Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Roadie Q: Brake caliper install
  • meandyuk

Hi,

I’m in the process of swapping over my front brakes (Tiagra 4600) and i’ve found that the ‘caliper fixing nut’ is not long enough.

The frame is a cube GTC with their own CSL race forks, which are tapered and a lot fatter than my old ones.

I’ve got a 38mm nut but this doesnt seem to be long enough and I can’t find any longer ones out there??

Any ideas 😉

Thanks

kilo

you are fitting a front caliper and not a rear one?

crazybaboon

You can get longer nuts, some forks come with the required nuts
    38 mm already sounds pretty long

meandyuk

Yeah I thought I may be fitting the wrong one but i’m pretty sure i’m not as the rear one has a shorter screw bit on it.

That’s my own measurement of what I have, 38mm – it’s still about 20mm short though i reckon. I’m wondering if i’m missing something here!!

wwaswas

the head of the bolt/nut thing will normally go into the recess in the back of the fork – it doesn’t need to be as long as the fork is thick?

meandyuk

Yeah, other road bikes seem to have the bolt/nut reccessed but this fork doesnt seem to.

Have taken some pics so you can see the problem:-

argondon
    Free Member

Hi I have the exact same issue, can Nyone tell me the required length of nut please?
    Cheers

garage-dweller

Been there, done it and fixed with a 50mm nut.

You need to have a word with your lbs. Mine cost me some biccies! They are often a workshop spare (left over from retail packs with aftermarket brakes or from fork fittings) but I couldn’t find a “retail” pack/product for one of these longer nuts anywhere online.

tonyg2003

A lot of Campag brakes come with a variety of lengths of bolts. Maybe someone with a Campag brake set can give you a longer bolt?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Q: Brake caliper install’ is closed to new replies.