Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rockshox warranty issue – not sure what to do?
  • wilde86
    Free Member

Was given a pair of new Tora 302’s around 10 months ago as a gift. They were on my 2nd spare bike, only used on about 4 occassions, less than 30 miles use. After finishing the last ride and leaving the bike in the cellar, I have gone down to move the bike and noticed a hairline/pinhole crack on the lowers right next to the QR drop out weld, which is leaking oil through. The forks themselves have no marks on whatsoever, they are immaculate and could seriously be passed off as brand new unridden forks!

So.. I sent them back to Rockshox and requested it to be sorted under warranty. I have since heard from them and been told with out a purchase receipt, they wont touch them. As mentioned earlier, they were a gift, so I dont have a receipt. If the forks were mangled and obviously ridden hard, then fair enough, but they arent.

Anything I can do to try get them sorted? (getting the receipt from the buyer isnt an option as they dont have it).

In the last month I have had items back to Hope and to Orange, both items were fixed under warranty no issue whatsoever with out asking me any questions! Slightly put off by the bigger companies lack of care here!

rant over! cheers 🙂

goatster
    Free Member

Warranty only applies to the original owner with the proof of purchase. In this case I would ask the purchaser where they got them from, ask them if they could get hold of a bank/credit statement to show when and go to the shop they bought them from and ask if they would give you a receipt or contact them on your behalf. Our shop has everything on account on the till system so it would be easy to get the receipt for you.

T

higgo
    Free Member

I guess you haven’t sent them back to ‘Rockshox’, I guess you’ve sent them back to Rockshox’ importers.

Without a proof of purchase the importers have no idea if they came through them or another route.

Why should they fix something they didn’t supply?

baznav73
    Free Member

The problem with rockshox is the amount of grey import forks around and for this reason they want to see your recipt.

skywalker
    Free Member

You don’t have a leg to stand on mate.

shortcut

A warranty contract is usually between the original purchaser and the shop. The manufacturer is not who you should have the relationship with. Take it back to the hop you got it from, explain the situation and that you have lost the receipt an go on from there.

If mail order there should be some evidence of purchase and again send back via them.

Second hand – erm, out of luck!

wilde86
    Free Member

good suggestion goatster, will try that option!

higgo, your right; I sent them back to the UK distributor, fisher outdoor. You have a valid point, but in the condition they are in, whether they were from them or from elsewhere, they are the face and brand representatives of rockshox in the UK, so I would have expected more from them than such a negative answer.

There is clearly (from looking at the forks) a production line fault on the forks and it isnt through any kind of missuse, they could have referred them back to the manufacturer IMO.

goatster
    Free Member

What shop where they bought from?

wilde86
    Free Member

I dont know what shop they came from, they were a gift purchased online. I am asking the questions to the buyer (a relative) who should be able to look back through bank statements to find out. Given they were purchased nearly a year ago, by someone with no interest in bikes, I wouldnt expect them to remember the name of the shop (would your gran??)

Cheers for your input people.

wilde86
    Free Member

Quick update – As mentioned I didnt have receipt or any info regarding the forks. But I received them back from SRAM this week, with brand new lowers and other bits, all covered under warranty!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Once again folk confusing warranty with your legal rights under Sale of Goods act

Warranty is over and above your sale of goods act rights and is at the importers / manufacturers discretion. What ever conditins they say applies applies

Sale of goods act rights are written down in law and is based on the contract between the purchaser and the retailer. It is the purchaser who has the rights and the retailer that has to make good any shortcomings

So if the person who bought them for you took them to the shop they bought them from they could try to exercise their legal rights for which you do not need a receipt as such. However at this timescale this will not be easy to do.

Not really a huge amount yo can do with this one unless yo can show its a common fault / manufacturing defect

simondbarnes

Not really a huge amount yo can do with this one unless yo can show its a common fault / manufacturing defect

Or you could just read the reply before yours 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox warranty issue – not sure what to do?’ is closed to new replies.