Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)
  • Roadies and team kit
  • tiger_roach
    Free Member

I get told off for not wearing a club jersey on my club rides – I dislike fitting in.

clubber
    Free Member

I don't think that the snobs ever mind club kit – that's acceptable.

While I'll admit to a quiet chuckle to myself if I see someone kitted out in full Lance kit with matching bike, helmet, etc who is crawling along, I'll also still say hello and frankly it's better that they're out on a bike than not. The scenario (as many who've worked in bike shops will have experienced) is that someone buys their first proper road bike and wants some kit so logically buys whatever decent looking team kit the shop sells – particularly if it matches the bike's brand. Nothing wrong with that really, is there?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

MTB clothes aren't peppered with corporate logos

Never been to an XC race then?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

I know we're such terrible snobs, but it's nice that the peasants identify themselves for us.

wool

Nothing wrong with using team kit, not my bag but if it motivates you to get on your bike then good the more bikes on the road the better. It's not affecting you or detracting from your enjoyment we are all different!

finbar
    Free Member

I know we're such terrible snobs, but it's nice that the peasants identify themselves for us

Exactly. Three or four years ago, if someone was wearing full Discovery kit you knew not to get anywhere near them because chances are they had no sense.

Not sure what the current equivalent is, maybe Cervelo, or Team Sky in a month or two?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

MTB clothes aren't peppered with corporate logos

Never been to an XC race then?

Oh yes, once…they are actual sponsored athletes though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I often wear a ben and jerries jersey, where does this fit into the scheme of things.

On the on hand it maks me as a corperate whore for wearing a companies logo all over my top.

On the other hand, Ben and Jerries don't have a race team?

I'm confused.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I've just ordered some team road jerseys. I'll mainly wear then to ride to work and maybe even for mountain biking. I bought them because I like the look of them and they were cheap.

I'm guessing most people buy team kit and "all the gear" because they are really into biking regardless of how good they are. Not a problem for me.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I often wear a ben and jerries jersey, where does this fit into the scheme of things.

It puts you up there with people who wear Marmite / Whiskey / Real Ale jerseys.

Make of that what you will.

warton
    Free Member

wear national chanpions jerseys. the Italian one is lovely

crikey
    Free Member

There is a peculiarly British slant to all this, which stems from the history of cycling in this country, and one which is expressed even in mountain biking.

Wearing continental trade team tops in the days when all 'proper' cyclists rode for clubs marked you out as a loner, a newbie, and not part of the gang. There are different levels to the problem though; it's seen as acceptable, even fashionable, to wear kit from some obscure Belgian bike shop team; I saw someone wearing a hat from Plum Vanquers the other day, yet wearing a Sky jersey suggests to some that you might not be that knowledgeable.

It's the same as buying a Specialized bike; you get a sense that some might look down on you because it's not made by a man in a shed in BC.

It's like using Mavic factory wheels instead of Open Pro/Ultegra made by some greasy aproned artisan who once applied chamois cream for the brother of a man who was a semi pro.

It's part of being a cyclist in the UK, and it's funny that people take it so seriously. Ultimately it's similar to that 'I've been into them for years' thing about bands; as soon as everyone likes them, the cognoscenti drop them like a stone.

I've been droppped by a man in a parka wearing trainers while on a chaingang; its all good..

RustySpanner

I usually wear either a Stiff Little Fingers sweatshirt, a Che Guevara t-shirt or a Decathlon cycling top whilst on the road bike.

I've never been in a Northern Irish Punk band nor have I been an armed revolutionary. The last time I tried the hurdles I nearly broke one.

I do like winding up snobs though, and teamed with an Alpkit rucksack and ancient Shimano MTB boots, I find it does the trick perfectly. 😀

rkk01
    Free Member

I reckon crikey sums that up pretty well.

Never had the time / commitment to join a club because of my line of work.

Not overly keen on manufacturer / team tops, but like my Marmite, Ardbeg and event tops…

… Got to wear something on the bike after all.

(Quite liked the Morvelo tops I saw at MM, but was keeping a tight reign on the wallet)

Dougal
    Free Member

Few crackers I see quite often near me:

– Guy who wears full Euskadel kit, including the matching Orbea bike.
    – Older guy who wears full Bettenni World Champs kit. Socks, shoes, helmet, the works.
    – Rather large gentleman in full Liquigas kit, with the matching Cannondale. Belly nearly touches to TT.

Always amuses me, but apart from the World Champs kit, doesn't annoy me. National or World Champs kit has to be earned.

RealMan
    Free Member

What do you think of this then..

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

So can I wear team kit on a single speed, with 3/4 length baggies, whilst using a mary bar with bar ends? Or only with interesting facial hair, whilst sipping a 3000 year old malt from an antique hip flask?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I suppose if it makes riding on a road seem more exciting then fair play to them

RealMan
    Free Member

whilst using a mary bar with bar ends

I don't think you're allowed to do anything if you're doing that.

crikey
    Free Member

I've got this, but I suspect wearing it might be a bit too retro trendy, and I would need a pair of my sisters jeans to complete the look..

ac282

There's also classic kit. The question is, how long does it take for an old team strip to be acceptable?

crikey
    Free Member

…I'm not Freddy Maertens either..

oldgit
    Free Member

Guy who wears full Euskadel kit, including the matching Orbea bike

Got a guy around here the same, his bike is awesome, he looks like a real pro tanned the lot. In fact he just likes to go for a pootle and stop and sit on village greens. I see him a lot, and once fixed a squeal on his bike (loose rear wheel rubbing under load) nice bloke.
    That said I am a terrible snob, but polite and friendly though I'll punish any summer weekend warrior that wants a pop 8)

njee20
    Free Member

I suppose if it makes riding on a road seem more exciting then fair play to them

If what they are wearing has a bearing on their level of excitement they definitely conform to my stereotype of an idiot!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What do you think of this then..

