Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rode a singlespeed for the first time since being a kid…
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

…and I now remember why I looked forward to having a geared bike all those years ago 😆

Seriously though, I did enjoy the way it made my local easy trails harder since this was my main reasoning for buying one (that and the low maintenance). As soon as I hit muddy uphills though it just failed miserably. I couldn’t stay in the saddle because I couldn’t turn the pedals, but getting out of the saddle resulted in lost traction. Should I have waited for a dryer and less muddy first time out?

cp

Stick with it. Don’t lean too far forward when out of the saddle – a good skill to have anyway.

will
    Free Member

It’s certainly a different way of riding. With time you’ll get used to it.

For winter months and wet trails they are ideal!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I also found it very difficult to manual compared to previous bikes, but don’t blame the SS for that. I need to do some more tweaking with set-up and cockpit. The last thing I want/need is a rigid forked bike that I can’t hoik the front wheel up and over stuff.

Looking forward to the next ride out tho’. This was also my first ride out since breaking my collarbone, so it was a real baptism of fire

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t lean too far forward when out of the saddle

Was thinking of getting a shorter stem and shifting the saddle back a touch, so should help with your suggestion

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

get used to getting off!

it’s much more of a test of your stamina on steeper stuff, because you have no option but to maintain a certain speed, and in that state it doesn’t take a whole lot to bring you to a halt

it’s pretty much pointless, i don’t really understand why i do it to be honest.

bland

MY HT is going SS in the hope it will motivate me to go and ride some local trails when i cant be bothered cleaning the FS afterwards. That and i cant afford a full new groupset for it.

Just got to find the motivation to convert it now! Anyone know anywhere i can find some motivation? Two toddlers seem to have sucked all mine out of me!

monkeyp

I recently made the singlespeed conversion due to impending weather conditions for SITS – it was to be my back-up bike which actually never got used.

However, since then I have grown to accept it as a different riding experience. This time of the year, it is the bike I reach for if I am riding solo and I find that whilst it is slower in places, it forces me to be quicker up hill and conserve momentum downhill. In fact, the difference in average speed is small in comparison with my geared full sus.

Riding it takes a different approach – start standing up before you ‘need’ to on climbs. Stand up, but don’t necessarily ‘sprint’. Pick your line rather than go direct and be smooth. Enjoy the silent drivetrain and the fact it is impervious to mud.

StirlingCrispin

[oops – wrong thread]

dknwhy

Me too! Just changed my mtb to singlespeed as the gears needed an overhaul and I thought i’d do this and then change to hub gears next year.

First ride went ok. Thought hills were really tough and then realised the front brake was sticking after I changed the pads. Hopefully, it’ll improve my leg power plus it means there’s less to ruin over winter. Wales in January could be a test but I guess the worse thing will be a bit of uphill pushing.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I went singlespeed for the winter four years ago and when the summer came gears just felt wrong so I stuck with it and now own three singlespeeds, four if you count the commuter. Strangely, gears still feel completely instinctive on my road bike.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I built a single speed 8 months ago & absolutely love it . Hills ? with practice you’ll get up anything a geared bike’ll do in middle ring . If it comes to granny climbs , it’s no slower to get off & push !

I took part in the Brass Monkeys series yesterday , along with quite a few other single speeders & did as well as I used to on a carbon ht.

Of coarse it’s horses for courses , no serious hills around our way & oh yeah , it’s just got to be a 29er !

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it’s just got to be a 29er

Not only is it a single speed 29er, but it’s also steel with rigid forks. I feel overloaded with niche* 😆

*granted 29er is anything but niche these days

stanleigh
    Free Member

Ah , Stiltortoise , can’t speak for steel forks , but I started with ali ones , they nearly rattled all my fillings out , unbearable !

Got carbon ones now , not too expensive from on one , much ,much better.

Saying that , I know at least 4 Singular riders , who have steel rigid forks & have never heard them grumbling !?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m pretty used to riding rigid to be honest, and filling-rattling was not a problem at all.

mattjg
    Free Member

Not only is it a single speed 29er, but it’s also steel with rigid forks.

So do I, it’s a niche that’s growing fast it seems

Should I have waited for a dryer and less muddy first time out?

Provided you’re enjoying yourself, no, keep going.

I did the race yesterday too and I noticed, on the pushes where everyone was pushing, I made places! I think this is a training effect from riding that gear!

stanleigh
    Free Member

stanleigh
    Free Member

I did the race yesterday too and I noticed, on the pushes where everyone was pushing, I made places! I think this is a training effect from riding that gear!

Hell Yeah , got a bit cyclocross on the ups !

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Have you grown a beard yet???

Rochey
    Free Member

I have a SS Road bike, 46/19, rode it yesterday for roughly 50 miles, love it

ssboggy

Saying that , I know at least 4 Singular riders , who have steel rigid forks & have never heard them grumbling !?

Singular steel rigid forks are ace!

sheephills
    Free Member

I rode singlespeed all year until the snow & mud came.
    Then i could not get up any of the steeper hills.
    I can’t wait till i can go out ss again, so quit and rewarding clearing climbs, and good workout for the back and core muscles.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rode a singlespeed for the first time since being a kid…’ is closed to new replies.