Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Roadies… Why are they so cold?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

More clothing = more space for logos

meehaja
    Free Member

I was out yesterday on road bike, wearing 3/4 bib shorts, ss jersey and base layer. It was hot on the climbs, but pushing 30mph on the flat gives wind chill you know!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Although not always the case, people who are new to cycling often get the clothing wrong by dressing so they are comfortable outside the house…then boil on first climb.

I think dressing in autumn/spring can be tricky to get right as the range of conditions can vary so much during the day.

tracknicko
    Free Member

bit of wind chill will help to refrigerate that big head tho eh?

voodoo_chile

lot more upper body movement offroad than on roadbike

alex222
    Free Member

you have to dress for the last mile or so from the pub which is all downhill. meaning once you have cooled down you won’t get warm for this 5 minutes or so.

D0NK

I think dressing in autumn/spring can be tricky to get right as the range of conditions can vary so much during the day.

so true, and on a road ride I’d have to be quite uncomfortable (hot or cold) to stop and add/remove layers so just gently shiver or sweat.
    Roubaix arm and knee warmers have been my favourite bits of kit the last 12months or so.
    Morning commute 2deg but evening commute 20deg
    Nightride starts warm but cools down quickly
    appendage warmers – you know it makes sense
    😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

rocketman – Member

More clothing = more space for logos

and for roadies, it’s ALL about the logos; big is good, bigger is better. more is good, loads is better.

they’re basically chavs.

(winky smiley smiley winky)

andrewh
    Free Member

If you’re out on a long off road ride, you usually have a bag

Oh dear..

EDIT: Or by long road ride do you mean touring?

It’s only a long ride if you have to stop to sleep at some point.
    A tour is merely a series of short sprints

oldgit
    Free Member

Since this winter I’ve taken to using a newspaper again, still works a treat.

tracknicko
    Free Member

thank god its just a roady thing eh adam 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s still chilly out there you know. Despite those rather healthy temperatures last week when your are rattling along at an ave of 27mph you do get rather chilly sonny. I’m now in bib short, merino base layer, (well known brand from near Hoxton)’s sportwool short arm and (same brand) long sleeve jersey. I’ve been a bit chilly most recently changing to short legs again but riding I’ve been looking for climbs to warm me up.

MTB’s have always been a lot slower even rattling along flat sections so the wind chill is nowhere near the same as roadies encounter.
    I guess the nearest discipline is the Downhill lot who can plummet quite quickly.

crikey
    Free Member

rattling along at an ave of 27mph

Sure you are, Billy, sure you are…

oldgit
    Free Member

Here we go 😀

crikey
    Free Member

🙂

‘Billy’ was a name we applied to anyone who talked the talk but was strangely unable to back it up on the actual bike. It started off as ‘Eddy’, like Eddy Merckx, but became Billy after a trip to Ghent to watch the Ghent 6 in the company of a chap who was a reasonable junior rider and insisted that he was going to come back and spend a season racing in Belgium. While he smoked 20 odd fags in an evening…

We called him Billy Bullshit, World Champion, and it stuck.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh well, take it or leave it, your choice, just pointing out differences in wind chill.

“Billy”

Like whateva.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll leave it thanks, because you really aren’t doing an average of 27 mph, are you?

An average of 18 mph in an urban area is good going. I’ve done an average, door to door, of 20 mph over 70 miles when I was absolutely stinking fit and flying after a fortnight racing abroad, but 27 mph is only doable by broomstick.

MSP

because you really aren’t doing an average of 27 mph, are you?

Well of course he isn’t, everyone knows a proper bikeist would be doing 44 kmh!

starrman82
    Free Member

Easter Knees…….simple.. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Was a bit warm in the thermal tights this afternoon but would have frozen this morning, can always unzip a bit if you’re warm more difficult to do something if you’re cold though!

MountainMutant
    Free Member

The Darkside is strong.

Did my second sportive on Sunday (Essex Spring Lambs Sportive). 94 miles in 4hrs 42. 20mph average.

Did me proud to get 23rd overall and second overall in age group with Team Epping MTB over all the roadie teams 😉

MM

(oh but it’s not a race 😉 )

Lifer
    Free Member

What’s that got to do with temperature?

oldgit
    Free Member

Good going, I’ve still to do a 100km anywhere near that. Went out with a mixture of local clubs on Sunday, after almost bottling out due to the amount of 1st and 2nd cats in the session. Kept clearing the string of dribble away to see the speedo reading 26 -28mph on the dual carriage way fast sections. Then getting home to see it was only just 18mph average 😥 I thought is was going to be biblical.

hh45
    Free Member

1-10 deg full winter kit
    10-15 base, long sleeve top and long sleeve Jersey over that with shorts or tights depending on which end of the scale the temp is at.
    15+ shorts, base and short sleeve Jersey.

so what do you wear when it is below zero?

I find i tend to stay quite warm on my road bike as the effort is more constant whereas on mtb always stopping to chat, open gates and chat etc etc.

I am always amazed at how much kit a lot of cycle commuters wear. I can be in shorts and base layer and they are still bimbling about in waterproof trousers and jacket. We get something like 10 wet commutes a year in this London so very little need for the sweaty misery of Altura’s finest.

That said its a free world!

nick3216
    Free Member

I am always amazed at how much kit a lot of cycle commuters wear. I can be in shorts and base layer and they are still bimbling about in waterproof trousers and jacket.

The key word is bimbling. Getting up to a decent pace (and unlike sportives commutes are races, you versus every other commuter) generates a fair bit of internal heat. ‘s why you boil as soon as ou stop anywhere sheltered.

andrewh
    Free Member

I averaged 25.64mph on Sunday 😀 And yes, that was quite cold!
    It was a time-trial though, fairly sure I couldn’t do that on a long ride….
    I was colder on Saturday though, out on the MTB. Why has no-one raised the issue of altitude and the fact that on an MTB I tend to go up bigger hills to more exposed places than I do on a road bike? I was wrapped up well then, but rode the TT in shorts (well, short-legged skinsuit, most flattering)

colournoise

Depends on the individual too surely?

Very rarely ride (MTB – don’t do ‘road’) in more than baggies, base layer and short-sleeve jersey at any time of the year – riding in the snow in February I did have a shell with me but it stayed in the bag until I stopped riding.

Surely wear what you’re personally going to be comfortable in and not worry about what other people are doing?

slainte ➡ rob

deepo
    Free Member

For every 10mile an hour you go you drop a degree in air temperature I’m sure I read somewhere.

weeksy

I averaged 2.1mph this weekend 🙁

Although i have just realised my last split was 5 hours 50 and 0m travelled. LOL

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Roadies… Why are they so cold?’ is closed to new replies.