Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Roadie Rage.
  • zippykona

A slightly amusing incident happened to me today.
    Driving up to Newlands Corner today we encountered Mr Angry Roadie who was gesticulating and shouting at a car who was hindering his progress up the hill.
    The reason the car was going so slow was that there was another roadie in front of him and there wasn’t room to overtake safely..
    Sometimes we (they) don’t do ourselves any favours.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sure he wasn’t shouting at his mate to get a move on?

psling
    Free Member

Had the driver of the car just overtaken him and squeezed back into the gap that wasn’t there?

bails

Had the driver of the car just overtaken him and squeezed back into the gap that wasn’t there?

That’s what I was thinking, driver only manages half an overtake and barges the roadie out of the way to get back on the correct side of the road.

Kryton57

2 incidents for me this weekend. A) white van man sailing past safely on a big wide road with his mate leaning out the window shouting “****” for no apparent reason. B) woman overtakes me on a main road through a forest where i was at speed and immediately slams on the anchors and turns left into a visitor car park, nearly with me in the boot.

The last one was particulary annoying as i was on 2% 6km a strava segment and pushing a 300w average at the time, destined to be at the sharp end of the leaderboard. 😀

taxi25
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking, driver only manages half an overtake and barges the roadie out of the way to get back on the correct side of the road.

I love these totally invented scenarios that serve the belief that cyclists can do no wrong and motorists are always the bad guy. 😀 The thing is the driver probably safely overtook one cyclist pulling into a perfectly reasonable gap, but before he can overtake the next rider the other guy who would have passed the other cyclist closes up. I’ve been the cyclist and motorist in this situation, and just like motorists have to be patient, sometimes so do cyclists.

funkmasterp

I had the shock of my life tonight driving home. Driving down a local country road, just cruising around a sharp bend and there’s a guy just stopped on his bike, fiddling with his phone, in the middle of the lane 😯 I eased off and drifted in to the other lane and went around him.

I was actually quite worried because there’s a lot of idiots on that stretch and if someone came around that corner at 50 or 60 (within the limit) they wouldn’t have time to avoid him. Self preservation was seriously lacking in that guy. If you must arse about with your phone, get off the road.

psling
    Free Member

The thing is the driver probably safely overtook one cyclist pulling into a perfectly reasonable gap, but before he can overtake the next rider the other guy who would have passed the other cyclist closes up

So, that would be a totally invented scenario then 🙄

onlysteel
    Free Member

You’ll find c0cks in all walks of life…..

taxi25
    Free Member

So that would be a totally invented scenario then

Given the evidence available it’s as likely a scenario as yours. But I didn’t wade in with a biased view just responded to yours.

zippykona

Angry roadie actually caught the car up and the reluctance of the driver to pass the other cyclist suggests he was a polite driver.

psling
    Free Member

Given the evidence available it’s as likely a scenario as yours. But I didn’t wade in with a biased view just responded to yours.

Well, I asked a question of the OP who was actually there so that’s hardly wading in with a biased view is it. In the interests of discussion I’m glad it stimulated your non-biased response though.

EDIT: and the OP has subsequently added information to clarify the real situation.

njee20
    Free Member

He posed an entirely sensible hypothetical scenario why the roadie may be annoyed. You refuted it with another hypothetical scenario, whilst being a bit of a tool about it. Psling 1 – Taxi 0 IMO.

taxi25
    Free Member

whilst being a bit of a tool about it. Psling 1 – Taxi 0 IMO

Wow, no wonder most people I know don’t post on here. If my putting a perfectly reasonable perspective on something I’m familiar with makes my a tool so be it. But go look in the mirror njee 🙄

psling
    Free Member

taxi25, you did indeed offer a perfectly reasonable perspective on something I’m sure you’re not the only one that is familiar with but you opened your post with “I love these totally invented scenarios that serve the belief that cyclists can do no wrong and motorists are always the bad guy” which to be fair, even with a smiley emoji, is an aggressive and narrow minded opening salvo dismissing alternative views to your own.

taxi25
    Free Member

“I love these totally invented scenarios that serve the belief that cyclists can do no wrong and motorists are always the bad guy” which to be fair, even with a smiley emoji, is an aggressive and narrow minded opening salvo dismissing alternative views to your own.

