Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rock Shox Chop Shop – Two forks enter, only one will emerge!
  • continuity
    Free Member

I have;

Revelation Team Dual Air (same as rlt ti), but with worn anodising on the uppers. A new CSU is 250 quid. They work ok, but worn anodising is worn anodising. Everything else working (could use a service but I can do that). Got these cheap (very) on ebay.

Sektor RL Solo Air. Only a few months old, lightly used.

I want to get one usable pair of forks (the best pair) and one sellable pair of forks (recoup some cash).

My thoughts were; put blackbox moco and dual flow rebound into Sektors. Put Sektor MoCo and rebound into revelations. Revelations are now Revelation Races – to be sold as “worn”.

Other ideas – is the dual air spring worth keeping? RS are switching back to a solo air spring for 2013 32mm forks. Is this a cost cutter or does a dual air spring not make much difference. Would this fit in a sektor? (I dont see why not)

james
    Free Member

Id check the state of the bushings (upper and lower
    A worn bushing (down to the metal) is what caused stantion wear on my Revs
    Whats a real PITA is since power buldge the lower bushings aren’t replacable. Rockshox have effectively made lowers a wear/replace item, Guessing they’ll be £200+?

But yes, so long as both are the same maximum (unspacered) travel, if not you could have issues with rebound/-ve air lower shafts reaching the base of the lowers and having enogh stantion/bushing overlap?

Id probably go with the solo air setup. imbalanced air pressures can be nice but too compromised IME, either plush but too divey and sucks travel down, or feel a bit too firm if you’re not on it going down the hill. ie up the hill it might not track the same? I dunno. Depends how much dive is a problem for you
    Plus both sets of dual-air forks Ive had have leaked in some way such that the air pressure ratio changes (either sucking down or leaking there way to too firm)
    Id rather any leak was constantly balanced between the 2 as solo air does when it leaks

Not sure Id sell them as Rev Races though
    Double check the specs exacltly
    IIRC Revs have floodgate adjust in the MoCo unit. Do sectors have that?
    Not sure how an RL sector would differ in the MoCo unit to a Rev
    Also, what crown/uppers will it end up with. Not a steel steerer or not slim crown
    Im not sure where the weight difference is, but I think sectors are typically 150g or more than revs, might be steel steerer, might be somewhere else. I dont know

Northwind

Dual air spring is worth having, if it so happens that you want your forks to behave differently to what Rockshox think is right. As it happens I do- mine are set up miles from their recommended settings. Haven’t used the latest solo air but I’d not be surprised to find that they mimic the current dual-air defaults, which I find divey.

But obviously ymmv.

continuity
    Free Member

You’re correct, the races had external compression and floodgate, whereas the moco unit from the sektors has just external compression adjust and the floodgate is automatically adjusted.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/08/20/tech-article-how-rockshox-motion-control-works/ is interesting.

Both have same max unspacered travel (150). Sektors have steel steerers, therefore an extra 150g in weight. Alu steerer is an option, but afaik not on this fork – however that’s 150g difference when the steerer is 265mm. These are both 180mm. That means only 100g heavier.

Do you run more in the + than the – then to avoid dive? I thought that dive was a compression damping issue (either ports or oil)?

spooky_b329

Sell the Revs honestly, just say that have had replacement internals from a different model fork, same features except X and X.

continuity
    Free Member

Oh, i have no plan to mislead someone – I was just under the impression that dual air revs with a normal moco cartridge from 2010 WERE rev races – in some senses they are, but they just miss a dial.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Chop Shop – Two forks enter, only one will emerge!’ is closed to new replies.