Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rockshox 0w30 Suspension Fluid?
  • Joe

Is this stuff the same as red rum was a few years ago? Ow30 doesn’t actually make sense as a weight…

…sounds like a load of marketing bollocks to make you buy some expensive oil.

Does anyone know what it actually is?

nuke

My Pikes cost £500+ and i got 120ml of RS 0w30 off ebay for £6.70: it should be enough for 4+ low leg services…marketing BS or not, im happy enough with that

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have been using motorbike fully synthetic fork oil 5w in my pikes/rebas and revs. Any motor factor will sell it.

Rockshox oil info in link here :
    http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/bikesuspension.htm

LoCo
    Free Member

No, different to redrum, given that there is only 5ml in the damper side lower leg for lube it’s a good idea to use the specified oil for these.

Different design to the older Rockshox which had more oil & more basic internals, 120ml is £4.00 so not too pricey.

Joe

At 60 odd quid a litre… you’re obviously making more bucks than me.

LoCo
    Free Member

RRP is £5 per 120ml, litres are £13.99(rrp £15.00) so hardly making a fortune given what we have to pay for it 😉

It’s like using WD40 on your chain because it’s £1 cheaper than proper chainlube 😀

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Loco obviously know his stuff and quite rightly recommends you use OEM fluids specified by the manufacturer.

But the likes of fox and rockshox do not make / mix there own oils. They buy a specified grade from a bulk manufacturer, stick it in a fancy jar, colour it blue (fox) or red (rockshox) and whack on a premium.

Float fluid is nothing more than 80 wt gear oil.

As loco says you need to get the correct oil for lubrication (in lowers, springs and wiper) and the damper (damping oil has anti foaming additives).

Motorbike fork oil is for the damper side.

If the forks are new and in warranty I would stick with the recommended fluids. If not, then get alternatives. You will service more often which is a good thing. I do my lower legs and damper every month or so.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox 0w30 Suspension Fluid?’ is closed to new replies.