Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rock shox RS1 reviews
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi , I’m thinking of buying a bike with RS1 front shocks
    Most of the reviews I can find slate them
    I’m interested to hear what the real life long term reviews are
    The bike is used so coming at a good price therefore value for money isn’t a real issue
    I’m more interested in performance and ease of servicing

Thanks

philxx1975
    Free Member

What do you mean real world reviews, none of these people who wake up and write copy for the magazines etc are out to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes.

So if they are slating them there probably not telling fibs.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Spoke to a bloke a couple of weeks ago with one on his bike.

He liked it’s action, but commented on the twang at the hub. If you were in some ruts, you could turn the bars and the hub would flex before the force was applied to get you out of them.

Just like Maverick’s really 😯

mboy
    Free Member

Just like Maverick’s really

Yes, but… Many of us spent many years riding Maverick forks and the twist that was described never really presented itself as an issue when you were actually riding the things, disconcerting as it may have been in the car park test.

Going to watch this thread with interest, been tempted by an RS-1 for my Hardtail a number of times, the main thing that has put me off ironically is the proprietary hub, not that that wasn’t an issue with the Maverick fork but at least that just used bog standard 6805 bearings. The SRAM hubs all use proprietary bearings, and knowing the issue many of us LBS owners have had with SRAM Roam wheel bearings failing prematurely and not being able to get replacements, I’d be wary of buying a fork I couldn’t ride because my hub bearings had died!

That and the faintly ridiculous RRP of course…

gee
    Free Member

I know a few people with one.

Front wheel removal and fitting is a pain as the legs rotate independently and the leg with the damper in ends up extended a different amount to the leg with the spring in. Plus you need a special hub which is crap by all accounts (bearings).

The do seem to last a bit longer between services.

Just get a SID.

hatter

DT do a front 240 which should sort your bearing worries, it is expensive though… and 28 hole straight pull only

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Carbon Ti do a hub that coverts between 15x 100mm and predictive, uses a separate axle but does require the whee to be redished

Just get a SID +1

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve looked into a set of RS1’s in the past but as with everyone above, I was put off by the oddball hub.

I think it says a lot about the RS1 when companies like Specialized have moved away from the RS1 and back to normal RockShox forks on bikes like the Epic.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rock shox RS1 reviews’ is closed to new replies.