Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • roadies! saddle bag or jersey pockets?
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

Well if that’s the rule then I’ll make sure I’m wearing the Camelbak the next time I’m on the road bike. Rules are there to be broken 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Both – saddle bag is only big enough to carry road tube so the rest goes in my pockets. Not found a perfect solution for carrying stuff in winter though as my windproof top only has a small pocket which means no room for my waterproof.

cp

can’t stand anything heavy or rattly in my back pocket, so phone, tool, co2 pump, tube, gels in the seat pack. the odd gel and poss buttie in jersey pocket.

nickc

Hmmmm, I think sometimes we think we need to carry more stuff than we actually have to sometimes, a windproof and a waterproof? a chain splitter? really? Before I ride I know there are no mechanical defects on my bike; so no worn cables, no splits in the tyre, correct pressure, no worn out chains or chain rings. I carry the smallest multi tool I can, mostly if I need to adjust something rather than try to repair something. pump on the bottle cage, one tube, and a couple of patches, a tyre lever, and a Co2 bottle, all goes into a bag, and into a pocket, phone/music in the other, and food in the other other. This time of year, I ride in a softshell anyway so I’ll stay warm even when soaked through.

watch as next week I’m plagued by punctures, my chain twists, and it rains so much I drown…. 😆

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think i’m breaking every “rule” there is. Triple chainset, frame fit pump, pannier rack and bar bag mount, baggy shorts, full length mudguards, often take a camelback, lights, bell, spoke reflectors etc..

I rarely put stuff in jersey pockets. I either take such a small amount of stuff it fits in my baggy short pockets, or i’ve got the pannier or bar bag attached.

traildog
    Free Member

Both for me. Food must be in back pocket as you cannot open the saddle bag when riding along.

clunker

Old school way… old water bottle with the lid cut off.

grievoustim
    Free Member

small pre-packed saddle bag (the little topeak one) – contains multi tool, chain tool, 2 x spare tubes, spare chain links and a tiny, weeny patch kit.

frame fit pump – means I can get my tyres up to “proper” pressure if I need to, and I only use c02 when racing

food, money, phone, keys, waterproof/ gillet in pockets.

I frequently do early start rides – and I find trying to remember everything I need and cram it in my pockets a real pain and faff first thing. Plus the saddle bag is small, stuffed to the gills so it doesn’t rattle, and doubles as place to attach to a rear light – so I don’t have to fit an ugly plastic bracket thing

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pockets for eatables, seat pack for fixables

tonyd

Pockets.

McMoonter, call me picky but that appears to be a mountain bike (OP was to roadies) with not only a saddle bag the size of a small suitcase, but a mudguard? WTF!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McMoonter, call me picky but that appears to be a mountain bike (OP was to roadies) with not only a saddle bag the size of a small suitcase, but a mudguard? WTF!

Its the only pic I had of my seatpack. It just happened to be on my mountainbike at the time.

13thfloormonk

It was with the addition of Ortlieb’s biggest 2.7litre saddlebag to the road bike that I realised I was never going to be a pure roadie, however I probably have the fastest tourer on the road, and can stay out for days at a time (assuming there are some hostels en-route).

If i’m just out for the day, I just use pockets, I had a lezyne saddle bag which rattled and came loose once too many times, couldn’t be bothered trying any others although the smallest Ortliebs look quite neat.

Kuco

I lost my saddle pack the other day, strap must have broke 😥 Never felt or heard anything hit/fall. In 25 years of road riding it’s the first time it’s ever happened.

lost

mini pump
    spare tube x2
    mini tool with chain breaker (having had a long walk once because of no chain breaker never again)
    patches
    tyre levers
    air canisters
    spare joining pins

Will all be replaced, hate having pockets stuffed full of stuff plus like others have said if it’s on the bike its ready to go.

mlke
    Free Member

My road bike has a Caradice Saddle bag – off of the ’50s.
    Maybe 30+ litres size and unfashionable enough to make it unstealable.

