Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Roll call, London to Brighton off road, next sat. Any of you doing it?
  • Zoolander
    Free Member

As above really . Anyone I should look out for? And for those that have done it before…. Any tips?
    Ps. Nobby nic/racing Ralph or semi slicks?

spacemonkey

What’s the route?

psychle
    Free Member

Is that the BHF thingo? I’ve ridden a similar route a couple of times, it’s a long ride but naught technical or rough about it, though the climb over the Downs is hard work at the end! Would go with semi-slicks myself, something with puncture protection would be a bonus. The 50 miles along the Downs link is 2-3hrs of tediousness along flat metalled old railway tracks, anything to make that bit go quicker would be a boon (you could easily average 25km/hr + along this bit…) Have fun, it’s a nice ride through the countryside, hope you get decent weather! 🙂

DrP

As above – nil technical – a cross bike would be ideal.
    That said, it was a really enjoyable day with a like minded crowd!
    Try to stay on the bike the WHOLE WAY – there’s a nice foot bridge out of london that CAN be cycled up and over!

DrP

tony24
    Free Member

Its a good ride mate nothing really challenging about it. 1 tough climb at the end but its fairly short. I made a big mistake of not eating enough through the ride so make sure you take enough food put some snakesize bits in ypur rear jersey pocket and just keep eating little and often. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

pickle
    Free Member

I did it on a BMX last weekend 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

pickle – offroad? Really? That’s a top effort.

pickle
    Free Member

afraid not, i did the road route so nowhere near as tough but it was hard at times on the hills with no gears.

Good luck to all you guys doing it off road, I found the road ride hard going at about half way but after a quick lunch break it was all go! great feeling coming into brighton seafront 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to it!

Anyone know of a gpx anywhere?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’ll be there again. As others have said not technically challenging, but a nice ride all the same.

Highlight is the Mini Death Bowl – hilarious fun. Does anyone know the exact location of this so I can add a waypoint to my Garmin? Don’t want to miss it – was loads of giggles on it last year

Zoolander
    Free Member

Good shout on the gpx. I’d also be grateful if someone has one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Anyone else not registered and just turning up on the day?

seanoevil
    Free Member

I’m on this too. Yea, where is the mini death bowl – missed it last year, wanna go this time round!

Just hoping the weather holds out for Saturday…

singletracksurfer

it’s on the left hand bend (on the right hand side) just at the top before you drop down into Shere (Checkpoint 2). Grid ref: TQ 071/494
    There should be a marshal stood around that point.

e-mail http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/mtbike/2010/09/london-to-south-coast-off-road-bike-ride-2011/ for a gpx file.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Rode the published route during the summer and people are right. Semi slicks would be fine and a CX bike would be perfect. I enjoyed the day even though it isn’t technical and there is a toughie hill at the end. Eat drink and enjoy the company, I did it solo and didn’t eat drink enough. It’s a long ole ride!

singletracksurfer

couple of big (rooty) climbs in the middle too.
    nothing very technical buy be careful on the roots if it is wet, especially with ss tyres.

I’ve done it on the cx with sb8 tyres. fast n fun.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Sounds like I’ll hedge my bets and stick a Ralph on the front as well as the rear. Good advice on eating and drinking plenty – I often forget about this. Have an awesome collection of zip vit bars, gels and gums so should be good. I may take a Cornish performance pasty though as well!

Zoolander
    Free Member

By the way , I appreciate most of you doing the ride will be raising money for the British Heart Foundation anyhow but for those of you not going, do feel free to make a donation via my justgiving page here:
    http://original.justgiving.com/danpower
    It’s a good cause 🙂

cardo

yep doing it again this year, there should be about 16 of us this time too…. keep an eye out for MTB Berkhamsted on our shirts…

Same advice as above really flat, with towpaths along the Thames, some bridleways and woods and a few minor roads until the North downs which becomes more interesting and hilly… Long flat out railway track until the South Downs then a beast of a climb,… eat drink and enjoy it.

Then on the beer in Brighton (all for a good cause, of course) 😀

Zoolander
    Free Member

Good call on the beer in Brighton – is there a particular pub to head to?
    Have booked a table for me and mrs zoolander at a sushi restaurant for that night …. Could be expensive as I’m going to be damn hungry !

singletracksurfer

the Brunswick pub is near the finish as is mentioned as the place to meet (start at least anyway) here (near the bottom): http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/mtbike/2010/09/london-to-south-coast-off-road-bike-ride-2011/#comment-236

tony24
    Free Member

Are you allowed to just turn up and register there ?

singletracksurfer

think so, but it’s better to do it before as in my experience you end up taking ages queuing and filling out forms when you just want to get off and start riding.

GDRS

Not doing it this year – but the ‘rooty climb’ up to mini death bowl is a sinch now that the chalky rutted section at the top has been filled in with stone and gravel. Was there the other week on my Singlespeed Cross.

tony24
    Free Member

So who is doing it on a cross bike? Are they allowed ? I dont remember seeing a single 1 last year but i fancy having a go at it on 1.

singletracksurfer

any bike is allowed. there was a couple of cx’s last year.

RichJJ
    Free Member

Does eveyone taking part in these BHF rides raise sponsorship or do some just pay the entry fee ?

Sidney
    Free Member

I’ve organised a works ride for this Sat starting a little ahead of the crowd at Weybridge, just so happened best weekend for us was same as BHF one.

Look out for a mixed group of English and Germans making slow progress to the sea.

singletracksurfer

mix, but most get some kind of sponsorship.
    gets harder to raise money the more you ride your bike though.

Zoolander
    Free Member

The nice people at the BHF have sent me a gpx file of the route. Email me at Daniel-power@hotmaildotcodotuk if you need it:)

Have a furious Fred on order for the rear wheel as it’s looking dry for the weekend. Am generally feeling rather nervous about the distance now :/

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with the distance. It’s not a difficult ride and there’s plenty of recovery time on the long flat bits

I’m all set, except I can’t find my Road ID 🙁

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cheers. Was a good ride. As you say it was nice to make up some time on the downs link. Finished in about 7 1/2 hours in the end. Good fun. My arse is broken though 🙁

drofluf
    Free Member

What a great day out. Plenty of encouragement on the route.

Finished in 7:10 on single speed, could have done with a longer gear than 32:18 on the Link

Wally

I am signed up for this year and it sounds like I am going to be over biked with Full Suss and Hutchinson Toro’s. Never mind.

singletracksurfer

Some poor/brave/foolish girl had borrowed her brothers downhill bike last year (with downhill tyres still on). She still managed to finish though. Semi slicks should be okay if it’s very dry.

tobymc

I’ve put my name down. Not done it before, hadnt considered doing it cx though, hmmmmm….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Roll call, London to Brighton off road, next sat. Any of you doing it?’ is closed to new replies.