Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Roadies, which saddle bag?
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

I need to carry two tubes, tyre levers, multi-tool, C02 inflator, phone, cash and card and a (small) waterproof. Are there any saddle bag recommendations that will fit this? I’m guessing there must be, given the number of roadies out there!! Anything else I should be thinking of carrying? I only picked up my road bike yesterday!!

Thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

jersey pockets are there for a reason

mrmo
    Free Member

honestly i can get all that in the jersey pockets, waterproof is only carried if i am uncertain about the weather. If you do want to carry tools on the bike, what is your seatpost and saddle? i would be wary about saddle bags and carbon posts.

The cheapest solution you could use is a chopped waterbottle, take bottle cut top off and bits go inside. You can get proper bottles to do the same thing.

cozz
    Free Member

id get a topeak saddle pod

and only carry one tube and a couple of patches

bottles for tools are good and cheap at decathlon

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use the Topeak ones, don’t like having all that stuff in my jersey pockets to be fair

LS
    Free Member

Tube, gas canister, tyre lever and small multi-tool fit inside an extra-small Fizik seatpack. I stick everything else in my pockets.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

I don;t have a decent roadie jersey, yet. But on my first roadie outing my bum bag rubbed quite a bit, so i’m thinking a saddle bag would be the best bet. Its an alu frame with a carbon wrapped seatpost.

Thanks

topangarider
    Free Member

I use a really small fizik one; 1 tube, multitool, patches, levers, tiny 5cm square rag and a fiver folded up. I only carry a waterproof if I think i’ll defo need it – in my pocket. Food etc in the jersey pockets. This is pretty much the same for our entire roadie club. Water bottle tool carriers are ok, but not much cop in the summer when going on a 100 mile ride when 2 bottles with liquid is a must.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I use the Topeak ones. Got one fitted to each of my road bikes, along with a bottle cage mounted pump, to make sure I always have the spares I need on a ride

rusty90
    Free Member

Saddle bag ? You young whipper-snappers wouldn’t recognise a proper saddle bag if a CTC veteran hit you over the head with it.

Carradice Nelson long flap – just what you need for a 2 week youth hostelling tour of Devon and Cornwall.

simondbarnes

I’d use jersey pockets if that’s all you want to carry to be honest.

Bez

I use a Cannondale Seedpod (small version – stays put and is rattle-free) and an Agu Iso (one size, bit bigger than the Seedpod) with the Kilckfix bracket so they’re easily swappable between bikes and have no straps to catch on your shorts and eat holes in them. Prefer to keep my jersey pockets for food (plus using a saddle bag means just leaving all the essentials on the bike instead of having to worry about finding them all before a ride and taking them all out again afterwards).

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use a smallish Topeak bag to carry a couple of tubes, CO2 inflator and cartridges and a small multi tool. Waterproof or windproof goes in jersey pocket. Like Bez says you know the essentials are always on the bike and leaves the jersey pockets for food and phone.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Saddle bag on a road bike!? 🙂

Rule #29 / No European Posterior Man-Satchels.
    Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
    😉

Seriously though, I carry more than the OP in jersey pockets….

wingnuts

Pockets on a jersey are for food and sunglasses, arm warmers and a phone or cash at a stretch. Spares are carried in the mechanics (wife’s) car that should be following 100m behind.

edhornby

tools in the jersey pocket = small metal objects to land on if you crash

tubes and waterproof in the pockets are ok though

other things you should have toolwise are chain tool and some quick links

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member
    Haze

Lezyne Micro Caddy is pretty tidy – just about big enough for a tube, levers, chain tool and tiny CO2 pump.

Leaves a bit more room in your jersey pockets if you need to carry a waterproof, arm warmers etc.

jonb
    Free Member

Topeak for me. Don’t want hard lumpy things in my pocket incase I crash.
    As I’m not a pro I need to carry stuff somewhere and a small saddle bag seems fine.

People who only put stuff in there jersey pockets must be fair weather short distance only riders 😉

AlasdairMc

I’ve got the smallest Ortlieb one, and it takes a tube (700×35 for CX tyres), wallet, iPhone, multitool, patch kit and tyre levers. Pump on the bike and all food and a waterproof in my jersey.

captain-slow
    Free Member

I have three of these – one of each size – mounting system makes them interchangeable between bikes so can decide ride by ride how much luggage space I need

creak2peak

sheffield43
    Free Member

I use a Topeak for tools, phone, keys etc – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-aero-wedge-buckle-medium-saddle-bag/ Prefer this strap style to their clip-on ones as I’ve found the clip becomes less effective over time.

Personally would only use jersey pockets for lightweight waterproof if I’m taking one and the odd bit of food.

FuzzyWuzzy

phone, waterproof and food in jersey pockets rest in a saddle bag for me. Just switched to a Lezyne caddy (medium) as it’s a lot narrower than my old Specialized one so doesn’t catch my shorts – can only get 1 tube in it though (not that I’m planning on snapping any more valves…)

winston_dog
    Free Member

I use a Lezeyne saddle pack, 2 tubes, multi tool, levers, phone and cash.
    Windproof or waterproof in jersey pockets.

Multi tools can be a bit bit nasty if you fall on one in your pocket.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Roadies, which saddle bag?’ is closed to new replies.