Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Roadie question/poll: typical drop from saddle height to handlebar height?
  • psychle
    Free Member

What’s it like on your setup? And what sort of bike is it (sportive, TT, audax, tourer etc etc)…

cheers 8)

psychle
    Free Member

guessing this was a sh1te question eh? 😳

will
    Free Member

Compact frame? Traditional Frame?

I’m compact and have about 5″ sticking out 😆

TheDoctor
    Free Member

saddle to bar drop 5.5cm, but then I cannot touch my toes 🙁

Oh and race bike

Oggles
    Free Member

Mine’s about 100mm on my Trek (race) frame. Thinking of dropping a couple of spacers for racing though 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

i inch and i cant reach the floor from the seat

Coleman
    Free Member

Top of bars at least 5″ lower than saddle on road bikes.
    A bit less on the cx bike – around 3.5″

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t ride such things but my brother does and his seat to bars drop is 7-8″. He is rather tall and could possibly do with a bigger frame!

mikey74
    Free Member

What defines this? I’m interested because my Trek race bike was sized for me by a local roadie shop after taking all my measurements, and my handlebars aren’t far off being at the same level as my saddle. The stem has a distinct rise to it.

Is this wrong?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

What defines this? I’m interested because my Trek race bike was sized for me by a local roadie shop after taking all my measurements, and my handlebars aren’t far off being at the same level as my saddle. The stem has a distinct rise to it.

Is this wrong?

No, drop depends almost entirely on how flexible you are! can you touch your toes, or only get to your knees?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m pretty flexible, and can easily touch my toes, and beyond.

Perhaps they set it up like that because I told them I was a mountain biker, and they immediately assumed I was a bit lardy and inflexible :mrgreen:

Perhaps I’ll try a lower stem. What roadie stem? 😆

IainGillam
    Free Member

20cm – road. Slammed down to get the correct saddle to bar pad drop for when I use tri-bars in TT’s. Track bike has the same saddle height and the drops on the bars are about an inch from the top of the front tyre!

mikey74, not wrong probably as a result of what kind of riding you told them you did and how flexible you are. Lower on the front gives you a more aggressive position which can be more aero but can strain your lower back or cause a drop in the power you produce.

Iain

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Dunno, not crazy, but a lot lower than many I see about. If you’re in the drops, your knees should just dust your lowest rib either side as you pedal – that’s comfy enough for 8-9 hours at a stretch.

Oggles
    Free Member

Perhaps I’ll try a lower stem. What roadie stem?

You can flip it upside down, unless it’s already set up like that. They usually come built pointing up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Roadie question/poll: typical drop from saddle height to handlebar height?’ is closed to new replies.