Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Rock lobster tig team – Show and tell
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Getting tempted by one of the frames as they are 40% off at mo – tell me about yours.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I have an old RL Team Ti (same geometry) built up as a singlespeed, running 100mm 2006 Reba SLs – it’s ACE! Do it – you can’t leave it there for £180.

ajf
    Free Member

just received mine today! Fettled and ready to ride tomorrow.

full xt and fox f100rls. Looks sweet and very light! Bloke at work who signed for it couldn’t believe there was a mountain bike in the box. Will report back with pictures tomorrow.

Frame looks great, could do a lot worse for the price.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

stick some pics up tomorrow ajf – would be great to see it.

ajf
    Free Member

will do! Just needs to be somewhere more scenic than my kitchen

Quick blast round some trails on the way into work and take some then.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Is that the alu version?

I love my 853 one. The geometry is just right for a 100mm fork. Lovely little bike.

farm-boy

Yep, great bikes. Had mine since 2005 during which it has been used and abused all over the world. It just loves tight twisty singletrack.

Now in singlespeed mode

ajf
    Free Member

Is that the alu version?

Yep, the 853 wasn’t in my size and to be honest I wanted fast and light. On a quick ride around the block I can say it definitely meets that criteria.

Looking out at the window this morning to thick fog it may not be the best photo weather?

MRanger156
    Free Member

What size are you guys riding? I’m a shade under 6 foot and generally prefer a slightly (but not too much) smaller bike.

ajf
    Free Member

Wireless network and phone not playing this morning so no pictures of the bike in the wild at the moment. Have to do with a kitchen shot

I am 6ft 1″ and on a 19″. That gives me about a fists worth between top tube and the jewels

ajf
    Free Member

Some photos in the wild

And my view on the way into work this morning. Whay hey summer is here 🙄

theotherjonv

only complaint I have with my 853 one is that the paint was rubbish, but for £200 which is what i paid for it, that’s not a major headache. After 2 years i paid another £50 and had it stripped and powdercoated at a local p/coaters and it is now a joy.

MRanger156
    Free Member

ajf – that is a very nice looking bike. I want one!

nunuboogie
    Free Member

link[url=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nGARrFBvIyE/SaWzdSrqsfI/AAAAAAAAAKA/n0OEyo6y0rI/s1600-h/image-upload-40-749690.jpg]link[/url]

my 853, frame and various bits brought off here.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

<table style=”width:auto;”><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style=”font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right”>From Merlin Rocklobster</td></tr></table>

Just last weekend I swapped the bars/stem/seat post for carbon Easton kit, now running flat bars with bar ends. And binned the granny ring.

As others say, nice and light, very fast.

Keva
    Free Member

This is mine :

light and nippy – weighed in at 25lbs. Great fun bike.

Keva
    Free Member

i’m 5’4″ btw and the bike is a 15in.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Farm-Boy – at least I’m not the only person trying to singlespeed one! What are you running on yours? Mine’s 34/17 though it was 34/16 with a proper SS cog, but as the chain’s worn, it now has a 17 off an XT block but great tension.

That pic has it with the 16 on the back and I’ve gone back to Panaracer Fire XC Pros rather than the Conti Race King’s until the summer is here properly.

ajf – that looks sweet – you must be very happy, in spite of the weather!

Right – just off out on mine in the dark…

ajf
    Free Member

First proper ride and very happy! Great fun! Fast on singletrack, climbs amazingly. Only downside is a slightly low bottom bracket.

mranger, get it bought!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Glad you’re happy ajf – it looks the dogs… in the matte black!

farm-boy

I’m running 32:16 but I am using an Excentriker BB to tension the chain. The bike was great fun with gears and just as much without them. The paint does fall off though.

yoshimi

I was very tempted by either the Tig SL or the 853 but went for this instead – apparantly the same geometry (dont know how true that is) but very comfy and I’m mor than happy with it :))))

ajf
    Free Member

Yoshimi, nice!

They are exactly the same geometry. I did have a spec chart of all the frames but cannot find it?

Basic difference is in how the build the frame and yours has some fancy tubing.

When I went to test I was also looking at the malt 4 but after speaking with them the difference was basically the malt frame costs £100 more due to the fancy tubing and about 100g or so less in weight. So the choice really is do you want it in black or white.

yoshimi

cheers aif – I got mine as the frame only in the 40% of thing @ £240 – went with the intention of getting the Tig SL, spent ages looking at them both, there was only £60 in it when I got mine……………….pretty much had to flip a coin.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Here’s the geometry chart – you’re absolutely right ajf – they say they’re the same.

farm-boy – I spent ages trying to source an Excentriker or the Forward Components one – absolute nightmare and now the price has gone through the roof. It’s like both companies don’t want to sell one in the UK. What do you think of it? Was it pretty easy to set up? What chainset is it on there – did you need to remove the granny tabs? Mine’s the inner ring from an FSA Gossamer road compact, so shouldn’t present a problem. Have you got any more pics of it?

farm-boy

I got my Excentriker in Australia – don’t ask how much that cost.

Pretty easy to install, and once you have the hang of it nice and easy to adjust. Tensions the chain up a treat. You might need to use a half link though, which they do supply with it.

The chainset is a Raceface Evolve XC SS. It still came with the granny tabs but they came off real easy with an angle grinder.

So far very impressed with the Excentriker and much better/neater than any tensioners I’ve used. Sorry no other pics handy.

col642
    Free Member

Was considering buying a 19 inch. I’m 5 foot 10 and a half with a 32 IL.
    However looking at the geometry chart it looks like the standover height could be a bit tight. Should I be looking at a 17?
    Advice please.

Lanesra
    Free Member

17 would be perfect for you

gonetothehills
    Free Member

defo 17″

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Mine didn’t deserve this fate.

Lanesra
    Free Member

**** hell 😯

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Sorry, hideous isn’t it, I needed a commuter frame and this was £130 in a sale ages ago. Even uglier now with a lock mount, airzound and lots of grime.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Rock lobster tig team – Show and tell’ is closed to new replies.