Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadies – my friend needs London to Brighton advice ASAP!
  • Normy
    Free Member

Will I get beaten up for mentioning roadies?

Anyway, a mentality of mine, who has no bike experience either mtb or road, has agreed to do the London to Brighton . In two months time lol.

I’ve told him he’s a looney but fair play to him, he’s up for it. He is fairly fit, he runs a lot.

Anyway, he needs to practice. And needs a bike ASAP! He only really ideally wants to spend around £300 … Is this feasible? Top price £400. Second hand is fine obviously. Advice please!!!!!

Normy
    Free Member

Mentality??? Lol meant mental friend

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

work colleague is doing it on his chopper, I just rebuilt for him and he’s a fatty

stimpy
    Free Member

He’ll be fine. Is this the BHF ride? London to Brighton is not a hard ride, either MTB or road. Not a big distance and no technical stuff. Second hand hardtail for that money no problems. Plenty on classifieds here.

Paceman
    Free Member

He’ll be fine, there are thousands of riders who do the London to Brighton every year with similar or worse preparation… plenty of them walking up the hills 😐

stimpy
    Free Member

I’ve seen someone do it on a shopper with a wicker basket on the front FFS. And that was the off-road route, too.

Folk regularly do it on rigid hardtails or CX bikes.

feisty
    Free Member

He will be fine, I did it many moons ago after not riding for 2+ years with no training along with two non-riding friends (again no training) we all finished without issue. If he runs he will be fine, slightly different muscles but he has the cardio training for it

I would say to get a mtb with some slicks he then has a more flexible ride for future use, get looking on ebay or this here for sale section for a good deal. If he is only using it for this one ride I am sure a mate or work colleague has a loaner bike he can borrow?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at merlincycles. They have a nice enough entry level road bike for not much more than £325ish.

stimpy
    Free Member

Bike choice – if it’s road then the default £300 advice is the Decathlon Triban.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Leave at 5am to avoid the nodders and not to have to get off up the hills because of all the people walking.
    or just do it on another day to avoid the nodders and their random changes of direction and lack of bike sense..
    Oh? 😳

kcr
    Free Member

Pedal For Scotland is a similar distance, and a five year old completed that on his Islabike:
    http://bicycle-touring.blogspot.co.uk/2008/09/five-year-old-completes-55-mile-pedal.html?m=1
    As above, I doubt your mate needs any special prep or a particular bike, if he is healthy and moderately fit.

Normy
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys…. I might join him on my zesty in thAt case then!!!!

stufield
    Free Member

last time i did it i had a guy dressed as austin powers overtake me on a chopper

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – my friend needs London to Brighton advice ASAP!’ is closed to new replies.