Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Robin Williams
  • mashiehood
    Free Member

A very sad day, another good soul has left us. RIP robin

ktaylor
    Free Member

Great actor. Shame to lose him so tragically. Beyond “Mork and Mindy” the film that left an enduring impression on me:

“But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? – – Carpe – – hear it? – – Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.”

cliffyc
    Free Member

Really sad, it’s often true that funny comic people have a dark side to them…… ,A true comedy genius,when he ad-libbed he could take it anywhere. Made some great comic and dramatic films in his (short) time. 🙁

rossatease
    Free Member

Really Sad news can only repeat what everyone else has said, the most depressing news to hear as you wake up, somebody who brought so much joy and laughter was so clearly unhappy himself that he took his own life, so often the case. My version of Mrs Doubtfire with the kids was never a patch on him.

I’m genuinely upset by this.

RIP Robin, free from the birdcage at last.

boxelder

A real loss.

He would have laughed about my wife being distraught when I told her, until 30 mins later when she realised it wasn’t Robbie………..

[video]http://youtu.be/NBjWHfBHKos[/video]

kimbers

turns out he was one of us, well a roadie!

sad loss for those closest to him,

boxelder

Yup, mate of Lance.

jamj1974

Oh Captain. My Captain

Great comedian and a great actor in some great roles…

iamroughrider
    Free Member

Sad Loss RIP 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad sad day, a man of such genius but wracked by his own demons.

I grew up with Mork and Mindy and Happy Days in the 70’s and watched the “funny man” in everything. Really touched by Dead Poets Society and the genius of Good Morning Vietnam which was just made for him

RIP

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Always loved the Fisher King, really showed his fantastic acting skills. He could go from high comedy to low tragedy inside one take, and that is real talent.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgyLooq4qpk[/video]

Also remember watching Live at The Met back in the day, and almost stopping breathing from laughing so hard. A true comic genius. He will be sadly missed.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBgJn1038[/video]

Part 1

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wab0-PZgwQ[/video]

Part 2

I won’t post the rest up, but they’re all there on YT.

Sit back and enjoy, and remember him for this.

atlaz
    Free Member

Really sad, it’s often true that funny comic people have a dark side to them

There’s a Japanese comedian/actor (Takeshi Kitano, he of Takeshi’s Castle and Battle Royale) who ended up writing/directing/acting in a series of quite dark films following depression after an accident. Seems to credit it with recovering some balance in his life, by having an outlet for his darker feelings.

I can’t say I was a fan of everything Robin Williams did but his “straight” films were a real eye opener for me about how versatile he was.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Very sad.

Good Will Hunting was a great film, and probably the first time I realised just how good an actor he could be when he played a serious role.

Everything I’ve read says what a true gent he was and what a nice guy.

Shame.

binners

Just been reading some of his quotes. Genius!

“Reality is just a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs”

RIP. A genuine loss 🙁

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^
    All of the above +1

And that’s when you realize that God gave you a penis and a brain, and only enough blood to run one at a time.

TiRed

One Hour Photo; what originality.
    Good Morning Vietnam; what a soundtrack! What energy!
    What a loss.

edhornby

I don’t know if they’ll put it on the telly as a tribute, but if they do make sure you watch Cadillac Man, it’s a cracking performance, RIP

chewkw
    Free Member

RIP not so funny man or a fan of yours but you look like a nice guy.

🙁

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think Obama’s statement hit it just right 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Also remember watching Live at The Met back in the day, and almost stopping breathing from laughing so hard. A true comic genius. He will be sadly missed.

THIS

finbar
    Free Member

My sister and I had a copy of Mrs Doubtfire on VHS and watched it endlessly. Oddly, to the point that I can’t stand the film now, but I don’t hold that against Robin Williams.

Did he have children?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Obama’s statement is perfect for him and not the usual drivel released at these times.

Two of my all time favourite films were The Fisher King and What Dreams May Come. They weren’t his most acclaimed films but ones that made me most aware of his talent.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbBgLQ1yfZk[/video]

Really great synopsis of his work.

househusband

🙁

Pretty much the first TV I can recall.

andyl
    Free Member

Such a shame. Loved his wackyness but he also played a scary bad guy. RIP

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mork and Mindy was required watching for a young Ming and then in my teenage years his standup video’s were side splitting, tears and struggling to breathe.

