Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rocket Ron 29er TLs. Anyone use them as an all rounder?
  • bol

I’m planning a new build in a couple of weekd time and what had started off sensibly is getting a bit weenie. I wa thinking of trying some Rons tubeless to loose half a pound or so over my usual beefier tyres. I won’t be riding anywhere with big spikey rocks on this bike, do don’t really need to worry too much about strength.

Anyone used the new tubeless ready ones? If so, what are your experiences?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Yes sidewalls are paper thin and should be kept well away from rocks, Save yourself the hassle and get some reliable (but not that much heavier)snakeskin walled Schwalbe’s. Still swear by NN front RR rear.

tazzymtb

top banana, light, fast, grippy haven’t lost a sidewall yet even riding rocky stuff in the peak and north wales, but I am a fairly light rider rather than a monstertruck of a biffer.

jimification
    Free Member

I like them. Light, fast rolling but enough tread that you don’t have to change tyres if it gets mucky. Havn’t had any hassle with the sidewalls even on big, steep, rocky descents. That’s with them tubed, though (and I’m another light rider)…I suspect the sidewalls might be more vulnerable when used tubeless.

bol

I am a monster truck of a biffer, but my local trails, while a bit flinty in places, are rockless – hence the dilemma. They are pretty thorny sometimes though, so tubeless is pretty important for me.

AverageMark
    Free Member

Morning, i run a Ron on the front and won’t be replacing it like for like, ok for a race tyre round here, but a bit fragile for everyday use.

jimification
    Free Member

Why are people so concerned about sidewalls? – I think I’ve only had one sidewall cut in all the time I’ve been riding (apart from tyres that are obviously wearing out) I’m curious to know if it’s more of a problem with tubeless? (it does seem like it from friend’s experiences – maybe because they tend to be run at lower pressure? or the inner tube is giving extra padding?).

AverageMark
    Free Member

Sidewalls on mine have been fine so far, they did take a hell of a lot to seal though. I’ve managed to cut the actual tread on mine so it wouldn’t seal. Repaired it in the end with a patch but it was a faff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rocket Ron 29er TLs. Anyone use them as an all rounder?’ is closed to new replies.