Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Ronnie Biggs is dead
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

It always sickened me how the British press and the cool crowd (possibly post Malcolm Mclaren and Sex Pistols) fawned over him.

Just to clarify – John Lydon was not involved.

“I think it’s disgusting. That driver they coshed could have been my dad”.

And let’s not forget the ex-Lydon Pistols, Julien Temple and McLaren organising that great song with Biggs on lead vocal about how the holocaust was just the Nazi’s idea of “having fun”. Yeah. Cool.

tpbiker
    Free Member

& a repugnant human being. Turned into a loveable rogue by the press who largely treated the crime as a victimless affair, despite the train driver never recovering. Ran like a chicken to escape justice and then squealed like a b**ch for free health care – then appealed to be released due to being ‘about to die’ – over 4 years ago.

^ I think this post sums things up nicely.

RIP Ronnie.. A hero and a role model to many, many people

I imagine if your role model and hero is a man who was reponsible for another man’s death, purely through greed, then there are some people that have some very skewed values

If he had done his time I think he’d be reviled less. His subsequent actions mean I’m not sorry at all, one less scumbag’s medical bills to pay….

johndoh
    Free Member

I imagine if your role model and hero is a man who was reponsible for another man’s death, purely through greed, then there are some people that have some very skewed values

If he had done his time I think he’d be reviled less. His subsequent actions mean I’m not sorry at all, one less scumbag’s medical bills to pay….

Don’t rise to it, he was just saying it for effect. I am sure he didn’t mean a word of it.

crikey
    Free Member

I bet ‘e laaaaved ‘is old mum though, add in other Brit gangster clichés as required…

bob_summers

Who’s singing on these then?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTD2lGR_Nc

brakes
    Free Member

may he rot in pieces.

BoardinBob

winston_dog
    Free Member

In 1947, Ronnie Biggs joined the Royal Air Force. Two years later, he got into trouble with police and the military authorities. Dishonorably discharged for theft and other crime, Biggs received a short prison sentence for stealing a car. More criminal exploits followed, with Biggs ending up sentenced to more than three years in prison for robbery.

For much of the 1950s, Biggs cycled through the British criminal-justice system on numerous theft-related charges.

Sounds like a pretty sad, pathetic individual. Couldn’t keep a job down and decided to take stuff for nothing.
    Also, this is only when he got caught. No doubt there was plenty of other shitty stuff. Seems like he got lucky by getting on a “big” job.

poly
    Free Member

Does anyone know if it’s standard practise for people to be released on compassionate grounds when they are terminally ill?

There is no automatic right to early release on compassionate grounds north or south of the border. You (or your legal representative) ask the Justice Minister to consider it and (s)he make a decision. The exact rules are slightly different in Scotland and England – but the overarching principle is the same which is why it was so bizarre that Westminster were up-in-arms about Megrahi – because the concept of compassionate release was not alien to their judicial system.

There are maybe a dozen releases each year in the whole of the UK. Not every application is successful – but by the time it gets to the Ministers it has effectively already had several informal screens where it could fall down: the lawyer thought it was worth the effort; presumably the legal aid board agreed to fund it; the doctors wrote reports that supported the case; the minister then needs to consult the parole board etc. The general guidance is a life expectancy of 3 months (but of course that is – to an extent – guesswork). The English rules suggest they should be bedridden or severely incapacitated, and should not put the public at risk.

dragon
    Free Member

Good riddance.

Cougar

Heard this on the news this morning, my first thought was “good.” I did wonder if I’d get mauled for expressing that sentiment on here, but seemingly not.

So, good.

jimster
    Free Member

Nice of the BBC to have his story on the home page – nice to see he helped the cops by leaving his fingerprints at the hideout.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interestingly his son (the one who was very vocal about release in 2009 IIRC) can be seen as a product of his efforts to evade justice – once he had a child in Brazil he was exempt from extradition.

mooman
    Free Member

bob_summers – Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPYpwztorI

John Lydon/Rotten left the Sex Pistols during the American tour. Malcolm McClaren put the Great Rock and Roll Swindle film together without John Lydon after they had split..

grum
    Free Member

For much of the 1950s, Biggs cycled through the British criminal-justice system on numerous theft-related charges.

At least he was a cyclist then.

:sorry:

😐

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah but I bet he didn’t stop at red lights…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I hereby revise my opinion.

