Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • roadies riding side by side
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I don’t mind cyclists riding two abreast, it when they ride more than two abreast and are strewn across the road like a local club by me, (Rhos Cycling Club) quite militant towards other road users, they are bunched up using the whole carriage way, they get annoyed if anyone beeps at them yet have total disregard for traffic entering roundabouts at full belt like their on a closed road, often encounter them on their Tuesday night chain gang, seems they’ve lost the meaning of chain. Not a good advert for cyclists.

GW
    Free Member

^^ sound just like ERC round this way

DavidB
    Free Member

You have to ride in a manor that’s safe for you.

**** me there’s some rick folk on here these days?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

opps, manner. 😳

fontmoss
    Free Member

Lots of roadies out near us yesterday and great to see. Including long chains of club cyclists. On the whole cyclists and motorists behaved very well and with due consideration.several times, I came behind two abreast cyclists and slowed to wait for opportunity to pass. They then moved into single file and I went past at the corre t time giving them ample space. As others have said, basic common sense from everyone involved. Of course there were also examples of equally militant cyclists and motorists both blinkered, both inconsiderate and both dangerous.

Can we leave this as the last word and close the thread?!

ahwiles
    Free Member

ahmen.

(lovely day yesterday, my girlfriend ‘bagged’ her first QOM, i’m so proud 🙂 )

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Our club rides two abreast. Our club rides in singles.

Depends on the road width and how busy it is.

Simple innit.

wagenwheel
    continuity
    Free Member

Legally you must overtake cyclists in the same manner you overtake cars; i.e. entirely in the opposite lane. Therefore, two abreast makes it easier for you to overtake as you do not have to be in the opposite lane for as long a time.

Clues. You have none. I suggest the clue shops.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Never really ridden in a group before, but last week me and a friend were heading up Cragg Vale (longest continuous road climb in England) and came up behind a group of six or so riders.
    Tagged on behind them as i didn’t quite have the legs to get past them cleanly on that hill, and started chatting with them as we rode.
    Two things struck me – 1) how much easier it felt to tackle that hill in a group even though we weren’t going fast & 2) how much safer it felt being passed when riding in a small group riding 2-up.

Stuff the thick and willfully ignorant, it’s my road too.

whytetrash

FlippinHeckler…I’ll have a word, know some of the Rhos lads

I ride road and off road with the VC Melyd lads, 2 abreast is deemed safer (and far more sociable) generally but we always single out when a car comes up behind and wave them through

gels in hedges…hmmm Dyfi was littered yesterday so can’t claim the high ground really 🙁

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Never had an issue with this before but on the way to Hopton Woods yesterday got stuck in a 40+ car tailback for 20 minutes traveling at 9-25 mph on open road. Group of about twenty riders riding two abreast spread out over 30-40 metres or so…….there was a large articulated lorry caught behind them who had no chance of passing ……even I started getting a little twitchy…can’t imagine what the other (non cycling) drivers around me were feeling! We passed several parking bays but the cyclists showed no intention of pulling over even as they crawled up inclines causing stop start in the traffic behind….can only assume this was some kind of organised race otherwise these were the most selfish bastards imaginable…..will assume the former as the only reasonable explanation.

However, for non organised rides where there is no race clock, I would expect any sensible adult cyclist to behave as I would in either car or on bike……If I’m in a slow car/towing etc or taking a (rare) road spin on the open road I will pull over to let other road users through when things build up noticeably behind me and/or there’s no safe opportunity for others to pass…..think road cyclists should have a little more awareness in these situations and let traffic through too. No one has to pull over car or cyclist wise, but there is a thing called goodwill that should transcend the letter of the law. The “stuff you” mentality…well, 🙄

singlecrack
    Free Member

A bit of common sense on both parts would be good ……..
    prob asking a bit much though I suppose.. 😐

matt500
    Free Member

kiwifizz. Exactly my point. Thank you. Goodwill and courtesy go a long way on both sides. Matt500 the proud Troll.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Stuff the thick and willfully ignorant, it’s my road too.

it’s you who are ignorant (of the law) 🙄

As subjects of the queen horse riders, pedestrians, cyclists have the god given inalienable right (HRH is head of the COE) to ride/cycle/walk on the queens highway.
    motorists are merely licensed, this privilege is discretionary and may be revoked at any time.

so you have more rights to the road than a car driver. 😆

mooman
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    Here, in Spain, the roadies are rather miltant about it, they occupy their bit of road and wont move over, no matter how far the traffic builds up behind them. I understand why they do it but it some take it too far. On saturday i saw a group of about 5 strung across their lane, the vehicle immediately behind them was an ambulance with it’s lights flashing, stupid pricks could have at least let them go past.

Just came back from over there. Cannot remember seeing one such cyclist doing anything similar.
    One thing that did stand out – was we never once got tossers in cars shouting or beeping their horns at us .. and they gave us plenty of room when they overtook.

Mackem

Maybe its a Basque thing then.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

FlippinHeckler…I’ll have a word, know some of the Rhos lads

Doubt they will listen or take to kindly to anyone having a word.

I know a few of them also, rode with them once and was shocked when they chased down a car and one of them nearly ripped the guys head off, the guy was in the wrong but reaction of said cyclist was extreme. Its worrying when other people who are none cyclists also comment, one said person has just become a Councillor and he really has a bee in his bonnet about the Rhos lot. It bewilders me why they are so inconsiderate because of the fatal crash involving Rhyl cycling Club you would think safety would be paramount. I often go out with a group of six or more we hardly ever ride two abreast and mostly single file taking it in turns on the front.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What’s a road bike?

lightman
    Free Member

GW – Member

^^ sound just like ERC round this way

That’s a bit of a clueless reply considering the ERC only have one organised chaingang on a Saturday and is a beginners run.
    There is a reason the faster chaingangs sometimes get referred to as “The black train of death“, and the last time i looked, the ERC kit is mainly red!
    Maybe you should actually go out on one and see for yourself who the main clubs are!

rmacattack
    Free Member

I’m all for people that like to cycle on the road, but there is pricks out there. You always get a group that take up a whole lane and no matter what, on bends or anything will never fall into single file. Even on small roads with a 2 mile tail back, they look around as if the motorist should not be on the same road as them. If u wanna cycle on the road you gotta remember who will come out top.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘roadies riding side by side’ is closed to new replies.