Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rocky mountain blizzard owners sizing?
  • wicked
    Free Member

I am after a nice steel hardtail frame. I usually ride a 16/17" frame with a 22.5" effective top tube. Wiggle are selling blizzards at a very good price and being a very nice frame I was interested until I see the top tube length on the geometry chart (an inch shorter than a lot of frames of equivalent size).
    Blizzard owners do use a size larger than normal or do they ride well at that geometry?

shmoo
    Free Member

Hi, Ive got a 1995 Rocky Mountain Equipe (model below the blizzard at the time) and I ride a 18.5", Im 5' 8". There is about 3" seat tube above top tube, not sure if they've changed the sizing though.

I also ride a 16" on one and 18" singlespeed if that helps.

wicked
    Free Member

Thanks shmoo, typically wiggle are sold out of 18" so sizing up will not be an option! Grrr

travellingman
    Free Member

Hi there,
    I've also looked at these frames as they're such a good deal. How tall are you and what's your inside leg?

If you're used to 16/17" frames you sound a similar size to me and I think you'd find the 16.5" frame would suit you well. If you look at their website the standover for the 16.5" is 753mm.

I'm pretty sure they changed the frame sizes from 2008 to 2009. If it was a 2008 then the 18" would be the right size. I don't think the 2009 frame was built in Canada though.

Cheers.

corroded
    Free Member

I didn't know they had changed the frame sizing recently. I've got an older Blizzard that I think is a 19" (can't remember exactly). I'm 6'1" with lanky arms and legs. Yes, the top tube is on the short side and I do have to fold myself up a bit on very steep climbs. Normally this would put me off but in fact it's perfect for the riding I like: tight, twisty, technical singletrack. The handling is unbelievably good, seated or standing, especially weaving through trees at speed! If you're slogging over windswept moors, perhaps there are better hardtails.

alfabus
    Free Member

I've got a 2006 blizzard – 18.5" frame. I'm 5'11".. it is a nice size for me, small enough to be chuckable, but large enough to be good on all day rides.

Picture of it from ages ago (before I did the garden!):

Dave

petefromearth

agree with corroded

i'm about his height and also have a 19" 2005 blizzard

it is fairly short on top compared to other 19" frames. at first i didn't like it but it does make the bike a lot more chuckable. it's also a bit stiffer (and heavier) than other steel frames i've had

i run it as a singlespeed now as it's perfect for a short local ride. for a while i had some kona p2's and flat pedals on it and it basically felt like a grown up BMX!

if i were you i wouldn't go for the next size up – you'd be in danger of getting a top tube in the gonads

Marmoset
    Free Member

I'm 6'3" and on 20.5/21" Rocky frames – I like teh top tube being shorter as I geet a taller bike that maakes me feel like I'm in it but the length's not too long.. My non Rocky is a 19" Cannondale and that has a pretty comparative TT length to teh RM's. I'd say go up a size more.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rocky mountain blizzard owners sizing?’ is closed to new replies.