It’s ace. I had a boxed printer for my PC stuffed in it the other weekend. That wouldn’t have fitted in pockets.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Camelbak.

fontmoss
    Free Member

don’t like wearing camelbaks even on mtb

hmm tiny saddle bag looks ok but anything approaching medium looks terrible imho

i could do with a zipped rear pocket i think

ratherbeintobago

TBH you can get a surprising about of gear in your pockets, and very often I go out on my MTB only with stuff in my (road) jersey pockets & a bottle (a Camelbak seems overkill for <2-3h rides)

Having said that, I don’t particularly like having CO2 cartridges right next to my kidneys; at least in a saddle bag there is the saddle & some distance between me & them…

Andy

jonb
    Free Member

clunker – Member

Old school way… old water bottle with the lid cut off.

Do you not drink, stop a lot or not ride very far?

bellerophon
    Free Member

Saddle bag with:

1 x tube
    2 x tyre levers
    1 x ChainTool as you can see also has two allen keys
    2 x sram powerlink
    1 x pack of Park Tool super patches (in case I get more than one puncture)

pump on frame next to waterbottle

Am I missing anything?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

saddlebag – as small as poss (Fizik)
    Leyzyne pump on frame
    Pockets for food and cape

simples innit

(camelbak when on road bike is just wrong)

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be honest I have a saddle bag on my roadie, 2 tubes, little multi tool, tyre levers, patches and glue, and a mini pump on the frame.

I like riding with one on my SS MTB too, it has a tube, some stick on patches, a tyre lever and a 4mm & 5mm allen key. Pump goes next to the bottle cage – so much better on short rides than a camel pack.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Pockets.

Saddle bags are the sign of someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing and are often accompanied by brake levers pointing to the sky, a compact or triple and 27T+ cassettes.

simondbarnes

Pockets.
    Food in the left, tubes, tool, jacket/gilet in middle, keys, mp3 player, armwarmers in right. Sometimes have a camera in there somewhere as well.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member
    Pockets.

Saddle bags are the sign of someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing and are often accompanied by brake levers pointing to the sky, a compact or triple and 27T+ cassettes.

?

what if you are doing an 80 mile traing ride, no cafe stop and need to carry cape, armwarmers, enough food for ride and wallet. Easy if you have 3 pockets. Not so easy if you’ve filled them up with tubes, tools , patches etc etc. A small seatpack(if you prefer) that is packed and doesnt rattle, with a good pump on frame. Sounds like sense to me.

TOOL
    Free Member

Pockets for a quick ride & Camelbak for days out.
    Keep everything in an Cannondale MP3 player pouch ( can’t remember where i got it but it’s a good size 70mm x 80mm x 40mm ) i can get Woodie tool,levers,patches,links,chain splitter, tie wraps,£10 note,latex gloves in it,were everything lives. Generally take a Power Pump & a spare tube then just transfer it to my Camelbak as & when.

GJP
    Free Member

I use a small fanny pack 🙄

An unusual approach, and must contravene the Rules, but no-one has ever remarked upon it.

druidh
    Free Member

Saddlebag. Sometimes one of those little Top-tube Tri-bags too.

Not only do I hate having pockets overloaded, I like the idea that all of the essentials are in the saddlebag so I don’t end up half-way around some ride without a tube or tyre levers.

Oh – and I don’t give a flying **** what other cyclists think I look like as I overtake them.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I like riding with one on my SS MTB too, it has a tube, some stick on patches, a tyre lever and a 4mm, 5mm allen key. Pump goes next to the bottle cage – so much better on short rides than a camel pack.

Apart from monty rides say in the Cheviots, that’s how I ride my MTB now, no need for the kitchen sink

Saddle bags are the sign of someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing …

What a load of rubbish

jamesb
    Free Member

Large ortlieb 2l saddle bag with 2 x tubes, 1 x windproof jacket, 1 x puncture repair kit, bit of old tyre, a few zipties, multitool, wallet with id in it,mobile phone, a couple of emergency gels; plenty of space for all this. In pockets maybe a couple more gels and a gilet. Just hate overloading pockets; 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Saddle bags are the sign of someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing …

What a load of rubbish

I think that was an attempt at trolling 😉

bellerophon
    Free Member

I think that was an attempt at trolling

😳 😳 usually I don’t bite, but a while ago someone else made a comment that the rider was a beginner because of saddle bag and frame fit pump in a picture, oh well, back under my stone I go…

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘roadies! saddle bag or jersey pockets?’ is closed to new replies.