Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Roadie question, etiquette.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Is it good form to let someone know when you want to slipstream them? Or is it ok simply to catch their wheel, take advantage of their air and say nothing?
    Etiquette? Courtesy?

Does it have an effect on the lead rider?

Junkyard
    Free Member

panting heavily after catching them works for me I always pull alongside doing this and nod head to show I will drag till I can speak. Sometimes they are ok sometimes they hammer it and drop me.

simondbarnes

Is it good form to let someone know when you want to slipstream them?

Yes. If the rider in front doesn’t know someone is sat on their wheel then there is a risk of that rider riding into their back wheel should the rider in front slow/sit up.

donsimon
    Free Member

When I realised he was there, I saw his shadow, I did briefly think about brake testing him! 😈

scaredypants

I believe it makes you slightly more aerodynamic too, ie a small benefit to you

Mister-P
    Free Member

Always say hello or you will get dropped.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I always ask and if I can I’ll pass them and do a turn at the front.

Anyone catching my wheel and doing a sneaky bit of draughting risks a snot shower when I clear my nose out whether I know they’re there or not.

Drac

I always scream “have it” before screaming past no handed given them the bird with both hands.

donsimon
    Free Member

I always scream “have it” before screaming past no handed given them the bird with both hands.

Really?

edhornby

definitely say hello and ask if you can ‘hang on for a bit’

then when you’ve recovered some, ask if he/she want’s you to do a turn – if you can hold the speed then you should do a turn and give the other rider a breather, only fair

samuri
    Free Member

Tag on without notifying them, gather your breath and then wait for them to try and drop you. If they look round at you just glare back, maybe get on the drops to show them you’re ready for a race.

Once you’re fully recovered and they’re knackered and waiting for you to take your tip, do what Drac said.

It’s the only language roadies understand.

cp

ok, during a race, i can understand taking turns, but just out for a ride?… so what???!! i really don’t care if some one wants to tag on, and I’m generally aware of what’s going on around me to know if someone is there. Quite a confidence boost actually if someone jumps on but can’t/wont go on the front…

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

….we’re not going down the commuter racing route again are we??

<sigh>

cynic-al
    Free Member

extremely rude IMO.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Appeared to be no rules on the cycle part of the tri I just did! A few very near misses but a lot of fun.

druidh
    Free Member

If I turn around and see someone on my tail, I just think “Christ mate, you must be really unfit”. These people need pitied, not pilloried.

roper
    Free Member

The worst I had was a few cub members tagging on behind me. I looked back at the guy in a red top, he nodded so I kept the pace up. After a few minutes I looked back to see if someone wanted to take the lead and there was a guy in a yellow top. I carried on and realised the third man was now behind me, so basically they were slip streaming each other but not me, the cheeky beggars.

Normally for safety I do let someone know if I tag on behind them for a bit, but it normally end in a bit of a natter too.

Drac

Yup really Don makes it a better sport when they’re raged, the adrenaline gives them a boost even more so if I’m on my patriot.

radoggair
    Free Member

i’ dont think i’ve ever had someone catch me up on a solo ride before. Generally though when i overtake people and they seem or look to be strongish i always ask them to ‘join on if you can’. Basically letting them know that i am going quicker than them but if they can or want to then i have no probs letting them tag along

donsimon
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Yup really Don makes it a better sport when they’re raged, the adrenaline gives them a boost even more so if I’m on my patriot.

OK, fair enough then.

So not a question of etiquette then, simply courtesy. I guess next time I’ll just have to drop down the cassette and give ’em a run for their money.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GO DON!!!!

Seriously though what is the difference between courtesy and etiquette?

samuri
    Free Member

So not a question of etiquette then, simply courtesy. I guess next time I’ll just have to drop down the cassette and give ’em a run for their money.

And therein lies the answer. If someone doesn’t like you on their wheel, they can always try and drop them. If that works, sweet, if not, the tailer will get bored after a while and pass.

I would say if you’re going fast enough for someone to *have* to stick on your wheel rather than passing then you’re probably up for a race anyway. I know I am. Nothing makes me happier than looking round and seeing someone there (edit: although in reality this has only ever happened after I’ve passed them first), waiting. I don’t care if they beat me in the subsequent sprint, it’s all good fun.

donsimon
    Free Member

Seriously though what is the difference between courtesy and etiquette?

I think etiquette would be not shooting someone in the back while courtesy would be not shooting them at all.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Does it have an effect on the lead rider?

I’m sure I can feel the difference in air flow when someone is close behind. Not sure if it makes any difference though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Roadie question, etiquette.’ is closed to new replies.