Not at all, like every cyclist I’ve been victim of dangerous and inconsiderate driving far to often. But what prompted my comment was the knee jerk reaction on here to paint motorists as the bad guys without knowing all or even any of the facts. And I’ll say it again, I read the op’s post and accepted it at face value. There could have been any number of preceding events which led to the cyclists anger, but I didn’t comment because I didn’t know the facts. You invented a scenario, to which I proposed an alternative. Your scenario could have been exactly right ( similar has happened to me often enough). But why jump straight in with it ?

chevychase

He was pissed off that you didn’t automatically agree with him taxi…

psling
    Free Member

Not at all, like every cyclist I’ve been victim of dangerous and inconsiderate driving far to often. But what prompted my comment was the knee jerk reaction on here to paint motorists as the bad guys without knowing all or even any of the facts.

Who posted a knee jerk reaction?

And I’ll say it again, I read the op’s post and accepted it at face value. There could have been any number of preceding events which led to the cyclists anger, but I didn’t comment because I didn’t know the facts.

But you did comment!

You invented a scenario, to which I proposed an alternative.

As I posted earlier – I asked a question, I didn’t invent a scenario.

ps I’m bored now so I’m more than happy for you to have the last word if you wish.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Agree rider pissed as his Strava climb segment KOM attempt has been killed by slow car and slow rider ahead. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

+1

“I love these totally invented scenarios that serve the belief that cyclists can do no wrong and motorists are always the bad guy” which to be fair, even with a smiley emoji, is an aggressive and narrow minded opening salvo dismissing alternative views to your own. to which you then added a totally invented scenario!

thegreatape
    Free Member

and just like motorists have to be patient, sometimes so do cyclists.

My lass did a TT the other night. We drove the route earlier in the day and saw that there was a short (30m) stretch of roadworks, traffic light controlled, on a long (1/4 mile) straight of a very quiet road. Since the road surface in the coned off section was untouched I thought to myself that were I in the TT and the road was clear I might just carry on through.

Later, when the TT was on, the roadworks had moved and started on a bend with no view of the road ahead. While I was waiting at the red light, a chap with a pointy helmet and very posh TT bike decided he’d pull out to go round me and not stop for the lights. When the car coming the other way appeared I could see him saying ‘SHIT!’ as he sat up, grabbed his brakes and stopped a ball hair from my back bumper 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It was my mate – he had just been in Shere Chocolat and had been told the price of his favourite Belgian fondant had just gone up by 20%. He was livid all the way from Shere to Clandon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Later, when the TT was on, the roadworks had moved

Quite surprised by this. They are usually cancelled if there are roadworks with traffic control on the course.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s in the middle of bumble****, on a road where there might be a car every 30 minutes.

km79
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

It was my mateHa! Good one!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& I got another big wave from a roadie today for hanging back on a climb with bends on it. 8)

Bez

The thing about the “invented scenario” is that it’s exactly the same as the OP: a plausible explanation for how one observed result (ie someone getting angry and gesticulating) came about.

The OP makes it fairly clear, even if implicitly, that he came across a scenario and then retrofitted the explanation to it. Which is exacly what Psling has done. It just happens to be a different one.

Given that Psling’s “scenario could have been exactly right…But why jump straight in with it?” why wouldn’t you ask the exact same of the OP?

All we know, assuming the facts in the OP to be true, is that one person seems to be angry with a driver and that there are at least two plausible explanations for it. It seems odd to use “knee jerk reaction” to describe the second one that was offered.

Anyway. This…

Sometimes we (they) don’t do ourselves any favours.

…is clearly silly. You (not we) aren’t doing me (us) any favours by perpetuating this tosh.

😉

xbaker
    Free Member

Only read the first five, or six comments, but some pretty good ones there, countering the first post.

Restores my faith in peeps on forums 🙂

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Re the roadworks TT situ, there’s no way a TT should have been held on a course with temporary lghts, I’d be questionning the organisers as they have turned it into a dangerous lottery.

xbaker
    Free Member

pistonbroke, that’s major dodgy. Generally TTs are dangerous, but road races on open roads is plain nuts! Especially now with the non-cycling driving public’s hate towards cyclist. Then again drivers don’t seem to deliberately use their vehicles as a lethal weapon when there’s more than three cyclist in a group. I think it’s called cowardice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Rage.’ is closed to new replies.