Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Rollers
  • scratch
    Free Member

Toying with the idea.

Anyone had any success? Or just some comedy garage based dismounts?

I fancy a set to improve pedal stroke and to make it a little more ‘interesting’ than the turbo

fourbanger
    Free Member

Yeah, really tear your technique apart I find. Struggle to do more than half an hour at a time personally, but you can get a warmup and some intervals in in that time.

scratch
    Free Member

Yeah I’m just thinking of doing 20min technique sessions on them, not so much for intervals, just learning to spin a bit more effectively.

allthegear
    Free Member

Recent convert.

I like how they do show how terrible my pedalling technique is – I’m really trying to improve it now and I think it will help my riding.

I set them up in the hallway, which is tiled, as I find I can use the walls to give me a little bit of a confidence boost. Would be terrified in the middle of a room.

Rachel

karnali
    Free Member

like my rollers a lot, good session kicking about on the web spin ups etc. much more enjoyable than turbo

IHN

Yeah, I took delivery of some last week. So far I’ve spent about ten minutes on them in the garage doorway. For at least five of those I wasn’t holding on to the door-jam for grim death, and even then I was staring at the main door at the far end like I was trying to burn holes in it with my eye lasers 🙂

Building myself up to riding clipped in…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Been using them for a month or so. They’re very easy to learn, 15mins in a doorframe and you’re good. I’ve dismounted a few times when absolutely churning or right at the end of sessions when I could barely even see.

All the people who struggle with them must either have heinous pedal strokes, terrible balance or both. They’re much easier than their reputation would suggest.

allthegear
    Free Member

Funny isn’t it, how we look at things differently – I would be terrified of riding on it *not* clipped in!!

Rachel

IHN

All the people who struggle with them must either have heinous pedal strokes, terrible balance or both

Hi there! 🙂

To be fair, after the first scarey five minutes, you fairly quickly get the hang of it and I can totally see how they force a smooth pedal stroke and a strong core.

It is like riding on ice though…

scratch
    Free Member

Thanks, cadence and pedalling technique is a big thing for me over the winter so I’m hoping they’ll help me spin a better circle.

As for learning, the Youtube videos are scary enough! I saw one a while back where a guy attempts to bunyhop sideways off a set!

Thanks all!

fourbanger
    Free Member

good session kicking about on the web

linky?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I love the rollers, look forward to a session on them 🙂 Did my first turbo sess last night since Feb, realised just how much i prefer rollers to turbo. But rollers not suitable for max effort work. My pedalling technique has come on loads with weekly roller sessions.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’m lucky/ unlucky that I ride to work everyday, so get at least 26 miles in, and will always try and extend the run home even if it’s just by a half hour.  I went with a set of rollers with a resistance unit when my daughter was born, and use these when I’m in alone (daughter in bed) and MrsB is out, so have used them in all seasons for the last 2 years.  I can generally tolerate just over an hour with some music on.  I’ve tried turbo’s but just cannot get motivated to really lay it down with them, so I’m quite happy to spin with the rollers as it’s only a spot of bonus exercise.  One of the lads I ride with, will pack away his bikes for the winter at the end of October, and just move to the turbo doing sessions of up to 3-4 hours; I would rather drink tramps urine.  But he holds his fitness well over the winter. 

robowns
    Free Member

Anyone tried rollers on an mtb with nobblies?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Secret to riding rollers is just looking ahead and not thinking about what is beneath you.
    Only comedy off’s I’ve had has been trying to hop on and off. Still can’t do it.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Rollers rock, both for technique and interval work. I do all my sessions on them, Tabata, Sufferfest, you name it.

