Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rohan clothing ,anyone use it ?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

I`m doing a lightweight LEJOG camping trip and am going to use just a small Carradice saddlebag and a barbag and want the lightest smallest packing change of clothes out there .So does anyone use and rate the Rohan range ?

vanilla83
    Free Member

Yes. Big fan. Try it on first as I find the sizing a bit odd and varies from model to model. Also find the shop people very knowledgable and know exactly what to suggest.

richmars

Yes, I’ve got a few bits. I used to do a few trekking hols, so small, light, quick dry kit was good, which is what most of the technical Rohan stuff is. Not sure if there’s anything else around now.
    I’ve got a Rohan jacket, that didn’t save my life, but saved a holiday when all my other kit was lost on the way to the Himalayas over Christmas. Kept me warm 24 hours a day for a week until the rest of my kit turned up.
    It’s not cheap, but it lasts and I think it works.

tang
    Free Member

Have a pair of trousers that are 12 years old, only starting to wear out now!

househusband

Also consider Paramo trousers and shirts for durable and quick to dry.

mattsccm
    Free Member

My Bags were an 18th birthday present and are still going strong if a touch faded now that I am 50. Generally well made and much easier to find nowdays.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The hot weather stuff yes, hard to find another store in the UK in which to buy clothing for the tropics. Mate of mine swears by it but he lives in Asia 9 months of the year.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I’ve got my Rohan jeans, polo shirt and jumper on at this very moment. I find it lightweight, very comfortable and lasts. As others have said bags seem to last forever. Not cheap but does what it says on the label. Order on line and collect from a Rohan shop, no P and P to pay and if fit is wrong you leave them at the shop.

Clink

Not cheap but does what it says on the label.

That. Other brands do similar stuff for less money. Even in the sale their stuff is over-priced IMO.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought you had to prove that you were over the age of 65 and walk every where with a map in a clear wallet (just in case) and in leather walking boots with gaiters on, before they will let you buy ANYTHING in a Rohan shop !??!

🙂

Edit: Sorry I forgot walking poles too

DezB
    Free Member

Waterproof boots bought in TK Maxx for £30. Lasted absolutely ages, still waterproof too.

psling
    Free Member

Quality kit IME and, like others have said, lasts for ages.

The beauty about the Bags is that you can put a fiver in a pocket and then six years later find that pocket again and, hey ho, you’ve found a fiver 8)

myheadsashed

Disappointed to find my Gobi bags fell apart after 20yrs and they no longer make them 🙁

Northwind

Got a couple of pairs of the shoes, they’re ace, no idea what the RRP is though.

angeldust
    Free Member

Decent enough kit,but generally over priced even if they have a sale on (no direct competition as you can only buy from Rohan shops). If you care about such things, image is rather subtle/non-bling, which may be a bonus, but it also shouts middle aged rambler. Generally you can get identical performance from other brands at a cheaper price if you have a look around. I use their underwear for trekking as its superior to anything else I’ve tried. IME most of the rest of their kit offers no advantage over other brands at a higher price.

kcal

shoes are funny fit.

other than that, would say I’m aran, rarely had issues with any of their gear.

My clothing cupboard and porch rack are testament to their longevity – bags eventually wear out, but have the padded Olfio, all weather Fulmar jacket, smock type top (excellent by the way, versatile), wicking zipped base leayer (Dunovo?), lightweight polycotton hooded jacket (Pampas), multiplex walking breeches — must all be 20 years old and still functional (if getting a bit frayed).

Certainly not fall apart in 3 years gear..

Dunc, had the stuff when I was 22 — not alone in that I think 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Since Paul Howcroft died rohan has never quite worked out whether its supposed to be selling to ambition 2nd Gap Yah late 30-somethings, or 65 year old new outdoorsy retirees. It used to be modern clothing, now its just the same as everything else and other manufacturers have taken up the innovative use of materials.
    I find the fit of all of it poor now, I’ve still got some blue label tops, Olfio, Moving On, Bags, Warm Bags, haven’t bought anything there for years as the cut doesn’t fit me any more.

failedengineer

I’ve been using their stuff for years and some of it is 15 years old, at least. The quality is much better than most other stuff IMHO. That said, they are expensive when compared like for like.

MoreCashThanDash

Can we have some brand/model recommendations then from those saying they are better value please?

Not got any Rohan kit, or desire to buy any, but just interested to know what alternatives I should be looking out for.

simon_g

My dad has a few bits of Rohan clothing he’s had for years and really likes. Their standout stuff is more the trousers, shirts and the like that can be screwed up in a bag, pulled out and still look fine for a posh restaurant 😀

If it’s just for lightweight, easy-packing kit then Craghoppers and Kathmandu are better vfm, especially as they have near-permanent sales on.

eg. you can pay £88 for a 200g pair of trousers from Rohan, or £21 for some 332g ones from Craghoppers. Depends what that weight saving is worth to you I guess.

cozz
    Free Member

rohan stuff was great, some still is

not as good as the olfio (why they stopped making it I don’t know) Ive got 3 of them now in various states of tattiness

winter bags, are worth every penny, never found a substitute, I do get through them tho, buy a new pair every 2 years, and demote the old ones

grim168
    Free Member

I like it but only buy when on sale. Had stuff for years and it wears well.

angeldust
    Free Member

Can we have some brand/model recommendations then from those saying they are better value please?

Totally depends on what you are looking for. For example, if you were looking for a waterproof or an insulated jacket, you will find something at least as good from TNF/Rab/ME/Haglofs/Montane in a sale somewhere (at any time of year) for less money. All the above brands have various lightweight kit in their range that would be as good as Rohan.

shoes are funny fit

Lots of their footwear is rebranded Brasher, which I find very narrow. You will also often find the identical Brasher product much cheaper (on sale) elsewhere.

cozz
    Free Member

rohan just emailed with a sale starting on the 27th

Hobster
    Free Member

Suits you Sir and reported.

RichT

I would agree with most of the comments. It is great stuff, but expensive and the sizing can be a bit odd. I find things come up big.
    The only thing to add is that the customer service is great. I got a pair of boots from TKMaxx and one of the lace hooks came out. I took it into a Rohan shop to ask about a repair and they apologise dprofusely and gave me a new pair of more expensive boots on the spot.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rohan clothing ,anyone use it ?’ is closed to new replies.