Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • rocket ron burst off rim twice and now got egg in sidewall grrrrrr
  • xcretro
    Free Member

To cut a long story short – I thought i would pop some sealant in and run the rocket rons tubeless but on first inflation which was easy I might add, it was up to 40 psi and seated, I shook the wheel about as normal to get the sealant around the bead and to seal any pin holes in sidewalls and then after about 30 seconds the tyre exploded off the rim! kind of suprised me, but I tried again and it did the same, I then tried cleaning all sealant from inside tyre and just mounted with a tube and this time the tyre wouldnt seat properly and the tube exploded, mounted again with another tube and inflated very slowly to about 30 psi and noticed an egg on the sidewall and the bead wouldnt seat in the rim at that point.

I have a suspicion the tyre was faulty in first place but deffo no good now.

any ideas on whether this is a scrap tyre now? it was brand new on some ebay wheels I bought.

cheers

bikeneil
    Free Member

What rim did you try it on?

scaredypants

I’ve had exactly that with nobby nics

One is on my wife’s bike (with inner tube) which only gets gently bimbled, the other got chucked

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Ebay seller probably thought he’d “add value” by fitting a shonky tyre. How was the listing worded? Have you actually used the tyre?

njee20
    Free Member

IME, one a tyre has blown off the rim it’s wrecked. I ended up buying a new rim as one of mine kept blowing tyres up. Never found a reason for it

Mbnut
    Free Member

The new Stans rims are not compatible with Schwalbe tyres. Not sure of your combo.

Once a tyre has blown off a rim then it has generally had it.

RickDraper
    Free Member

^ Never heard that before? Which rims?

honourablegeorge

Mbnut – Member
    The new Stans rims are not compatible with Schwalbe tyres. Not sure of your combo.

Not true.

xcretro
    Free Member

Hi. They are ritchey wcs carbon wheels. There is no rim damage as far as I can see.

Running with latex c4 tubes now and a Michelin xcr 2 dry

njee20
    Free Member

Bollocks. They’re tight, but not “incompatible”.

They are ritchey wcs carbon wheels

Not the DTs? Are they actually tubeless ready?

ridewhenever
    Free Member

Tosh, on the stans rim thing.

I’ve done 2.4″ rons on a variety of rims, the key thing I’ve found is that they’re massively slack. So you need to make sure that the rim well is suitably packed out before inflating.

tazzymtb

The beads on rons aren’t the strongest, in addition is the 40psi with an accurate guage or one on a compressor? From memory with stans rums for example the max inflation pressure is pretty low around the 40psi mark and if you go over you can stretxh the bead and blow the tyre. Not sure if the same applies to the rim you have but worth a look. Ive never needed more than 25 psi to seat the beads propperly on a tubeless setup so it may be a technique thing as well?

Anyway onve the bead has stretched the tyre won’t play tubeless and will dump of the rimsat very low pressures

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘rocket ron burst off rim twice and now got egg in sidewall grrrrrr’ is closed to new replies.