Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roof Bars for a Mk4 Golf?
  • chipster

I’ve just taken the bike to bits again, to take it off somewhere for a ride. I need roof bars!!
    They’ll be left on the car, so I’m thinking Thule Wingbars, Whispbar flush or through bars?
    Which ones will be bestest, usually for just one bike, occasionally 2.

Also, is the STW favourite bike carrier still a Thule?

Your opinions, please.

LAT

I have the very thing you need in my garage. Mail me. You can have them if you collect them. I’m in Hampshire on the coast near Dorset border.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted Wingbars on the Octavia, definitely quieter than the older aero bars. 3 x Thule 591’s are still going strong.

timmys

Whispbars + Thule 598’s would be the nicest option, but whether the additional cost from Wingbars + 591’s is worth it is kinda up to you.

591 > 598 would be a bigger ‘upgrade’ than Wingbar > Whispbar IMHO.

I have Whispbar rail bar + a 598 on my car (with a couple of 591’s when needing more than one bike).

strawb3110
    Free Member

Same as LAT, I have some old ones in the garage, I’m based in Northants if any good to you?

chipster

Thanks for the replies and offers, folks.
    I’m in West Yorkshire, so a bit too “not local” to pick up.
    It’s likely I’ll choose the Whispbar flush, is Roofbox.co.uk the place to order from?
    If I order a Thule 598 from CRC (BC discount), will I need a fitting kit/adaptor to fit it to the Whispbar?

iainc

when I bought 598’s the other week (and new wingbars) the cheapest place was Halfords, with 10% BC discount.

chipster

Thanks Ianc, a Yorkshireman is always attracted to a discount. 😉

timmys

Roofbox.co.uk are good. If you went Thule for everything one advantage is you can get places like roofbox.co.uk to supply locks that use the same key for bars and carriers.

chipster

That could be even betterer, timmys, thanks.
    Still, I think I’d prefer the flush type, rather than the through bar, though. 😳
    Edit: As the bars will be staying on the car, different keys shouldn’t be problem, anyway.

timmys

Looking back I’ve actually used roofracks.co.uk more often than roofbox.co.uk so you could give them a look too.

chipster

Thanks for that, Timmys, I’ll have a look.

chipster

It looks as though, if I want Whispbars, which I do, it’ll have to be roofbox.co.uk.
    The Thule 598 will have to come from Halfords, to take advantage of the 10% British Cycling discount (CRC are out of stock).
    Thanks again for all the replies and ideas, folks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roof Bars for a Mk4 Golf?’ is closed to new replies.