Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • roof bars and bikes…
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

so if i get some roof bars (i.e. NOT a specific bike carrier, just some bars which go across the roof) for my friends ford Ka, can i just strap bikes to it (with some insulation pipe protection)?

obviously it would be strapped down properly.

can't really afford a proper bike carrier, and we plan to take a tandem on the roof anyway…

can't see any problems really, can you???

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

noone?

🙁

timraven

I wouldn't, the force of the wind is not to be underestimated.

I've had a tyre pulled off the bead by a motorway cross wind, while the bike was on a proper carrier.

That said it would depend on how fast your going to be driving.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

surely thats a risk with any roof mounted bike carrying?
    i'd have thought that with a bike on its side, wind would be less of an issue than if its stood up?

TooTall
    Free Member

You'd be surprised at the forces going through things on a roof rack. Given you plan to do it at points it isn't designed to take those forces, then it is your adventure. Then again, I've seen what happens when you don't secure loads properly for freight movement so I probably over-restrain everything I move.

timraven

True, I'm more than a little paranoid about the bike being on the roof anyway, so more likely my fear than a real one.

Some good straps and a bit of care would probably be ok.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

not dismissing what you say, but i don't quite understand.

the rack i plan to get (a mont blanc one) has the bars which go across the roof. to these, one could attach a bike carrier thingy, which would be attached at 2 points to the roof bars. the bike would be held vertically up.

i'm planning on lying the bike horizontally on its side, securing it at probably 4 points to the roof bars.

surely my method is more secure (double the contact points), and results in less wind resistance, as the bike is horizontal, closer to the car roof, rather than vertical, plus the reduction in the side wind forces.

FWIW the front wheel would be off, as i can't be bothered to turn handlebars etc

the roof rack is specific for the ford ka, and as such is definitly suitable.

sorry if i sound a bit thick!

Gephaudio
    Free Member

Be careful of low gateways and overhanging branches, as your car will be slightly taller

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have done this a few times with no problems whatsoever. Just put some padding in and be careful tying it down. You are absolutely right that bikes lying down will have less forces trying to pull them off compared to upright bikes

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks TJ, its a tandem i'm thinking of attaching…
    gephaudio, the car is pretty low down as it is, i don't think height will be too much of a problem 😉

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Your top speed and fuel economy might take a hit, too. I had 2 (admittedly large) surfboards on the roof of my Ka and it struggled to hit 65 on the motorway. It's ok though, 'cos everyone knows small cars with big things on the roof = cool.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

aye, i've decided that i'm not going to drive like i'm 70, at 60 on the motorways… 80 in a ka drinks fuel 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘roof bars and bikes…’ is closed to new replies.