Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rockshox wiper seal popping out
  • pondy
    Free Member

I have just serviced a 2012 Sid xx dual air, I was very methodical, every seal replaced and everything back in the same place it came from, I have 6ml of oil in lower legs and 106ml in the damper side (I ppoured out 106ml when stripping down) I put every back together and cycled the fork up and down with no air pressure, when near bottom out there was slight resistance then the damper side wiper seal pops out, I did this a hand full of times, did it with oil and xloc fitted and without any oil or xloc. Thinking there was some kind of pressure in lower leg from putting it together and compressing for fork was releasing it? It had however stopped doing this and all seems well?

The one thing I did notice is I measured oil hight in damper side before I drained it, it was 90mm from oil to top of threads. I poured out 106ml and put the exact same back in and the oil hight is not around 80ml?

Any ideas

qwerty
    Free Member

If you poured 106ml out, then I guess some would still be retained inside coating all the surfaces, maybe 4ml at a wild guess. Can you not find a RockShox service guide online specifying the oil levels required?

pondy
    Free Member

I got my oil measures from the sram manual, what came out of the fork is what the manual states (wanted to know if it had the correct amount in from new) everything inside was cleaned of old oil and correct amount put back in

survivor

Could be you just haven’t put the wiper seal back in firm enough. Had similar issue in a set of Reba’s I did for someone.

Give them a good hammering down with a suitably sized socket or something else that will fit over it.

Potdog
    Free Member

Had the same problem on a set of Pikes. Turned out to be a dodgy seal. Put another new one in and it’s been fine since.

LoCo
    Free Member

Wiper probably a bit oily on contact surface with lowers or not quite seated properly.
    Strip,clean degrease and re seat

Wally

LoCo is the expert and I found some cotton from my cloth had got onto the seals.
    Strip, clean with a non torn terry towling bathrobe and all sorted. The cotton allowed air between the seals. I used a socket set to push in seals and then bought the proper seal plastic socket for £8 on ebay. By symptom was lower leg pressure dropping. Several rides and pumps later plus one big rock and BANG.

pondy
    Free Member

I Have a bit pvc pipe I used to push the seals in, also have Pvc pipe cut down the centre in two halves so I can push seals in when lowers are fitted. Fork has been fine since I posted

timbud
    Free Member

Make sure the oil seal is not in upside down.
    I worked on a set of Lyrics in the Alps a couple of years ago with the same problem and it turned out to be that.

pondy
    Free Member

What oil seal are you referring too? There was a plastic tyre seal on the damper then 2 o rings down the bottom where the circlip goes

LoCo
    Free Member

In lyriks the foam ring is replaced with an oil seal, not relevant.

pondy
    Free Member

Sounds simular to my marzocchi forks, they have a wiper seal with another oil seal underneath

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox wiper seal popping out’ is closed to new replies.