John Lydon is a tosseur. 👿

Slight diversion, as you were.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure there are many thousands of people in this world who died at the same time.
    These were good, law obiding souls. Doctors, cleaners, carers, engineers, whatever.
    Is there any mention of these poor people (apart from the local rag obituary)?
    Why not?
    Because the media couldn’t care less. Of course they should do but they don’t.
    We too are to blame glorifying criminals for what they are.
    Lets hope none of you guys comes accross the bad end of a bad guy.

bob_summers

Woppit, you are correct inasmuch as he had nothing to do with the Ronnie Biggs shenanigans, but unfortunately Belsen Was a Gas taints him somewhat.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m more interested in if he:
    A) drove a Jaaaag
    B) wore a sheepskin jacket
    C) smoked cigars
    D) wore a trilby hat

or all of the above..

You sllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaa….

RustySpanner

Ha Barbara Windsor spouted off about how he was a really nice, salt of the earth bloke yet?

convert

Biggs being dead – could not give toss.

What I do give a toss about is the BBC making it their first news item on radio, tv and prime story on their homepage. He was ‘bigg (sorry couldn’t resist!) news’ and a sort of celebrity back in the day (for reason that I think look rather foolish through modern eyes) so I can see that reporting his death was inevitable but it should have been a quick addendum at the end, almost to signify his lack of importance. In my opinion their handling of this makes them look yet again to have poor judgement.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m not sure that I was saying it for effect..

I’ve expressed this opinion on here before and I’ll express it again.. I don’t happen to agree with labelling criminals as scum.
    In my opinion they have just chosen to turn their backs on an unscrupulous and grossly unfair society and said ‘screw this for a game of soldiers, I’m gonna take what I want and the hell with the lot of you’ which is not necessarily a bad thing IMO..
    I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do per say, or that we should all follow his example.. I just find something admirable in the way they have played the hand they were dealt..

Judge me if it makes you feel better about yourself

piemonster

Am remarkably indifferent to his demise.

Irritated at his escape from justice at a point in his life when it would have mattered.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Looking forward to yunki not blubbing about having his bike stolen… 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

On more important news:

That Lostprophets bloke is up for sentancing at the moment, I’m hoping he gets 1zillion years and lives to see that out.
    Evil, truely evil.

RustySpanner

yunki – Member

I’m not sure that I was saying it for effect..

I’ve expressed this opinion on here before and I’ll express it again.. I don’t happen to agree with labelling criminals as scum.
    In my opinion they have just chosen to turn their backs on an unscrupulous and grossly unfair society and said ‘screw this for a game of soldiers, I’m gonna take what I want and the hell with the lot of you’ which is not necessarily a bad thing IMO..

How did you do on that psychopathy/Voight-Kampff test last week? 😀

rusty90
    Free Member

In my opinion they have just chosen to turn their backs on an unscrupulous and grossly unfair society

So if someone hit you over the head and stole your money you wouldn’t have a problem with that?

teethgrinder

Looking forward to yunki blubbing about having his bike stolen…

Or someone he loves getting twatted with an iron bar?

BoardinBob

I’m gonna take what I want and the hell with the lot of you’ which is not necessarily a bad thing IMO..

Are you talking about Ronnie Biggs or bankers?

johndoh
    Free Member

Judge me if it makes you feel better about yourself

You could be judged, but I would certainly not do it to feel better about myself. If you truly believe what you are saying then all I can add is an emoticon 🙁

wwaswas

re: Ian Watkins. He’s just unbelievable;

yunki
    Free Member

I got about 50% rustyspanner- a very well balanced and wholesome individual me 😀

grum
    Free Member

Apologies for serious Thatcher point coming up….

Heard this on the news this morning, my first thought was “good.” I did wonder if I’d get mauled for expressing that sentiment on here, but seemingly not.

So, good.

I seem to remember when Thatcher died that there was a fair amount of outrage on here about people celebrating her death (not saying it was from you Cougar) and people saying you should never celebrate anyone’s death.

Seems to be quite a different view now…

jaymoid
    dooosuk
    Free Member

Anyone know what happened to his first wife and child that flew out to live with him in Australia before he did the runner to Rio?

You never hear from them, just his Brazilian son.

johndoh
    Free Member

Anyone else think he looks like Michael Bentine?

fasthaggis

Have you gone potty time ?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I seem to remember when Thatcher died that there was a fair amount of outrage on here about people celebrating her death (not saying it was from you Cougar) and people saying you should never celebrate anyone’s death.

Seems to be quite a different view now…

I don’t think there much celebrating on here, merely people expressing a view point on him, ie that he was a lowlife and they aren’t sorry to see him go. Doubt anyones planning a streetparty…..

konabunny
    Free Member

Anyone know what happened to his first wife and child that flew out to live with him in Australia before he did the runner to Rio?
    You never hear from them, just his Brazilian son.

You mean the person about whom the ITV drama miniseries “Mrs Biggs” was made last year?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Ronnie Biggs is dead’ is closed to new replies.