Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rocky mountain slayer sxc50 carbon issue
  • stavros
    Free Member

Hi Folks

I have a rocky mountain slayer sxc50 with the carbon seat stays, i ran a 2.5 kenda at a low pressure in France for 10 days and it has worn a groove in the carbon on one side of the seat stay

RM are quoting £200 approx for a new carbon seat stay. id be much happier replacing with an aluminium one but RM dont do one for it.

Anyone had one made or know where i can get one? Has anyone had the same issue? Any advice appreciated

Cheers, Stav

bullandbladder
    Free Member

wtf? are you mad?

stavros
    Free Member

wtf? are you mad?

sorry, whys that then?

br
    Free Member

If you wore out the carbon one, you'd wear out an alloy one!

stavros
    Free Member

Just to clarify folks. i have a run a 2.5 tyre on the rear for the last 3 years in france, the profile of this Kenda tyre happened to be slightly wider and combined with lowish pressure and my weight on the bike over 10 days there was a slight rub on 1 side, this was not noticable at the time

I intend not to run the same tyre again, but fancied an aluminium rear end as i never trust scrapes etc on the carbon

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

There are places that can just repair the one you have. Costs around 40 quid.

stavros
    Free Member

would the strength be compromised with a repair?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Wouldn't worry about the use of carbon for the stays – the guides at Switchbacks have somehow managed to break a number of sxc frames, but always through the metal.

Mine is scratched to buggery all over the carbon and has a few flat spots but never even a creaky noise.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

You should of got an early Slayer 😉

I would probably be tempted to do what spokecycles mentions.
    Worth a go no?

khani
    Free Member

I used these on my scale, recommended by Scott as the best around
    HQ Fibre Products 5 Norwich Road Lingwood Norwich NR13 4BH (Road Map) Norfolk Tel: 01603 713972. Fax: 01603 713972 …

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rocky mountain slayer sxc50 carbon issue’ is closed to new replies.