Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph
  • rootes1

they look very similar..

which is ‘knobblier’?

neninja
    Free Member

The Ron has deeper tread but a lighter carcass.

rootes1

hmmn.. rocket ron grippier but less durable then?

mcboo
    Free Member

as above, Rons are a proper luxury item. I’m not expecting mine to last but while they do they are tremendous. Light, fast and grippy including a bit of mud…..perform better than Ralphs I think. But vulnerable and wear pretty quickly.

rootes1

was looking to go for nobbly nic at the front and either of the RR’s on the the rear of my 29er Swift as a change from the Geax Saguaro’s

stayhigh

That was the conclusion I came to when wondering the same thing a little while agao.

IIRC it went something along the lines of: a RaRa lasts longer the a RoRo which offers better grip when things get sketchy.

I went for a Ro Ro on my rear in ust flavour. Its only been on for a couple of rides but have no complaints so far.

I have an Advantage on the front which I find a bit square feeling when cornering. I’m toying with the idea of swapping it for another RoRo as it has a more rounded profile.

dickie
    Free Member

Due the british spring/summer/autumn of changeable weekly/daily/hour weather from bone dry then chucking it down I switched from Ralphs to Ron’s.
    Running tubeless so opted for Rocket Ron Performance for a bit more strength, 500g, £20 from On One.

njee20
    Free Member

Rons have more tread in the middle and less on the shoulders, Ralphs are the opposite (obviously!). Rons lighter, and faster. Ralphs for rocky areas, Rons otherwise IMO.

stayhigh

@ Dickie: How was the RoRo Performance for going on tubeless, any issues? My UST was £25 but On One have put price upto £35 now. I’m using Crossrides with a Joes kit btw.

DT78
    Free Member

Ron on the front of my hardtail, really please, seems to be wearing ok.

I’ve got through two ralphs on the rear (flint slicing sidewalls). Too expensive for me to keep replacing so currently switched to a spare conti race king I had which has survived longer than both ralphs.

wintermute
    Free Member

aren’t rons 15 quid on on-one atm?

dickie
    Free Member

These;
    Rocket Ron performance £20

On 3 pairs of ZTR 355/Crest with JRA wheel milk – no problem.

The Evo’s are £15 yes, but they are very light & thin.

njee20
    Free Member

aren’t rons 15 quid on on-one atm?

They’re OEM ‘Evo’ ones – which are coming out vastly over weight, all 520g+, I’d pay the extra £10 to get pukka ones from Action Sports.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

RoRo front / RaRa rear is my favourite combo for xc riding & racing, RoRo on the front provides a surprisingly good level of grip and even deals with wet, muddy conditions quite well. I’d always run a RoRo on the front opposed to a RaRa unless I was riding on uber dry, smooth trails.

njee20
    Free Member

unless I was riding on uber dry, smooth trails.

In which case I’d buy a Fred…

wintermute
    Free Member

How would the tyre linked by Dickie hold up to general UK trail centre singletrack abuse?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

[In which case I’d buy a Fred…]

Not a chance for me, no waaay I’d ever put a Furious Fred on the front! :-O

njee20
    Free Member

How would the tyre linked by Dickie hold up to general UK trail centre singletrack abuse?

Yep, be fine. The Performance versions have tougher carcasses.

Not a chance for me, no waaay I’d ever put a Furious Fred on the front!

They’re entertaining. I do use them on the back far far more it must be said, in the dry they’re a great rear tyre.

Scamper
    Free Member

Reading the above, i’d rather have a rr on the front than a ron if they have more grip on the outside?

Used Double Defence Evo (?) Ralphs on the rear on normal rides and at wet welsh trail centres with no problems regarding wear or grip. No problems either with the standard Ralph, but few sharp rocks at Cannock.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I use Ralphs all year round, I really rate them and they cope with all condition.
    Ron’s are a good tyre, but less suited to my usual riding and I’d rather keep to one tyre and know what it will do in all conditions, rather than changing tyres to suit different conditions.

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

+1 RR’s for fast rolling summer tyre. Using Kenda Blue Groove/ Nevegal at mo (with the oncoming of winter). Did try Maxxis HR’s which were okay – and nothing more?

Janesy
    Free Member

Currently I’ve got Rocket Ron on the front and Racing Ralph on the rear.
    Seems to work very well. I love the grip of the Ron.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Man tyres are confusing

You guys are only talking about two different types from the same manufactor and I still don’t know which ones to get.

Right think I want RocRons but which ones…?

Pacestar, Evo or performance?

Any ideas please guys.

Will be put on (hopefully) ghettod tubeless DT 4.2d rims and used only for the odd race or quick blasts not far from home.

cheers

mafiafish
    Free Member

Pacestar, hard in middle = faster, soft on outside = still able to corner properly.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

So the opposite if Ammadillos then 🙂

Cool thanks

schmiken

Go for Evo ones from actionsports.de. Easier to seal up on tubeless.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph’ is closed to new replies.