Just picked up new company car with my new job. Unlike my old estate, this one is a hatch back and will definitely require me to remove both wheels to get my bike in it. No massive problems, but I have been tempted by a roof rack mounted carrier. This would also mean that after a dirty ride, the dirty bike stays outside the car.

Having looked at some different carriers, it seems to me that the ones that carry the bike upside down and clamp to the bars and saddle are more stable than the ones that rely on an upright bar to hold the downtube?

Has anyone used any upside down carriers? Are they any good? Any problems with carrying a bike upside down?

Anyone had any experience of the EZ Quick as it seems like a good idea?

druidh
    Free Member

slackman99 – Member
    Having looked at some different carriers, it seems to me that the ones that carry the bike upside down and clamp to the bars and saddle are more stable than the ones that rely on an upright bar to hold the downtube?

And yet these are by far the majority. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I’d revise your assumption and look again.

slackman99
    Free Member

I realise that most use the upright bar, but I can’t see why. They don’t make much sense to me other than manufacturers can sell a more expensive item.

The upright clamps to the (relatively thin tube) down tube to support the bike. Upside down carriers attach to the points I attach to when i’m riding so are designed to take load. Also the handle bar width will help stability (which is why most people will turn their bike upside down to work on it rather than try and balance it the right way up!).

I’ll have another look, take it Thule are way to go?

Anyone else have any experience of an upside down carrier?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I have a full set of thule upright carriers but I can see what you are on about.

I like the idea of EZ quick as there is not much hardware on you roof as with a standard set up, also less obvious that it is a bike rack always a concern when I leave mine on the car advertising the fact I have bikes in my garage.

the EZ system is also cheaper than the equivalent thule versions

let me know if you find any others than the EZ set up ta Pete

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Roof Bike Carrier (upside down?)’ is closed to new replies.