Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rock Shox SID Race 80 Poplock or Fox F80RL Lockout
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

Dilema, I have the opertunity to get a bike with either of these forks on.

It's a hardtail and the riding I will be doing is more XC than trail centres.

Is the SID the best option?

What is the durability like?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Or should I look for a different XC 80mm fork?

njee20
    Free Member

SID would get my nod.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if its teh flx3500d you mentioned last night then up them to 100mm by removing the spacer – requires only a deep drive socket and a pair of circlip pliers …. check my blog for details…

The other bike i guess is the hfs 3000d ?

both same geometry and i seriously suggest 100mm , not for the travel benifits but for the handling. The head angle needs to be slacker than it is in the 80 , angle of attack is too steep and becomes jarring in anything other than a short course XC race.

ive put up with the 80mm up till last week , rode the merida at weekend adn glentress black on 100mm and its a completely different bike , so much more capible . Spoke to jamesey the rep before i did it and he said no sweat , warrentied for 80 or 100mm forks

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Trail_rat you are indeed correct.

I like the FLX3500D as it is carbon but the HFS3000D looks better priced.

Any idea what weight both are in a medium?

trail_rat
    Free Member

22.10 for the 18" FLX 3500d

i have no idea about the alloy one im afraid

ive changed a few things on mine but ive got a 20" one down to 21.8 – now

XTR r/mech
    XTR shifters
    Truvativ Team carbon bars(not on at last weigh)
    Hope XC sp3 on stans 355s
    thomson post and stem
    forks to 100mm
    Pedals to XTR (not on at last weigh)
    Saddle to SLR 135(not on at last weigh)
    Ergon GX1s
    Xlite Ti skewers

Nothing changed because it was crap purely out of weight -except the ergons – those were a gift for terry. id have bought the team but for its god awful colouring and the red going better with my team kit – god i sound vain !

Dimmadan
    Free Member

22.10 as standard I assume?

You sponsored by them as you are doing well plugging them?

How does the flex system feel compared to a normal hardtail?

The team one is rather nice and loved the previous years metallic blue and green.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I sell meridas (amongst other brands) for the day job

Dude the only way to experiance the flex system is to ride it.

I sold my race bike (old shape heckler) and borrowed a bike for my first race this season. A giant XTC that weighed 21lbs . It rode horribly – rear end was very very direct. At the time (if you search back in the posts youll see my questions) i was debating the red 96 or the 3500d. A friend had recently bought the previous years FLX frame and built it up. I had a shot and it was like chalk and cheese coming from the giant (which is probably an example of the stiffest rear end on a frame out there mind so im not saying the flx is like rear sus) but its certainly comfy.

I wouldnt have bought it otherwise- i do predominantly endurance riding with a bit of XC thrown in – not the other way. So comfort was important to me.

where you based ? doing any other events ? your welcome to have a decent shot on mine if we are near or at an event

Dimmadan
    Free Member

You got an email address we can chat on rather than blocking the site up?

trail_rat
    Free Member

alright , just fire me a mail to the address in profile – i did send you a mail from there BUT it was from my phone so no idea if it even sent – isnt technology great.

Just been out in the garden fannying about and cleaning off mondays glentress escapades !

One thing to add , i know its not a direct comparison but i have spent some time riding both the scultura evo full bike and the 901 alloy counterpart – almost identical specification. the alloy one is a much much harsher ride than the carbon one. I would liken the alloy one to my mates orbea orca road bike in terms of rear end complience(ie very little) – thats the way he likes his bikes but not my cup of tea for long stuff

trail_rat
    Free Member

taken tonight – looks nicer without the gaudy DT/Merida stickers on the rims – they peel off easy though

Dimmadan
    Free Member

YGM

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox SID Race 80 Poplock or Fox F80RL Lockout’ is closed to new replies.