Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadies – Campag brakes – OK?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Campag brakes are way cheaper than Shimano, and I can get the latter at trade!

Are there any draw-backs?

soulboy
    Free Member

Campagnolo dual pivot brakes work superbly. They are easy to modulate and have all the power you need (the limiting factor being tyre grip, rather than brake power, unlike the Delta calipers that preceded them). They are not the lightest brakes around, but not especially heavy either: unless you’re a weight weenie this needn’t be a great concern. I have used the Record dual pivots since they came out in the 1990s and remain delighted with them. The finish is excellent, they look great and they are completely user serviceable. You’ll need levers with a release built-in to enable the tyre to clear the pads when removing the wheel as there’s none on the caliper.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye I agree, far outclasses that Japanese stuff.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I removed my record ones and fitted somthing lighter (frm cl2 )
    But don’t have the power I had before
    Think I will go back to campy ones

Richie_B

You’ll need levers with a release built-in to enable the tyre to clear the pads when removing the wheel as there’s none on the caliper

This

I’ve always found that the tyres letting go is the limiting factor on braking a road bike rather than the power of the calipers

Blackhound

Only drawback that I have found is that they do not do a long drop version if you run mudguards on your bike. I have Campag Centaur on my summer bike but on my winter bike I had to have Tektro. (Did not want to mix Campag & Shimano on one bike)

mrmo
    Free Member

Only thing to be aware of, the top end skeleton brakes are single pivot on the back not dual pivot. Saves weight but not quite as much power.

tonyd

I’ve got some 2008ish Chorus on my road bike, the skeleton ones, and they’re fine. No issues riding year round.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. Looking at some low end ones from CRC.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’m selling these (unused) – click!

email simonbowns@me.com if you’re interested?

Si

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

My centaur brakes with stock pads brake better than my sram and tektro calipers with swissstop green and koolstop pads. I think it’s because the calipers are a lot stiffer (and therefore heavier…)

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Rogan Josh – Member

Ye I agree, far outclasses that Japanese stuff.

You do know most Campag stuff bar Record and Super Record is made in Romania these days… not saying thats any better/worse than Japanese stuff, just makes me smile to think that people still assume Athena and Centaur stuff is cobbled together in Vicenza by some gnarled old Italian who remembers building frames for Coppi as a youngster…

Ultegra are by far the best brakes I have ever used too.

jkomo

I have the bottom of the range Mirage, brakes are mega.
    Rear wheel lock up is a problem, and I’ve had it up on the front wheel at speed.
    Proper scary.
    Obviously this indicates not only the effectiveness of the brakes, but the lack of any skill on my part.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – Campag brakes – OK?’ is closed to new replies.