They can be used with nobblies but IMO I’d only go that route for warm up before races.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Tabata, Sufferfest

Really? Do you have rollers with resistance? In the hardest gear with my max cadence, i can’t get much into Z4 (out of 7 zones!) so resorted to one legged drills/cadence work/recovery spins on them and everything else outside (or turbo no doubt)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah I use the Elite V-Arion Parabolic Inertial ones. I can get over 600 watts with a 53 * 12, without scaring myself too much.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Interesting. I need to get a new turbo but had been toying with the idea of rollers with resistance. Decisions, decisions…

karnali
    Free Member

bikeradar has some sessions or for improving cadance 1 min on max cadence without bumpingin seat 1 min off

or if you have a cadence sensor increse cadence every min or 2 ina pyramid from 90-140 and back down (or a high as you can get if not to 140 to start with)

sefton
    Free Member

great piece of kit – I use mine mainly for anaerobic workouts (50mins 150/155bpm), good for technique and can get heatrate max without resistance (just gears)

mix things up with high cadence work
    start next to a wall and use elbow to help – after letting go you’ll be flying within a few minutes!

good for HRM workouts.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

As i only have a cross bike, do rollers work ok with cx tyres if pumpwed up hard enough? Turbo’s just seem to munch rear tyres.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I want to turn mine into these

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQOgDK_IOk[/video]

trickydisco
    Free Member

You want some flintone rollers

IHN

Do the free motion ones from Tricky’s link negate some of the ‘control’ that normal rollers force you to have/gain?

crazy-legs

As i only have a cross bike, do rollers work ok with cx tyres if pumpwed up hard enough? Turbo’s just seem to munch rear tyres.

They’ll work but they’ll be VERY noisy and uncomfy. And probably quite scary.

If you really want to improve pedal stroke, cadence etc, ride rollers on a fixed gear.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Do the free motion ones from Tricky’s link negate some of the ‘control’ that normal rollers force you to have/gain?

They feel more natural and you can sprint out of the saddle without fear of coming off them. You still have to learn to control the bike but it feels more like riding on road

IHN

Fair enough. It’s interesting to see how much they move, I can’t quite get my head around the forces involved…

TiRed

Anyone tried rollers on an mtb with nobblies?

My son jumped on my Kreitlers, never having tried before, and was fine in no time. The other son struggled, even on his road bike.

Technique is everything, but unplanned dismounts are not really an event.

Personally, I prefer the road, but I like the engineering.

EDIT: and I’ve posted this tip before, but use a small front headlight, shining on a wall/garage door and focus on keeping that in a fixed area. Helps immensely.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

If you really want to improve pedal stroke, cadence etc, ride rollers on a fixed gear.

Does it make that much difference? Just curious!

Sam

Another recent convert here. Loving them over the turbo, certainly a lot more engaging and not so mind numbingly boring. Didn’t find them too hard to get used to, but found setup quite critical. You want to get the roller as close to directly under the front hub as possible. If it’s too far forward you reduce trail and make it very difficult to steer/stay upright.

Sam

Oh – and also on resistance, drum size makes a big difference. I started off on some borrowed Tacx rollers and found them on the border of being hard enough – I could wind up my biggest gear fairly easily. I subsequently bought some JetBlack aluminum rollers with a smaller drum and they are much more difficult to push around. been toying with the idea of the free motion conversion as well, but don’t think the floor of my shed is level enough…

huws
    Free Member

Does anyone have a rough idea how noisy rollers are or have recommendations for quiet ones? I’d be using it in the kitchen of a ground floor Victorian flat so vibration shouldn’t be a problem for the neighbours but I like them so I don’t want to piss them off too much with general noise.

Fixed gear road bike with conti gator skins if that makes a difference.

Sam

a lot less noisy than a wind resistance turbo. Alu drums and smooth tyres make them quieter as well.

Flashy
    Free Member

I only feel safe if it’s on the garage floor between 2 motorbikes, but just sold 1, so not sure how that’ll work now and it’s dull, even with the radio on……….

huws
    Free Member

a lot less noisy than a wind resistance turbo. Alu drums and smooth tyres make them quieter as well.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ve ever heard a wind resistance turbo. How loud (above normal) would I have to have radio 4 to be able to hear gardeners question time.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Quieter than my “old” turbo, but a long way from silent. I can easily hear my laptop play music when its in front of me when I’m training though.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Getting off in a controlled fashion when you’re completely spanked can be a bit interesting.

Sam

exactly 12dB….

trickydisco
    Free Member

What i want to know is why haven’t they developed rollers further? Why not use electro magnets to create better resistance? I much prefer rollers but need to use turbo for hard resistance stuff

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Rollers’ is closed to new replies.