Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Roadies take note.
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks like he’s gone viral.

butcher

Now, i’m notgoing to argue he shouldn’t be where he is, or he’s doing anything wrong. just that i’d be on the quiet, car free road.

Oh, me too. But I think we should walk cycle in another man’s shoes and all that. I’ve been reading loads of touring books lately, and the roads that people get themselves on to, quite reluctantly, sound terrifying. Reading one at the moment and their only option was to get the train to bypass some roads. It’s all risk management, isn’t it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s all risk management, isn’t it.

I think they need to touch base.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s roughly where he passed the cyclist http://goo.gl/maps/dxr2I . I have to admit, having checked the junctions on that side road, despite this bit http://goo.gl/maps/Vju68 which is a bit dodgy, I would choose to use the side road. The OP is still a bit of a knob though.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Its a 50 zone. But its the A3, few stick to 50. Would I ride it? No **** way. In all the years I have been driving on that road I have never seen anyone stupid enough to ride a bike on it.

The law says that I can climb Snowdon in January in shorts and a T shirt, but I wouldn’t do it.

Because this is a cycling forum (a militant cycling forum if the likes of TJ and Cynic Al were to have their way) you want to encourage people to blindly follow the law rather than common sense. Great idea…

cynic-al
    Free Member

you want to encourage people to blindly follow the law rather than common sense. Great idea…

Are you saying I have done this?

Could people please read what I write and try to understand it. It’s not the above at all. It is a different take on the situation that focuses on cyclists rights and drivers’ duties. Bottom line is the cyclist has a right on law to be on that road…but the majority think he shouldn’t be because drivers’ seem to have a right to drive dangerously.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

It’s Alan Partridge on a motorbike. Is it his new tv programme idea? Alan’s guide to city biking?

Solo
    Free Member

😯

butcher

It’s all about perceptions really. I’m sure most of us here wouldn’t cycle on something like the A3. Not without good reason anyway. And the majority of us driving past would think brave / nutter / stupid / etc. But I’d like to think most of us would give them plenty of room and hope they make their journey safely.

The fact is. Much of the population think cyclists using the roads, any road, are suicidal. Doesn’t matter if you’re on the A3 or the B666. So they’ll do exactly the same as that guy and and self-righteously toot their horn, expressing their feelings for your presence. Making it known that you’re not welcome. And it feeds their own reasoning that they have more right to be there. That if you’re knocked over it’ll be your own fault. It’s all relative. And that’s exactly what’s being expressed here.

Avoid major routes by all means. But accept that there are others who occasionally need to use them. It’s a motorists job to watch out for vulnerable road users. Not to bully them.

Sandwich

As is filtering riding like a cock within the markings at a crossing that prohibit doing so

Man up. Thats filtering.

Check rule 165 of the Highway Code there is a MUST (their emphasis) in there, prohibiting his behaviour.

There are an incredible amount of idiots on the road who don’t know this, try not to be one of them.

warton
    Free Member

The guys going for a Strava KOM for gods sake, give him a break.

rootes1

roadies on the A3 does happen.

I came up onto the A3 at Ripley/Send and was in the lane to get to the M25 was in the dark during rush hour.. was a roadie in that lane.. he had a very bright light but still would not catch me on that part of the A3 whether you are allowed on it or not.

video though- comedy – ‘you have a face like an apple’ actually the commentary was funny – shows the how to full the dullness of the commute – should be a radio DJ taliking like that

duirdh
    Free Member

Done thousands of road miles on the A8, A80, A82 and A1, what’s the problem? Sounds like the OPs scared to ride a road bike at all never mind on an A road.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I would honestly rather cycle on the m1 than that stretch of the a3.
    Narrow lanes, no hard shoulder, bad lighting, lots of trucks, fast traffic etc.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Roadbikes are the work of the devil and the scourge of mankind.

kenino25
    Free Member

Done thousands of road miles on the A8, A80, A82 and A1, what’s the problem?

The problem is that the A3 is not the A8, A80, A82 or the A1. Just because it’s an A road, it doesn’t mean it’s the same thing.

I’ve ridden from Edinburgh to London, used 50 or so A roads and they’re not all the same. The scariest/most stupid thing I did was riding down the hard shoulder on the A14 for a junction. Where that cyclist is on the A3 is arguably more dangerous.

Firstly, that stretch of road is a 50 limit. People don’t do 50 down there. It’s more like 60. If you’re a good cyclist, you can probably average 20mph. That’s still a speed differential of 40mph… on a road that for 99.9% of the time doesn’t have cyclists. How do I know? I commute into London by motorcycle along the A3 and I have never seen a cyclist on there.

It really is like crossing a dual carriage way on foot because the subway is a bit further to walk to.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Oh how I’d love to live there all the traffic and pricks on Motorbikes and pimped up cars and all the shit that goes on man it looks RAD

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

What a tosser.

duirdh
    Free Member

You’ve never crossed a dual carriageway by foot? What about train tracks? Or have you had absolutely no sense of adventure your entire life?

FYI all the A roads I mentioned riding have their fair share of 70mph limit dual carriageway with no hard shoulder and are the main route into each City from that particular direction otherwise I wouldn’t have deemed it even vaguely relivent.

Davesport

Roadbikes are the work of the devil and the scourge of mankind.

Makes note that nobody’s disagreed with this 😆

kenino25
    Free Member

You’ve never crossed a dual carriageway by foot? What about train tracks? Or have you had absolutely no sense of adventure your entire life?

FYI all the A roads I mentioned riding have their fair share of 70mph limit dual carriageway with no hard shoulder and are the main route into each City from that particular direction otherwise I wouldn’t have deemed it even vaguely relivent.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. The reference to the dual carriageway and subway was attempting to liken his use of the A3 instead of a safer option which is a minor inconvenience to get to.

Also FYI, your A roads (as you’ve stated) are dual carriageways. This section of the A3 is 3 lanes and pretty damn tight. As a driver of a car you’re having to concentrate to keep it within the lines.

Here’s the streetview.
    http://goo.gl/maps/9Ry1J

It really isn’t a sensible place to cycle. Its causes a danger to yourself and other road users. Feel free to disagree with me if you have experience of that particular stretch of road.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Roadies take note.’ is closed to new replies.