Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rock Razor Equivalent
  • mccraque

Having ridden a Rock Razor at Lake Garda last year, I thought I’d found the ideal tyre for our dry (ahem) UK summers. When I saw them at £15 online, I had to have one.

Except…it buzzes the damn stays of my Zesty when you lean the bike over. I’ve a 2.4 tyre that gets nowhere near the stays and this (2.35) which is much larger.

Is there anything slightly smaller but along the same lines? Perhaps the Spesh Slaughter? Anyone know how they size up?

mboy
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion SS is their 2.3″ carcass, which is narrower than a 2.35″ Schwalbe.

Also WTB do a tyre called the Riddler, which comes in a 2.25″ as well as a 2.4″.

Silly question, but have you checked your spoke tensions, that your rear axle is tight, and that you don’t have any play in any of the suspension bearings? Have known people running fairly big tyres in their Zesty’s with no issues before.

chakaping
    Free Member

Minion SS comes in 2.3. Definitely narrower, but has lower centre knobs I think.

andeh

Where were they £15? Mine is about dead.

Spesh. Slaughter is a similar style of thing.

Northwind

Wasn’t that convinced by the slaughter tbh, it’s pretty abrupt when it loses traction, way more so than the minion ss. Pain in the arse for climbing. Can’t really compare sizes, my impression was the Minion is slightly smaller than the slaughter but I didn’t measure. (I’m a recovering addict, if I start measuring tyres again who knows where it’ll end…)

mccraque

On one have them for £15

Spoke tension is fine although they are shit Easton wheels that I hate. It’s an old 2009 zesty with an asymmetric stay- so sits further to the drive side at the chain stay (but equidistant between seat stays)

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Ive put a Maxxis SS Silkworm on last week and it is brilliant!
    I did the Batch Burner last weekend and was worried about it being wet. Wasnt a problem. Grip was fantastic and side knobs are super soft. Saved my a**e a few times on the steep stuff.

Cracking tyre!

Anyone want to buy a practically new Schwalbe Trail Boss? 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Bargain for 26inch stalwarts!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Maxxis Larsen TT is still my go-to Summer tyre. Dual ply usually as it’s a bit on the narrow side, which would suit your situation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rock Razor Equivalent’ is closed to new replies.