Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rohloff on a Full sus
  • spev

Right I’ve got a Thorn Raven and a Rohloff, I’m thinking of getting rid of my DH bike and the hardtail and swapping to a 5inch or so FS bike, i’m not really doing the DH bike justice.
    What, if any, FS bikes are people using or can recommend(apart from Nicolai) ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

snaps was using a Rohloff on a FS (Marin or Whyte) last time I saw him.

snaps
    Free Member

As Dibbs says I’ve had it on both a Whyte 46 & now a quad Marin, done nearly 6000 miles & not missed a beat

spev

do you use it for any DH or freeride-y (i hate that word) type stuff? I’ve ridden the Patriot 7 down a couple of DH courses and I feel over biked frankly

snaps
    Free Member

Not specifically DH but I’ll chuck it down most stuff.

woodsman
    Free Member

Someone on here has a 5spot with a Rohloff, I have some pics if it’s a consideration for you. Are you planning on using the hub from the Raven (Enduro?) – I have one too, or obtaining another for the fs?

Denis99
    Free Member

I put the ‘hoff on a previous bike, Turner Flux, see below.

Didn’t feel right to me, I then rode a Nicolai CC with the ‘hoff – it was simply much better, why exclude the Nicolai?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Hmmm, unsprung rotating mass. I guess all those chaps spending shedloads designing hub gears into the middle of their full-suspension, where they become less cumbersome sprung mass, are wasting their R&D budgets.

Still, if we all liked the same things it’d be a boring world.

spev

Im going to use the same hub on the new frame.
    Im not excluding the Nicolia , its just i’ve had a go on a Helius and loved it , just looking to see if anybody is using somethinh they’d prefer.
    ta though

Olly
    Free Member

if your going to do that, i would go for a SS compatible frame, purely because a tensioner looks toss 😀

that new commencal (180mm is a bit much perhaps)
    or a “solid flair”

not really XC frames, but would make me smile asthetically :s

1LegRikk
    Free Member

Have one on my Pace RC405, it’s loooovly 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

140mm the absoloute SXs,

could be rather fun with a long seatpost….

RepacK
    Free Member

I had one on a Blur LT & it killed the handling & turned the bike into a bit of a pig TBH. When I took it off & put XT on the bike became brilliant – Id make up a mud bike or similar (prob a HT?)

Olly
    Free Member

why not keep the rholoff on the raven and just downrate the DH bike to a 5″.
    and have two :s

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kona A with a Rohloff. The dropout had to be specially machined. There’s a disc braked Kona A on ebay now for a very reasonable £320 ‘buy it now’

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250440558509

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

flamejob
    Free Member

what sootyandjim said..

Mine is staying well away from my FS bikes; naughty heavy lump of metal!

Denis99
    Free Member

Something better than a Nicolai Helius CC ? surely you jest……

Always follow what your heart tells you.

I didn’t like it on the Turner Flux one bit, sold the Flux and bought the CC.

Good on any hardtail though.

I’ve got a Rohloff on a Chameleon and a Blur.
    I don’t notice any difference caused by the rearward centre of gravity or unsprung rotating mass.
    The extra ground clearance of the 34×13 comes in handy at times though.

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve got an Endorfin VP4-R SL, which has 100mm of travel and is very handy indeed.

Having said that, I ride my Ti456 a lot more now, and the Endorfin’s feeling a bit unloved, so I might stick it up for sale.

RabbitStu
    Free Member

I have used a rohloff on my fsr 120 since 2006. I don’t like the rohloff tensioner though, I use a single jockey wheel tensioner that pulls the chain down and single speed front ring….no chain guides or devices, chain doesn’t come off very often, can’t remember when it did last actually.

i use a speed bone too for the anti-rotation method.

Stu

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff on a Full sus’ is closed to new replies.