Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roller Garage Door
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Anyone had a (single) roller garage door fitted recently? I’m replacing an up and over one, as I want to maximise space in the garage (and old one needs replacing). Costs (fitted) and brand recommendations please!

allthepies
    Free Member

I went for a sectional door rather than a roller but wasn’t that fussed about the head space loss. However, I chose Hormann and they also make roller doors. Based upon the quality of the sectionals I’d take a look at what they have to offer.

angeldust
    Free Member

Cheers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hormann sectional. £1700 fitted. That’s with motor and the thick insulated door with higher tracks so I can maximise wall space.

Daffy

Don’t buy a cheap one. Mine was £800 and it’s pants, but I didn’t have the money to spend more at the time of purchase. Hormann is a good shout, but If I were buying again, I’d get a side sectional.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whats crap about it ?

For me the crunch is – do you want it motorised and remote – ergo there are huge holes in the cheapos- and also in the expensive ones.

I went with a cheap manual roller door with extra mechanical locking devices.

Doesnt take much to over power many of the door motors out there .

Glidarol i went for in the end .- im more than happy with it thus far.. Was about 450 or so delivered to aberdeen

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I went for a seceuroglide roller – seems pretty good.

Previous thread : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/roller-garage-doors

Daffy

It’s very thin, each slat is around 7mm thick and 55mm deep, under high wind (80mph+) the door can move by as much as 150mm in the centre.

It’s an electric, remote operated door with double locks on the motor and door. I also had to buy around £100 worth of additional brush seals for the exterior and interior of the door to make it more air tight. Given the exposure of our door and the wind we see (which was explained to the chap), a thicker door might have been better.

angeldust
    Free Member

Sectional certainly look more secure, but would mean I would have to move the lighting, which I would like to avoid.

allthepies
    Free Member

Worth considering though. The sectional panels on my door are very thick and well insulated. Get some installers round who fits both types for a quote/chat.

Daffy

Would a Side Sectional work? If I were to install it, I’d only lose 4″ down the back of the cabinets.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sectional certainly look more secure, but would mean I would have to move the lighting, which I would like to avoid.

My sectional door easily clears my lights…? How low is the ceiling?

I bought the cheapest model Hormann door (anything other than plain white timber effect wide stripe was way more expensive) for £500, the motor was £300 (more secure apparnetly) and fitted it myself in a day, including removing the old door. It was easy.

The design means it can’t be forced upwards from underneath. The only way in is either smashing the whole thing in or drilling a hole and using a long pole to press the button. I must fit a baffle to prevent this…

robw1
    Free Member

I got a roller door fitted by essati (http://www.essatigaragedoors.co.uk/). think it cost me £780 fitted inc VAT with 2 key fobs. I only open it about 3 times a week and so far its been great. Its not the most heavy duty thing, but its fine for what we needed it for.

angeldust
    Free Member

My sectional door easily clears my lights…? How low is the ceiling?

Interesting. I imagined a frame aligned along the ceiling would either be high enough to interfere with my lights (typical 1 story height, 8 foot ish?) (bedroom above integral garage style detached house) or be low enough to interfere with bike storage space on the side wall from the entrance. Thinking about it further….possibly not.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roller Garage Door’ is closed to new replies.