Take the **** suitcase off the back of the saddle.

DWH
    Free Member

I reckon it's all a manifestation of the British obsession with class and putting / keeping everyone in their 'place'.

That's why I like racing so much, it doesn't matter what you ride or what you wear, the results speak for themselves.

Except apparently my results should have me wearing cut-off jeans and trainers when I'm out on the road. Oh well, I guess I'm "over-kitted". My apologies in advance to everyone that is offended as they overtake me.

I'll try to remember to shout "Slow down!" so you can make a proper indignant forum post.

crikey
    Free Member

Real Man, a critic would say shorts look too short, and jersey looks a bit too big.

Dougal
    Free Member

Realman – What do you think of this then..

Polkadot jersey while riding a triple? Fail.

Dickyboy

Wouldn't even know what was or wasn't team kit & care even less what other people ride when out on their bikes, just find it mildly amusing when some riders do their darnest not to see my cheery wave as we pass by 😀

theboatman
    Free Member

Plenty of sports provide people with the cash to equipe themselves with pro-level kit whilst maybe not having pro-level skills, but if it makes them happy then there is no harm. It's not my cup of tea, so I don't do it, nor have I got the cash. But if pointing and laughing makes you feel superior and better about yourself, well it says more about you really.

RealMan
    Free Member

Possibly, the jersey was given to me as a present. Might not be complete right size, but I love it. Shorts too short? Crazy talk.

Polkadot jersey while riding a triple? Fail.

Not being able to tell the difference between a triple and a compact? Do I even have to say it?

tragically1969
    Free Member

There is only on perosn that should wear the polka dot\yellow\rainbow\national champs jersey and that is the guy who won it, end of story…

DWH
    Free Member

I usually wear either a Stiff Little Fingers sweatshirt, a Che Guevara t-shirt or a Decathlon cycling top whilst on the road bike.

I'm curious.

Do you wear the SLF sweatshirt so people know you like that band? Presumably so they can say: "Oh, I like/don't like/have never heard of SLF". Or is there another reason?

Similarly, do you wear a Che t-shirt to show solidarity with the Comrades or something?

Like I say, I'm just curious. I don't really 'get' those sorts of designs. I'm guessing you're trying to tell people something – I'm just not sure what?

GaryLake
    Free Member

I wear a Cervelo jersey and jersey only, plain bibs/socks etc. But I ride a Cervelo… is that ok? Just thought I'd check.

I generally think if you want to wear a team jersey then fine. I even think if you want to wear a yellow jersey fine. Generally if you're in full kit, or a green/polka jersey, you better be quick and good.

Don't know why the green/polka bothers me though, maybe it's the yellow just says you like cycling, the other two are making some sort of statement about how good you think you are…

RealMan
    Free Member

There is only on perosn that should wear the polka dot\yellow\rainbow\national champs jersey and that is the guy who won it, end of story…

It does sort of transfer to other sports though. You going to tell an 8 year old to take off his manchester united shirt cause he's not good enough to wear it? Nothing wrong with showing you support something. Nothing wrong with having a few aspirations.

the other two are making some sort of statement about how good you think you are…

If it makes you feel better, when I do wear that jersey, I do attack on every single hill. And I'm not what you'd call slow up the hills.

twinklydave

As long as you're wearing something eh, that's the main thing. 😉

Blackhound

Agree with Crikey on this one.

When I started out I was not a member of a club and bought a Carrerra jersey (1992) as it was Stephen Roche's team mainly. Since then tended to go away from team strips (i.e. Rapha – but thats another thread!) except what I consider the classic Peugeot jersey I bought a couple of years ago. I do own a very old Dutch or Belgian possibly semi-pro jersey which is in my county colours so appealed to me.

I also have one of the first STW jerseys which I like – not sure if that marks me out as a knob or not though!

On balance rather people were riding.

RustySpanner

I bought the sweatshirt outside their first Mancunian gig after reforming, back in the 'eighties. I like the design and it brings back a lot of happy memories.

It's got quite a few holes in it where the creosote I used to paint the fence ate away the fabric, but it's comfy, made of very light cotton, and functions perfectly well over a base layer. I've worn it at both the bike races I've ever entered and may wear it again at the third on Saturday.

The Che T shirt was a present, along with a book on photography, from my partner.
    I love Alberto Korda and think it's a wonderful iconic image of a very different time.

I'm sure both may pigeon-hole me as a romantic old lefty who never quite grew up, which is absolutely fine by me. 😀

Dougal
    Free Member

Not being able to tell the difference between a triple and a compact? Do I even have to say it?

Pretty hard to tell with such a small photo. Your mate has one, and looking at the bandage on your knee, you could do with one too.

If it makes you feel better, when I do wear that jersey, I do attack on every single hill. And I'm not what you'd call slow up the hills.

I would. 😉

DWH
    Free Member

I'm sure both may pigeon-hole me as a romantic old lefty who never quite grew up, which is absolutely fine by me.

You'll be pleased to know that they do <smile>.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Roadies and team kit’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts