• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Roller trainers!
  • sherry
    Free Member

Can anyone suggest a good roller trainer? Nothing to expensive. Cheers.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Riding on rollers, don't do it. It will kill you and ruin your house/garage/hallway.

There should be a skills test before you buy them. I'd fail 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

are they less mind numbing that a turbo trainer? Can't use those.

Ed2001
    Free Member

If anything more mind numbing, good for warming up that's about it very limited use as a training tool,which is what a turbo is( NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR RIDING OUTSIDE).

mike_p
    Free Member

First time you use them is a bit harrowing but you soon get used to it. I've a set in the loft room, I use them if the weather's shite or there's some sport on the telly.

69er
    Free Member

Great aerobic workput. Quite tricky to use first time out. Totally different to a turbo.

devs
    Free Member
    sherry
    Free Member

Well cheers for all the constructive feedback and helpful links! Can anyone who actually uses roller trainers please advise on a good purchase? Looking to do a good cardio workout when the weathers pants or when I'm a bit time restricted. Cheers.

samuri
    Free Member

Most of the people at the velodrome use these to warm up.

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP6943.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=FGL

but couldn't comment on how good they are, there's a cheaper looking set that the rest use that look a bit like this.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/minoura/action-roller-advance-ec007942

No-one uses them for anything more than warming up though and IMO you'd be better off with a turbo trainer. Unless that's actually what you mean. Roller trainers provide no real resistance.

qwerty
    Free Member

i've borrowed a set of a mate and used them a few times, max i can manage is around half an hour of effort, i use a 85" gear on a ss freewheel, and aim to stay at 25mph / 100rpm for the half hour. you need a fan!

someone makes one with slightly concave rollers to prevent fall off

qwerty
    Free Member

concave = tacx antares

£124.99

Gary_M
    Free Member

You really want a set with parabolic rollers if you feel the need to buy an rollers at all. Like these as this means you're less likely to go flying off the edge.

But to be honest rollers are noisy and not great in terms of training as they don't really offer a lot in the way of resistance.

sherry
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply's, I have a turbo trainer (although not a very good one) and this is in addition to it. Looking for something to spin for half an hour to an hour and then on to the turbo if needed. I read that you can get a good cardio workout on rollers and it improves pedal stroke, along with aiding balance and being a little more interesting than turbo's.

BlingBling
    Free Member

sherry
    Free Member

I don't need to see your Saturday night specials thanks.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Let me get this right you're going to spin for upto an hour on rollers and then use your turbo, are you mad? if you want to improve your " pedal stroke" can I suggest one legged drills, which you can do on your turbo or getting a fixie.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Alternatively, ride outside?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you can get resistance ones, but youd be looking at the wrong side of £200. Maybe goo value if your looking to buy both those and a turbo, but as others have said, rollers provide no reistance, whch is why they'r good for warming up at the track, the last thing you need is muscles full of lactic acid before a sprint!

mike_p
    Free Member

I've got those Elite ones in the piccy above and like them. Resistance-wise they're comparable with riding on the flat (I use them with an MTB with slicks on), but it's not variable. I was told to get a set with the biggest drums I could find, apparently it makes them roll better (which makes sense), and the Elites have the biggest. The "parabolic" stuff is just marketing BS IMHO, they're flat except at the edges and if you're riding out there you'll fall off regardless!

It's hot work without a fan blowing some wind in yer face, and boring without a telly or hi-fi

Rich
    Free Member

I made my own using these:

Only cost about £4.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Roller trainers!’ is closed to new replies.