His ability to complete derail any interview was great to watch as well.

Funny man. RIP.

Shazbot indeed!

1981miked
    Free Member

“Mork & Mindy: In Mork We Trust (#1.21)” (1979)

Orson: The report, Mork.

Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.

Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?

Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn’t help very much because then he can hear paint dry.

Orson: Does bed rest help?

Mork: No because I’ve heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.

Orson: Do you have any idea why?

Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they’re told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they’re told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they’re very old, they’re told not to talk to themselves, who’s left?

Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?

Mork: No sir I’m saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they’re so busy looking out for number one that there’s not enough room for two.

Orson: It’s too bad everybody down there can’t get together and find a cure.

Mork: Here’s the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn’t need one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

RiIP RW. Funny man and great actor.

But 6 pages of news!?!? Some perspective please

noteeth
    Free Member

But 6 pages of news!?!?

It’s the [hyper-accelerated & hyper-convergent] 21st century, THM – even ISIS are tweeting about it.

Anyway, RIP funny guy & troubled soul.

kimbers

DezB
    Free Member

Sky1 has got Awakenings at 10pm. One of the very few films to bring a tear (or 2 ) to my eyes.

tinribz
    Free Member

Fisher King is on now sky channel 323 – Lyiiidia!

funkmasterp

Really liked his films and he seemed like a nice guy. He was great in death to smoochy. RIP Mr Williams

freeagent
    Free Member

I feel like I’ve grown up with Robin Williams – Mork and Mindy, Good morning Vietnam, Mrs Doubtfire, The Birdcage, Night at the Museum, etc.

Gutted.

Rip Robin.

Klunk
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

But 6 pages of news!?!? Some perspective please

meh… I don’t really wanna get into an argument on this thread, but that’s a mean spirited thing to say isn’t it?

The guy has touched the hearts and lifted the spirits of countless millions.. He was possibly a genius and genuinely seemed to love life and people with utter sincerity and determination..

far more newsworthy than the latest banking scam, celebrity divorce or reports from the frontline of some **** up warzone

maybe it’s YOU that needs to get some perspective

dknwhy

Sitting here listening to my little boy howling with laughter watching Mrs Doubtfire for the first time. Makes me smile 😀

Pook

Long copy and paste post. Don’t care.

Years ago I learned a very cool thing about Robin Williams, and I couldn’t watch a movie of his afterward without thinking of it. I never actually booked Robin Williams for an event, but I came close enough that his office sent over his rider. For those outside of the entertainment industry, a rider lists out an artist’s specific personal and technical needs for hosting them for an event- anything from bottled water and their green room to sound and lighting requirements. You can learn a lot about a person from their rider. This is where rocks bands list their requirement for green M&Ms (which is actually a surprisingly smart thing to do). This is also where a famous environmentalist requires a large gas-guzzling private jet to fly to the event city, but then requires an electric or hybrid car to take said environmentalist to the event venue when in view of the public.
    When I got Robin Williams’ rider, I was very surprised by what I found. He actually had a requirement that for every single event or film he did, the company hiring him also had to hire a certain number of homeless people and put them to work. I never watched a Robin Williams movie the same way after that. I’m sure that on his own time and with his own money, he was working with these people in need, but he’d also decided to use his clout as an entertainer to make sure that production companies and event planners also learned the value of giving people a chance to work their way back. I wonder how many production companies continued the practice into their next non-Robin Williams project, as well as how many people got a chance at a job and the pride of earning an income, even temporarily, from his actions. He was a great multiplier of his impact. Let’s hope that impact lives on without him. Thanks, Robin Williams- not just for laughs, but also for a cool example.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Thanks you Mr. Williams

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

When I got Robin Williams’ rider, I was very surprised by what I found. He actually had a requirement that for every single event or film he did, the company hiring him also had to hire a certain number of homeless people and put them to work

For some reason that doesn’t surprise me
    RIP again

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Robin Williams’ is closed to new replies.