Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rollers – flat vs parabolic
  • Rik
    Free Member

Going to buy some rollers for training.

Some makes are flat smooth rollers some have shaped parabolic rollers which are supposed to be easier and more stable to ride.

How much harder to use are the flat ones for someone who’s only ever used a turbo before.

As I’m swaying towards a resistance model that has flat smooth metal rollers.

maxtorque

Never found the parabolic ones any easier to ride on, and frankly after a bit of practise (Between 5mins and 35mins depending on how good you balance is) you can ride any type of roller quite easily.

TiRed

Never tried Parabolic, but diameter is more important (for resistance) than profile. Put a small light on the front and aim to keep it in an area on a wall/garage door when riding. And buy Kreitler 3″, nothing else comes close.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I purchased a set of these recently.

SportsCrafters

It took about 10 minutes to get the hang of it although I still use a chair to help get going.

I’ve ridden off the side twice, no problem either time and no nasty falls or anything else a merchant of doom (who had never used rollers) said would happen.

Rik
    Free Member

BigEar – good to hear, it’s the more expensive resistive versions of those I’m going to get

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mine are flat, no issues after the first session.
    Can now ride no handed and watch TV! Except when headcam footage comes on, then everything goes pear shaped quickly and I have focus on a spot on the wall above the TV!

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Rik,

I also purchased this progresive drum which at the time meant I got the more expensive rollers at a cheaper price 😀

I think they might have dropped the price on the pro’s now but you could still do that so you have a spare ‘normal’ drum.

globalti
    Free Member

What’s the advantage of rollers over a turbo?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

You can fall off rollers. Makes it more exciting!

Helps with smooth pedalling, core strength, concentration and is more like riding a bike.
    Downside is less good for power workouts as bike not rigidly fixed.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Flat will be fine. As an illustration, here’s my 10 year old on the ones I bought last week, after a 30 minute practice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rollers – flat vs parabolic’ is closed to new replies.