Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Robert Rankin novels.
  • mtbmaff
    Free Member

I picked up 5 novels by Robert Rankin, The Brentford trilogy, funny, quirky humour very enjoyable so far.

A little like Carl Hiaasen?

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Very funny guy. I've read them loads of times.

The Armageddon series are also worth a read, they're a bit weird but very funny also. Characters include Elvis, The Dahli Dan and a time traveling brussel sprout called Barry.

ScotlandTheScared

I found that 'The hollow chocolate bunnies of the apocalypse' was great, although that could have been because I was stuck in the middle of Iceland on fieldwork and was going slightly mad… and the armageddon trilogy is great too – especially Barry.

Eccles
    Free Member

Brentford is awesome. I've got the original of one of his poems too. I inadvertently pinched it off him at a signing, I may send it back one day, if he agrees to give me a part in one of his books…

bassspine
    Free Member

brilliant. I've been rereading him recently. Particularly love the Brentford triangle books 😀

yunki
    Free Member

yeeeaaah… my mate keeps trying to persuade me to go and watch a Brentford footie match or join him on a guided tour of Brentford organised by the good folk at sproutlore

I'm not keen..
    the books are pretty amusing though I guess..

(I think I should probably add it's a ratio of 37654:1 the mate in question asks me to drink cider with him rather than go on strange fanboy conventions)

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Any of you guys read Carl Hiaasen? You won't be disappointed, they're just as funny and quirky.

Cougar

Big fan of RR, got all his books, including a couple of signed copies. One says "this is the first one of these I've ever signed" which is rather cool.

Couple of years back I went to a signing and at the end there was about half a dozen people left, he went "right, I'm off to the pub, who's coming?" and we ended up spending a couple of hours in the pub with Rankin, listening to him talk crap for a couple of hours.

Well worth going to see if you get the opportunity, very entertaining bloke.

cranberry
    Free Member

The explanation of his father's funeral had me crying tears of laughter. It was in the Sproutlore magazine, but I've lost my original copy. Would love to find/read it again.

Otto_Maddox
    Free Member

You just have to love Robert Rankin. It's a tradition or an old charter or something…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Robert Rankin novels.’ is closed to new replies.