Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • rohloff – replacement cabling…
  • woffle
    Free Member

Just about to order some new cables (inner and outer) for my rohloff. I could get the standard replacements from SJS but wondered if anyone would recommend trying anything else? Shifting has always been the weakest part of using Rohloffs in my experience so don't mind paying a bit more if there's a notable improvement to be had.

I know some people swear by Shimano SP41 and Shimano inners and I can't really afford Nokons but don't know whether Gore / Goodridge are worth the extra? (Or even if the sealed Gores are compatible?)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I aleay get 10m of SP41 from Ultimate Persuits. It's good value. 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

Shimano brake outer and xtr inner gear wires

avdave2

Talk to SJS and get their recommendation as I don't think they use the standard set on their own builds. My Thorn Catalyst is over 3 years old now and must have done 10,000 miles on it's original cables with no maintenance at all.

woffle
    Free Member

Cheers – I think they use XT cables but will check with them afternoon. I think they're all much of a muchness to be honest but we'll see what they recommend too. Just wasn't sure whether anyone would sing the praises of Goodridge et al over the Rohloff / Shimano options. Doesn't look like it's worth spending any extra so I'll probably go with what SJS / Thorn's workshop say.

(Mine snapped this morning at the external mech but I can't really complain – they've done 6000+ miles without a hitch, should have been replaced last winter but I never got round to it – serves me right)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The original cable outers are rubbish, I found the teflon liner partially detached and looped inside the twist grip. They tell you not to lube them but after 6 months they were stiff as anything and rusted to hell 🙁 They appear to be brake outer (ie tight spiral wound) so that's what I replaced them with

woffle
    Free Member

I've just removed the old cables and they're in remarkably good condition with the exception of the bottom end 20mm that looks a little rusty & cruddy (unsurprisingly given it's not sealed and it's seen some pretty horrendous weather). That aside you wouldn't know that the cable's had seen daily use without oil or lube – no other signs of corrosion or fatigue.

Right – off to SJS I go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘rohloff – replacement cabling…’ is closed to new replies.