Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rohloff on a road bike?
  • ontor
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few all-road type things with rohloff hubs lately. Im in the market for a new cross bike for riding on the roads and plethora of green lanes in Devon and being familiar with Alfie hubs I’m wondering how draggy the rohloff is? Could I get away with one on the odd road ride with mates for example?

Joe

davidjey
    Free Member

Depends how fast your roadie mates are compared to you!

Had a Rohloff on a MTB for several years – great for that purpose but I’m not sure I’d want to heft one around on a road bike. Also I don’t know what solutions are available for using a shifter with drop bars….

Sam

Great for touring, sporty road riding I’m not so sure.

Saw a set up at the London Show of SRAM double tap shifters running Rohloff shifting. Really nice set up, it requires a specific click box, can’t recall the name.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gebla rohbox sam.

ive also seen pull pull set ups done with twin bar end shifters set to friction.

but plus 1 for pish on a sporty bike (spoken as a rohloff owner and user)

Everyone says they have less drag than XYZ but there is more drag in any rohloff ive ridden than any derailleur set up – surely they are not all broken

If i was heading on a round the world tour or a manky winter epic mtb ride id have no issue recomending it …but for summer mtb its pish and as a commuter hub i didnt like it either… its back on my winter bike

kimi
    Free Member

Have a look at the new Shand Stooshie, pretty much exactly what you’re describing. I plumped for a non rohloff stoater in the end but the Stooshie looks the biz.

Bez

Got one on the tandem (where the benefits of a conventional drivetrain and the ability to shift when stationary are very significant). It always *feels* draggy—although to be fair it doesn’t have huge mileage on the clock. Whether it *is* draggy is perhaps another matter.

But the noise alone would put me off sticking it on a road bike, and for that application I can’t really see any benefits if I’m honest.

Will you get away with it for the use you’re suggesting? Sure. As long as your riding buddies don’t get sick of the noise and push you into a ditch 😉

ontor
    Free Member

Have a look at the new Shand Stooshie, pretty much exactly what you’re describing.

Indeed!

seems pretty clear-cut though – thanks all.

shandcycles
    Free Member

But the noise alone would put me off sticking it on a road bike, and for that application I can’t really see any benefits if I’m honest.

Really? In certain gears it can be a bit ‘whirry’ but a well worn in hub shouldn’t be making any more noise than you’d get out of a derailleur system. In fact I’d suggest it would be quieter. Unless chainline is a bit funky .

Bez

Mine’s definitely quite noisy in certain gears; mostly the lower 7. Haven’t ridden another one for comparison, though.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah, mine is a tad noisy.

Rachel

bencooper
    Free Member

Saw a set up at the London Show of SRAM double tap shifters running Rohloff shifting. Really nice set up, it requires a specific click box, can’t recall the name.

Sure it wasn’t the Cinq5 shifters?

They’re pretty cool, I use them quite a bit on various builds.

avdave2

I’ve had one for 9 years and for off road winter riding with no maintenance or cleaning it’s brilliant. I wouldn’t use it on a road bike I wanted to be quick though. Great for a utility bike in theory but it’s one expensive wheel to be locking up and leaving. And the gebla rohbox looks a really good option if you ever wanted to run one with drop bars, far better than all the other options.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive ridden a number of them …. im fairly certain mines (an 06 used extensively and oil changed reasonably regular to reflect miles) is not broken – but well broken in and fairly typical of yer average rohloff….

its noisy and draggy – my alfine less so and my XTR drive train less so.

also in a full built bike there is nearly 2lbs of difference when the only thing changed is the rohloff hardwear removed and an XTR shaddow rear mech , front mech shifters and Steel chain rings , XT chain and cassette fitted – not quite the 200grams(average) quoted on rohloffs site.

avdave2

Here is an actual measurement of drag in bicycle drive chains including the Rohloff. A better guide than perceived drag which may be influenced by many factors.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good link that avdave.

independants saying what my legs have said for years….

a rohloff is as efficient at its best as 22:32 on a 27speed set up at its most efficient ….. 91.5% efficient at its bottom end its 88.5% efficient where as a 27 speed system is between 91.5% and nearly 94%

now they dont seem like big numbers you might think but when racing its enough to be noticed over a distance and wear you down.

avdave2

Yes small figures but as you say you wouldn’t want to race on it. I’d be interested to know if plastering both systems in mud would have an effect.

slparsons
    Free Member

In my experience, I wouldn’t recommend it.

I have one on my Thorn Raven Commuter/Utility bike but as long as its dry I’d generally ride something else, for commuting usually my Genesis Fortitude with an eight speed Alfine hub.
    The Rholoff hub itself is well worn in, having been in 3 different frames. I find it is noisy and draggy in some gears. They are also expensive as an initial outlay, but you would probably recoup this in the long run. Mine has had regular oil changes and a new sprocket and is on its second rim.

The major advantages for me are minimal maintenance and the ability to change gear whilst stationary, the ability to change through multiple gears with a simple twist of the shifter and the shear rugged dependability of the hub unit itself.

There is lots of information on the hub on the SJSC site.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff on a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.