Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rockshox coil spring weights and changing springs
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

What sort of spring weight would a Recon u turn have in it as standard? Im 13 + stone with kit – would i be too heavy for it?

If i was to need a heavier spring, which one would it be and how easy are they to fit?

grumm
    Free Member

It would probably come with a medium spring. With your weight I think Rockshox would say you need an x-firm, but you might well only need a firm ime. I am basing this on my experience with a Pike so may not be directly relevant.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Anyone else?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I weigh in at 14.5 and run a firm in my Lyriks, so can't see you needing more than a firm. Have a chat with TFtuned, they tell you (for free). There is probably a chart somewhere if you google.

Changing the spring is piss easy, have a look in youtube there are loads of videos (some offical SRAM ones as well). Look for rockshox fork service (or something like that). Its a 5 minute job.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd imagine at your weight the standard spring will be fine. Try it first, if it feels too soft, get a heavy.

They are VERY VERY easy to fit. Remove small screw and the U-turn knob (Left leg as seen from saddle) and catch the springs and bearings below it. Undo the 24mm 'nut' below it – Use a socket or a ring spanner, NOT an adjustable!
    Now at the bottom of the same leg, unscrew the bolt half way, give it a tap with a hammer to release the shaft (You'll feel it come loose) then remove the bolt. Some oil will come out. Catch the oil, or keep the forks horizontal to keep it in there.
    Pull spring out, lather new spring in pleanty of grease and make sure it's fully extended, drop into leg, screw bottom bolt back in. Add new oil (15wt suspension oil, 15-20ml) if you let the old out, push down on top of the spring and CAREFULLY feel the threads back in (Don't cross thread them, hold the socket in your hand not in the ratchet, for more feel) nip up gently, reassemble, clean and grease springs etc

🙂

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Thats helpful, thanks!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I'm about 80kg's in just my nat king and I run a firm in my pikes. I had a med in there before and I'm not sure which one I preffered but I bottom the firm out fairly regularly so guess I should be using the firm. Like PP says they're very easy to change.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox coil spring weights and changing springs’ is closed to new replies.