• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rockshox Pike – anyone use less tokens?
  • charliemort

Hi

I struggle to get full travel from some approx 3 year old Pike 29 140mm.

Have the standard 2 tokens

even set up about 10 psi below recommended pressure, I have 30 / 40 mm unused travel on a normal ride, even with some biggish hits (and I’m a pretty big unit). If I run lower pressure still I’m at 40% ish sag

I know a lot of people add a token to add progression but I seem to have the opposite problem – too much ramp up. Anyone running with less tokens than standard?

Stanctions have signs of wear – going bluish – but action is smooth enough with no air in them, so I don’t think they are fubar’d

thanks

nickc

I had a token in mine (150mm 27.5) but took it out, I’m an average 75kg in ride gear, and I struggle to get full travel out of mine. I’ve got it to feel how I want, and stopped worrying about it, TBH

steel4real
    Free Member

Same as Nickc – 150mm Pike on the HT and zero tokens.

Also on my partners 120mm Pike (29er) reduced the standard 4 tokens to 2 as she is light.

Different situations to the OP but I also have a FS with a 160mm Pike and found that adding tokens, even just one, made the ramp up feel too harsh for my liking. I’ve since fit the MRP ramp control and that works really nicely with the added advantage of being able to adjust on the fly if sessioning a drop off or something or a bike park day etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

27.5 x 160. 200 lbs rider. Never used a token.

As an aside, I also think they are over damped and I’m going to try the light rebound tune, and then tinker with the compression stack.

And it should be FEWER tokens. 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a 140mm Yari and fitted the Luftkappe piston upgrade.

I’m about 92kg (if our scales are right), running one token. I started off with 105psi but the ramp up was nuts. In places where my 350 NCR’s bottomed out I was just about getting 100mm travel. I dropped the pressure and settled on 90psi last night. This gives me 26% sag but goes against the recommendations of running a slightly higher pressure with the Luftkappe. i think I’m going to increase my pressure and loose the token.

TF said to start with two tokens and 10% extra psi….the forks barely moved!

Rickos
    Free Member

I used to have 2 tokens and 30% sag on my 29 150mm. Mid-corner support was rubbish, but had nice supple initial action. Swapped to 0 tokens and 25% sag and much better mid-range support, so that’s much better for me. I’ve never had problems getting full travel in either set up though. FoD rooty downhill type riding.

roverpig

No, but I’ve used fewer tokens 🙂

Seriously, it’s all personal preference. If you want them to be a bit more linear, remove a token. It’s easy enough to put it back if you don’t like it.

charliemort

D’accord, je vais essayer avec moins de tokens, voir ce que ca donne

Okay grammar dudes??!

deanfbm
    Free Member

If they feel right, what does it matter if you’re using full travel?

Just means you’ve got too much travel for your riding, though 40% sag on a pike and I’d be bottoming on anything other than fire roads.

Either your riding doesn’t warrant 140mm or you have massive air build up in your lowers, or something wrong.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Started with zero, one was good for a year. Moved to two with 10 psi and rebound less. Experiment. I’m also FoD. Depends how what you ride. You can always take them out and go back to old setup. Experiment with more less air to as well to find what works best.

If you go abroad expect to change air pressure.

poah
    Free Member

apart from getting full travel are you happy with the performance of the fork over small/medium hits. I didn’t get full travel out of my pikes (luftkappe no tokens) but the fork performed well other wise.

If you don’t like the ramping up on larger hits then take out a token. Don’t think you have to get full travel on every ride, you might not be doing enough to get full travel.

ajantom

I’ve always figured you should be getting up to 75/80% travel on most rides, with that last 20% there in reserve if you need it. No point in blowing through your travel all the time.

Alex

I’m about the same weight s NickC and run two in mine on the Mojo. Ben from Bird put some advice up on another thread which suggested three was the right number for a 140mm version. I’m not man enough for that, felt far too harsh. Went back to 2 and get full travel with about 25% of sag. Small bump still feels pretty good.

It’s getting serviced soon so I’ll ask Jake @ Sprung what he thinks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Pike – anyone use less tokens?’ is closed to new replies.