Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Rock Shox Pike setup
  • Entonox
    Free Member

I emailed SRAM Tech Support a while ago asking about the Pike’s different modes. This was their reply –

The difference between lock and pedal is subtle, lock is firmer. Basically lock gives about 15-20mm of free movement, pedal about 20-30 with a softer feel before a fast ramp up in damping. Varies a little based on air pressure. The low compression adjuster (small knob) only works in the open position; in lock and pedal the main damper circuit far exceeds the low speed adjustment. Don’t forget on a bike with this much travel the fork has to move a little more in climbing at “lock” otherwise the rider will be fighting the front end on small bumps. It’s not an XC style lock.

merynella
    Free Member

As someone who has never had a fork with anything other than low speed rebound to play with, this looks like a useful general guide to understanding how to adjust rebound and compression.

null

fozzybear
    Free Member

That link while explaining how a bike feels has no relation to the Pike forks.

merynella
    Free Member

It gives general idea of the effect of the different types of damping.

nickdavies

I run a couple of clicks LSC, about 75% fast rebound (which I vary between 1/2 to full fast depending where i’m riding) one token and probably a bit more air than i need too, but I like it to stay high. Very rarely come near the bottom of the travel. That’s at approx 85kg no kit.

mine only 3 months old though, so i’m still fettling.

twohats
    Free Member

It would be interesting to know what pressure/ bodyweight/tokens people are running in their pikes.
    I’m still messing with mine and currently run 70psi, weigh 82kg, no tokens.

fozzybear
    Free Member

I’m running token less at to test.
    82-85 fully kitted (drinks depending).
    80 psi (on a fox digital pump)
    Testing at BPW may run lower psi and a token still unsure.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

~85kg here, running about 85 psi and one token. Token has stopped me bottoming out on 3-4ft drops but still need to play with the compression etc. only had them a month but so far a revelation compared to my 32 Fox Floats.

Gee76
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting, think I’m about 82kg kitted but running 60psi iirc. Probably at medium rebound position and not sure about compresion now. I normally run mine in fully open position but never realised that the little dial impacted that (LSC). I thought that little lsc dial was the blowoff threshold for the licked out pisition as on my old revs. Every Day is a school day. Good tho as it gives me further adjustment of the mode I actually use

Looks like I need to check how many tokens I have fitted. Felt good at the weekend tho bashing down garburn pass:). Was on my new steed, 150mm pike and 4.5″ at the rear. Strange combo but with 29″ wheels it really worked

Sounds like I’ve a bit more tuning to do yet tho.

kimbers
    fozzybear
    Free Member

Kimbers.. credit where it’s due please 😀
    They just linked to all the SRam info on their page 😉

fozzybear
    Free Member

Just a note.
    some people have said their socket has rounded the top of the fork nut.
    just be careful of this, you may need to buy a cheap socket and get the edge machined or ground flat.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Interesting thread.

I just got some Pikes and they don’t seem to have come with any kind of setup information. All I got was a “manual” to tell me how to use the Maxle, shock pump and spare seals.

I didn’t get any tokens. At least there weren’t any in the pack that I got. They were fitted by the LBS so it is possible they installed them but I doubt it. I’ll check anyway.

Have people here generally gotten the tokens in with the bits and bobs that come with the forks or not?

Cheers

J273
    Free Member

I’ve just received some140mm 29er pikes today that I ordered from hhibike. I’ve noticed they have no sag guide on the right stanchion.

Is this the norm for the 29er flavour to have no sag guide?

Thanks

singlespeedstu

The 140 29er doesn’t have the sag scale on.
    The 150/160 29er does.

waiting for a new airspring to convert to 160/51mm offset. by multispeedstu, on Flickr

BadlyWiredDog

Just a note.
    some people have said their socket has rounded the top of the fork nut.
    just be careful of this, you may need to buy a cheap socket and get the edge machined or ground flat.

How do you machine or grind a cheap socket flat? Wouldn’t you be better off buying a proper, six-sided socket to start off with. Random.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The setup on mine. I’m 70kg.

2 bottomless tokens
    75psi
    Fairly fast, so 10 clicks of rebound from open
    4 clicks of low speed compression from none

Feels great to me. Loads of support and still good small bump sensitivity.

I wouldn’t worry about other people’s rebound setup because it is completely dependant on air pressure and personal preference.

Northwind

BadlyWiredDog – Member

How do you machine or grind a cheap socket flat? Wouldn’t you be better off buying a proper, six-sided socket to start off with. Random.

What people are struggling with here is the rounded inner edge many sockets have. Even some really high quality kit will struggle to engage with a low profile “nut” especially in larger sizes where you can usually assume something much bigger. So you machine them down to be square edged I’ve got a couple of turned down Brittools for exactly this reason.

BadlyWiredDog

What people are struggling with here is the rounded inner edge many sockets have. Even some really high quality kit will struggle to engage with a low profile “nut” especially in larger sizes where you can usually assume something much bigger. So you machine them down to be square edged I’ve got a couple of turned down Brittools for exactly this reason.

Got it. So it’s actually the lower edge of the socket that’s being ground flat. Interesting.

mrintensity
    Free Member

For you guys (like me) that are running the 140mm 29er,it comes from the factory with 2 tokens already fitted.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Woe is me, I didn’t get any tokens with mine. Any kind souls out there want to donate a spare token to my bottomless benevolent fund? I reckon 1 would do me, I’m only 140ish lbs

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’ve found them for sale at JE James for £13, so unless I get a donation I’ll buy them. Its a bit irritating that they are missing, I had the seal kit.

deadkenny
    Free Member

getonyourbike – Member
    4 clicks of low speed compression from none

Just trying to work this out compared to my Lyriks which have HS and LS compression knobs but they are marked soft and hard on either end.

On the Pike it’s marked ‘lock’ at one end. Is that like setting it to hard?

And is that what you mean by none?

Just that on the Lyriks I run them about 3 or 4 clicks from hard. Much more than that and it starts to dive for me.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Pikes are much less divey and ride higher in the travel than Lyriks.

None is ‘wide open’ which means fully wound anti clockwise. Turning clockwise adds more low speed comp.

tindan
    Free Member

I have a Pike RCT3 160mm (26 inch wheels)

I run 3 clicks toward + on LSC and four clicks out from the ‘Rabbit’ on the bottom of the fork.

I weigh 90kgs kitted and find that I run 75psi in the forks.

No Tokens..

I tried the recommended settings for psi/weight and found I never seemed to use much of my travel?

Now with less psi I use at least 150mm of my 160mm travel.

My most common ridden tails include medium sized drops and jumps.

I’m curious to hear from anyone of similar weight, how they set up their Pike?

philwarren11
    Free Member

100kg

No speed compression for trail centre up to 3 clicks for steep local stuff.

About 25% sag, not really sure as I just ride and adjust depending on how much travel I use.

2 tokens

Few clicks out from slow I think. Probably about 4.

150mm 26″ versions.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Put 1 token in today, 80psi..
    1 click LSC
    7 clicks rebound

100kg kitted up, fork feels much better and not eating up all the travel.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Pike setup’ is closed to new replies.