Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rolling Resistance – Measurable?
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Tyre manufacturers have a rating of weight, compound and size but only a description of how they measure up on rolling resistance/performance. Is there a benchmark rating or a physical equation that can be applied to a tyre compound to achieve this.

blah blah blah

Which has less…..2.25 Racing Ralph or a Conti 2.25 Rubber Queen Black Chilli??

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Gotta love the Germans for the appliance of science!

mtbr thread

uplink
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

You would think it could be calculated with a complex equation for smooth hard surfaces.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks for the reading mate, I was thinking in purely 2 dimensional Compound only thinking!!!! Width/Pressure/Surface has just opened a much bigger can of worms 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You would think it could be calculated with a complex equation for smooth hard surfaces.

You could do it with FEA, but as my uni tutor pointed out, at some point the problem becomes so complex and the product so simple and mass produced that it’s cheeper to do real world testing.

mrmo
    Free Member

take a tyre, take a power meter and i am sure you could come up with something.

stuey
    Free Member

My mate rolls 7 yards further – with his new tyres 😕

chiefgrooveguru

You could take a sample of the compound and measure temperature increase under repeated compression/flexure (where the force is fixed but not the work) – the greater the amount of heat generated, the higher the rolling resistance. However it’s easier (and more useful) to measure your time taken to roll down the same slope over and over again with different tyres because pattern/pressure matters even more.

enfht
    Free Member

Cartridge bearing hubs generally have a greater resistance than (properly maintained) cup & cone hubs

Easy to forget, especially for the Hope aficionados

crikey
    Free Member

Lol, like it matters for chubby IT managers pushing their steeds up gentle inclines…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rolling Resistance – Measurable?’ is closed to new replies.