Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • rocker bolt sheared, HELP PLEASE!
  • bangermoose
    Free Member

Hi all,
    just taking off the bolt connecting the rocker link to the top of the rear shock to give the bearings a clean on a 2011 trek fuel ex9.7,and the bolt head sheared! have managed to get it off but I’m meant to be riding round scotland next week so desperately need a replacement! booked time off work etc…
    evans have said they would have to order on in and would be with me in three weeks, and there are no other shops open at the moment for me to try.

any ideas where i can get a replacement from that would be with me in time,(im in birmingham)

Macavity
    Free Member

Ask Trek.

Trek Bicycle Corporation Ltd
    15 Maidstone Road
    Milton Keynes
    MK10 0BE
    Tel: 01908282626

bangermoose
    Free Member

yeah, will try them tomorrow, it said on their web site for parts go through their authorised dealers but they may be able to point me in the right direction.

thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is it a unusual shaped bolt? Or a standard one

spock
    Free Member

Pretend your a shop when you ring up trek, works a charm

bangermoose
    Free Member

it just needs the correct diameter face/head for the bush to sit on outside the bearings, has the torque spec on the bolt also but that isnt essential (and I was using a torque wrench which makes it even more annoying)

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Yes I broke 1 of those on my ex8 and I know a chap who has broken 3 . If you can’t get a replacement in time your friendly local Trek dealer might just take 1 off a bike while the replacement is on its way .

motorman
    Free Member

I’ve done this…Trek Alu bolts are sh1te

I replaced mine with regular SS capbolts which work just fine. I want strength at my suspension connection points, not chocolate bolts.

kimbers

betd are usually pretty knowledgeable on that stuff

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

bangermoose
    Free Member

Got it sorted in time thanks to on your bike in birmingham, and just got back from bonny Scotland, stuck to the trail centres as there are so many to try up there. We rode Mabie, Dalbetie, Ae, Glentress and fort william, all amazing! especially glentress. would recommend a trip there to anyone. though both of us will join the long list of people who have broken their bikes at Fort William (nothing terminal), but that allowed a climb on foot of Ben Nevis, (saw 2 guys carrying their bikes up and tumbling all the way down so hats off to them!)

standish
    Free Member

Hi motorman

What exactly did you use to replace the sh1te bolts that trek supply
    I have just broken my third bolt now and I need the bike for a trip to Scotland on Wednsday so I can’t wait another 3 weeks for another one to arrive.

I’ve found some 20mm M10 Socket head bolts but not with the 8mm of no thread that goes through the frame.

Dave

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘rocker bolt sheared, HELP PLEASE!’ is closed to new replies.