Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Romantic Weekend Away
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

I am looking for a romantic long weekend mini break to an European Destination, travelling by train.

The key criteria are:

Off the beaten track
    Romantic
    Decent Restaurants
    A bit of culture.

Where have you been that seriously impressed your laydees?

Cheers!

Mackem

San Sebastian, but the train trip might be pretty long (depends on where you are coming from obviously though)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where are you starting?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toulouse on the TGV?
    Amsterdam? Lovely city.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Dont know if its off the beaten track but Bruges is very accessible by Train, and ticks alot of those other points, IMO.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I shall be starting in West Sussex, realistically we will be getting on to the Eurostar as a first move.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Bruges

We did think about that but then wondered if it had maybe suffered a little from the success of the movie.

martinhutch

Bruges +1

You don’t want to spend the entire weekend on a train.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Curve ball*

Could I ask why the train specifically? With LGW on your doorstep (Sort of!) you could get to all manner of amazing places beyond the reach of a train for a weekend away.

Either way, if you do end up in the ‘Dam, let me know! I can recommend all manner of places to go!

Torminalis
    Free Member

Bruges is edging it, with Amsterdam a firm second.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mackem

Not sure about Bruges, nice to look at but dull once it gets dark and all the tourists go.

emsz
    Free Member

Have a look on the sheepskin cottages website. Not abroad, but the cottages are really romantic. We went to one after new year near Hye on Wye, and it was so pretty and lovely. Little wood stove, really really comfy bed. Gorgeous

Torminalis
    Free Member

Could I ask why the train specifically?

Good question, not sure to be honest. I reckon the train might be a bit more romantic than flying.

If flying was an option, what would you suggest CFH?

SamB
    Free Member

Lille is quite nice – a little touristy, but the food is great (if you like Flemish food, so meat-heavy). Last time I was there I had mature cheese and whiskey as a starter. 8)

titusrider
    Free Member

get rid of your travel budget and blow the accomodation budget:
    http://www.lainstonhouse.com/EXCLUSIVE_HOTELS/the_hotel.aspx

Or one of the ‘sister’ hotels they make fantastic romantic getaways, the rooms and bathrooms are mind blowing

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Flying can be very pleasant. Just need to know how to do it right!

If flying, I’d look at the following;
    Amsterdam (Again! I like it. It’s a lovely city!)
    Barcelona or Madrid – Take your pick, both rather lovely.
    Munich – Great city, often very much overlooked
    Turin – As above
    Moscow? Long shot, but what an amazing/fascinating place to go.

Mackem

If we are talking flying, then Vienna.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Not sure about Bruges, nice to look at but dull once it gets dark and all the tourists go.

Its best in the dark when the tourists go, lots of dark back alleys to explore with your loved one, so to speak 😯

freddyg
    Free Member

Depends what you want. Party central or romantic dinner….

The OP wants a romantic weekend away so I would anticipate a nice restaurant and relaxed drink.

Bruges is spot on for that.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I must admit the prospect of getting on a train and watching the world fly by on our way somewhere sounds far more appealing that dealing with an airport and then boarding a plane so I am going to stick with the train.

Bruges or Amsterdam are still looking like the main contenders.

Munich could be a great place to go as well, I am told the service in Germany is leagues ahead of the UK.

Mackem

Most of the restaurants in Bruges just seemed to serve beer and chips.

freddyg
    Free Member

The tourist ones do – be a little more adventurous. 😉

Edit: Clicky

Mackem

I like beer and chips mind.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sounds lovely torm, when are we going? xx

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Bruges is beautiful, lots of lovely places, nice beers, culture, easy to get to. Tie it in right and watch Tour of Flanders kick off from there 😉

Amsterdam okay but over the two (having been to both) I would say Bruges is way nicer and better.

Torminalis
    Free Member

sounds lovely torm, when are we going? xx

I am thinking February old chap. How you fixed?

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

By yourself, et al. or with the Mrs. ?

whattyre
    Free Member

florence…the most romantic place ive ever been…loads of cheap airlines go there
    food/wine is awesome
    citys very cool too

philbert31
    Free Member

Amsterdam, stay near the leidesplein (quieter) but within an nice 15 min walk to the red light district, stunning place especially at night and loads to do and see.

Torminalis
    Free Member

With the soon-to-be Mrs.

florence

Ooo, that sounds like a good plan. [goes to research]

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

If you had any ‘lady-skills’ at all, you wouldn’t even be thinking about it. You see, if you give, they expect. If you don’t give, they expect, but don’t expect. Clear yeah?

Now go organize a biking weekend and MTFU.

I have spoken.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you can’t just expect me to drop everything for a bromantic trip abroad!

i’m going to sulk now until you buy me enough things to be forgiven.

freddyg
    Free Member

If you go to Amsterdam – the Supper Club is an interesting place to try (or it was about 8 years ago when we last went)

whattyre
    Free Member

theyres loadsa quaint hotels..i had a great time there.so did the last missus.

i should have proposed… 😥
    numpty..

Torminalis
    Free Member

i’m going to sulk now until you buy me enough things to be forgiven.

Two words my friend: Separation anxiety. I like your dog too much to whisk you away for bromance and gentle strolls along European riverbanks.

If you had any ‘lady-skills’ at all, you wouldn’t even be thinking about it. You see, if you give, they expect. If you don’t give, they expect, but don’t expect. Clear yeah?

Do you do correspondence classes?

Torminalis
    Free Member

i should have proposed

Too late?

Buzzard
    Free Member

Another vote for Bruges. Been 3 times and loved it everytime, but particularly enjoyed the year we stumbled upon the canal festival (think its normally summer time though) which I can HIGHLY recommend for a weekend.

philconsequence
    Free Member

surely, considering your mutual interests…. research into some kinda computer game convention type thing you could visit, you’d be the only person their in a relationship so be prepared to battle for her

theprawn
    Free Member

canterbury – tasting menu with wines at Abode (Michael Caines – he of the rubber hand).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Romantic Weekend Away’ is closed to new replies.